Race Director

Default 993TT to Cayman GT4

Anybody made this move?

Any comparisons yet?

thanks.
Old 07-31-2015 | 11:18 AM
Boober
Racer

Definitely the most appealing new Porsche for fans of the air cooled cars, the super exclusive availability will be both HIGHLY attractive to the investment folks and HIGHLY disappointing for those of us who are not 918 owners and just want to drive the things. If I can get my wife to agree to relearn manual, I might try to get a Boxster Spyder as they will not be limited production.
Old 07-31-2015 | 03:16 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

thinking about it as an addition. Guy down the hall's GT4 has been built and is in route so I hope to get an early test drive
Old 07-31-2015 | 09:51 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Why can't you upgrade a Cayman GTS from a 3.6 to a 3.8 or even a 3.4 to 3.8? There are a few shops who does this already. What else do you need? Brake and complete suspension work on top of an engine swap?

I know the resale and warranty is an issue but people are paying $20K over MSRP for a GT4 which is the same as pissing money away as soon as the GT4RS is announced...
Old 07-31-2015 | 11:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

yeah, I hear that. I would not buy a new one, but rather give it a year or two and see what the cpo market looks like.
Old 08-01-2015 | 12:58 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

I'd really love to have a GT4. I could never let go of my TT due to sentimental reasons. Even if something occurred and the opportunity to buy one arose, I don't know how much owner servicing, I could do. If most everything could be done, then yes I'd jump on it.
Old 08-01-2015 | 02:58 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Definitely a hot topic around here with the values of the TTs so high you can get into a GT4 (assuming you were quick enough to lock down a spot) and have enough money left over to do a NB 993 or something else to complement the GT4.

Is selling a TT worth doing that ? I think everyone has a different opinion on that, with lots of variables driving anyone's decision. I have seen opinions from "no-way-Jose, the prices will keep rising and it would be a stupid move" to "you-would-be-nuts-not-to-sell-now.".

You can't play without being in the game, so I will admit that I do have a GT4 deposit in, locked a spot in the queue and am close to the top for the next batch of allocations - but no firm commitment yet .

Where the rubber meets the road is when my SA phones me and says "Ok, your allocation is approved, let's get a committed order in" - that is going to be a interesting day. Sell the Turbo, keep it, not sure. I have been driving 993's for 14 years now, and I have an itch to expand my horizons and try something else for quite a while now.

In the current Porsche offerings, the bang for the buck is clearly highest with the GT4. It also comes with a few issues, the primary ones being no GT level engine, and long long gearing.

For a long time an item on my bucket list is to experience a factory delivery, and a GT4 is pretty well the only new Porsche that I can both afford and want to do that delivery. Getting older, gotta get onto that ..

I have serviced Cayman's, Boxster's, 991's, 997's - the basic servicing is real simple (like oil changes/brakes/plug changes/etc) - the sticky part is when it gets deeper, especially in the electronics and control systems, the a home mechanic either has to build up more specialized tools or take it in. That part could hurt.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 08-01-2015 | 08:43 AM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

@Mike J: Nooooo. Lease the GT4, keep the 993. As with the Cayman S, there will always be then next hot Cayman. Scratch the itch for 3 years, get factory delivery, then come back to the 993 of which there will never be another like it.
Old 08-01-2015 | 08:49 PM
kilodawg
Racer

I will be doing it. As soon as my allocation comes through (I'm now third on the list at my local dealer) the TT goes up for sale. You will see it here first. It's a great low/mid mileage car with 36,300 and holding but I just can't see driving it much at this point. The GT4 will be a different story...
Old 08-01-2015 | 08:52 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by kilodawg
I will be doing it. As soon as my allocation comes through (I'm now third on the list at my local dealer) the TT goes up for sale. You will see it here first. It's a great low/mid mileage car with 36,300 and holding but I just can't see driving it much at this point. The GT4 will be a different story...
So, what for you what is driving this decision - that the value of your TT is soooo high now that it's a logical move to cash out?
Old 08-02-2015 | 04:30 PM
kilodawg
Racer

For me it's relatively simple. There is the cash out but that's only a part of it. I went from a nice 84 Carrera to an 88 factory slant, to the 96 993TT all at about the right time so that in the past 10 years I only committed about $25K in the jump between all three cars. So all of this has been a blessing. However, the main reason is that I want a car I can take to the track for some DE's, autocross and just have fun with. I love the Cayman platform and I will be much more comfortable doing it with the GT4 than with the holy grail 993TT. Add to the mix euro delivery and a new car with the latest technology and it's a no-brainer for me. My one concession to old school is that the newer 911's are just too big so that definitely puts me in the GT4 and finally with it's limited availability I will be minimizing depreciation as well. All wins from my perspective.
Old 08-03-2015 | 11:08 PM
BrandonH
Rennlist Member

this may not be exactly the answer you are looking for but: A shift has occurred in the build quality and general heft of materials and design after the aircooled era. No question the Cayman is an incredibly capable car but it is still much more of a mass produced product than your tt. At the racetrack, for example, the boxsters (and the Cayman is a souped up boxster) are always replacing wheel bearings, breaking transmissions, adding workarounds for brake cooling, oil starvation etc. The 911 era of which the tt is a member was a time of bulletproof systems and radical over-engineering of components. You'll miss that when you go, mark my words...
Old 08-03-2015 | 11:47 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BrandonH
this may not be exactly the answer you are looking for but: A shift has occurred in the build quality and general heft of materials and design after the aircooled era. No question the Cayman is an incredibly capable car but it is still much more of a mass produced product than your tt. At the racetrack, for example, the boxsters (and the Cayman is a souped up boxster) are always replacing wheel bearings, breaking transmissions, adding workarounds for brake cooling, oil starvation etc. The 911 era of which the tt is a member was a time of bulletproof systems and radical over-engineering of components. You'll miss that when you go, mark my words...
Funny that you stated that. The last time I was at MRLS, heard of a Cayman R that had a major "oil starvation" issue during a session. Car was towed away. But, I would still love to have a GT4. Just doubt I could part with my TT, to do it. :-)
Old 08-04-2015 | 08:59 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by BrandonH
I hear that to some degree. I have a 997TT and its not quite built to the standard of the 993.

I'd really have to drive a GT4 to know whether its worth the negatives, but that will be a tall order for a while.
Old 08-04-2015 | 01:47 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

I really like the GT4. But I would personally not consider selling my 993tt to get one.

The 993tt is a classic. Will always be sought after and continue to rise in value.

The gt4 is a cool car at the moment but as soon as the next cool cayman hits the floor it will drop like a rock in value.
I also see a correction in price when it comes to 997 gt3 and RS. Quite a lot for a regular gt3 and a little smaller correction for RS.

Just my 0.02!

Quick Reply: 993TT to Cayman GT4