Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Almost can't even say this....

Old 08-20-2015, 10:47 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Almost can't even say this....

Been thinking for quite some time about the timing of letting go of my '96TT. It's not a matter of "if" but "when". My wife and I have five collector cars right now and the TT is by far the most valuable. We're within 2-3 years of retirement and want to really simplify our life as we get to that point....or even in the next few years as we prepare for that. I personally don't want all the trappings of the great life we've lived for a long time. We both want the future to be very simple, easy and unburdened. The only problem is that we be both also like all of our sh#*t!. I have one car already up for sale. My '68 survivor F100 pickup is next. I feel like the right thing is to now sell the TT. My wife LOVES the car and struggles with the sale as much as I do
(right now she says she's not ready). At the same time, it's clear to us that we will not keep it into our retirement. What's a guy to do?!?!?!?!

I'm not convinced prices will continue to climb. In fact they seem to have already leveled off a bit. Sell now? Rip the band-aid off and be done with it? Can you tell I'm torn? Classic case of wanting one's cake and eating it too. I love the car! Don't want to give it up but I don't want it longer term either!

Maybe putting something on paper is the first step. Maybe thats the last I think of it for another year or two. Or maybe something in the process of thinking this out gets me to a point where I can actually do it.
Old 08-20-2015, 11:42 PM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These decisions are tough and no one can really help you through it. I have probably bought and sold 40+ cars in my lifetime, but only had regrets about 1 or 2. Here is a decision-making algorithm that a friend shared with me and I believe it helps in getting to your true feelings. Flip a coin - heads you sell, tails you don't. If it comes up heads and your heart skips a few beats, you have your answer . . . keep it. Good luck with your decision-making. Look at the bright side - 99%+ of the world's population would love to have this dilemma.
Old 08-21-2015, 09:49 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Sell it. Simplification is good.
Old 08-21-2015, 04:59 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 232 Likes on 155 Posts

Nooooooooo!
Old 08-21-2015, 07:05 PM
mausone46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm 57 and almost in the same situation as yours, with a TT and an Carrera 3,2 plus 2 motorcycle and a small RV, then some bicycle to ride and less spare time to do all that
I should sell because I want an old Alfa Romeo too, inexpensive and an old dream plus next year I got a Mustang V8 as DD too

we know we should............
Old 08-21-2015, 08:04 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd sell, market taking a dump today, and that's likely to continue we may see leveling of the air cooled turbo phenomena.
C

Last edited by TT Surgeon; 08-21-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I was in same boat. Retired 4 years ago. Wanted to simplify my life. Sold 5,000 sq ft house with 73 acres of land. Sold the 96 turbo because I did not think I would have room for it in my new smaller house and frankly because I did not love it as much as my 03 turbo x50 ( I know. Sacrilege ) For me it was the correct decision but only because I did not love the car. If you love it don t sell it. You will regret it. As for me, I' m about to pull the trigger on an 05 x50 cab. So much for not having room.

I like the coin flip concept a lot.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-21-2015, 10:13 PM
Receiver
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

One last thing. I ve always said that when the economy is good, these cars are worth a fortune. When the economy is bad, you can't give them away. I personally think that these 993 turbo prices are a blip that will not last in the long run. Just my opinion though.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:50 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by mausone46
I'm 57 and almost in the same situation as yours, with a TT and an Carrera 3,2 plus 2 motorcycle and a small RV, then some bicycle to ride and less spare time to do all that
I should sell because I want an old Alfa Romeo too, inexpensive and an old dream plus next year I got a Mustang V8 as DD too

we know we should............

Yes. Forgot my bikes....bicycles that is. Never enough time to ride those and that is my real passion. I bought a 914 2.0 survivor last year and I think that will be my car for retirement. It's a stunningly original car and sooo much fun to drive and easy to maintain. I agree....
Old 08-22-2015, 12:52 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by TTKan
These decisions are tough and no one can really help you through it. I have probably bought and sold 40+ cars in my lifetime, but only had regrets about 1 or 2. Here is a decision-making algorithm that a friend shared with me and I believe it helps in getting to your true feelings. Flip a coin - heads you sell, tails you don't. If it comes up heads and your heart skips a few beats, you have your answer . . . keep it. Good luck with your decision-making. Look at the bright side - 99%+ of the world's population would love to have this dilemma.
Not a bad idea but I know my heart would skip a beat but that still would not be my answer. Even when I'm ready my heart would drop at the reality of it.
Old 08-22-2015, 12:58 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Receiver
One last thing. I ve always said that when the economy is good, these cars are worth a fortune. When the economy is bad, you can't give them away. I personally think that these 993 turbo prices are a blip that will not last in the long run. Just my opinion though.
Yeah, I can't disagree. If I'm inclined to sell, now would not be a bad time. Now, the other interesting challenge is even if I get myself there, I'm not sure Sara can get there yet. Not a bad problem to have when your wife wants you to keep your cars more than you do!
Old 08-22-2015, 11:19 AM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 99 Posts

I was reading one of those dastardly 'pricing threads' and someone made an interesting point that that 65 million dollar multi lot of cars from one person in Monterey may be the canary in the mine. Nevertheless, for now, demand top dollar!

Last edited by PiB993; 08-22-2015 at 12:00 PM. Reason: edited for clarity
Old 08-22-2015, 01:22 PM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know that the prices for the 993 twin turbos move with the market. Look at it this way. If you have $150k+ you are worried about putting more money in equity markets and you earn nothing in a savings account so why not put it in a real asset that you can enjoy. I know a few dealers that tell me that their business is better when the markets are down. Go figure.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:08 PM
mausone46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In October 2009 I sold my 2003 996 4S and was glad to put the money plus 30k $ out of the stock market and in in the real asset fun market
Old 08-22-2015, 08:42 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by mausone46
In October 2009 I sold my 2003 996 4S and was glad to put the money plus 30k $ out of the stock market and in in the real asset fun market
Yup. I bought mine the same year and if I sold today would probably be at 2.5 times what I paid. No doubt a good investment. But, as all investments, there is a time to exit....this one may just be driven by our process if simplifying life. And the time seems right from a market perspective too. Need more time to think about it. Mentioned to my wife tonight also.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Almost can't even say this....