Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my TT for a 991 GT3...

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 01:15 AM
toddturbos
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thinking of selling my TT for a 991 GT3...

I never thought I would consider selling my TT, but the new GT3 really seems to be a spectacular Porsche. All the reviews I've read, indicates it's one if the best, if not the best Porsche produced. I currently have 22,700 miles on mine and it's completely dialed in, I've gone overboard with completing all the maintenance, even more then required, so for all intensive purposes, it's perfect.

I know from a value standpoint, our 993 TT's will surely continue to increase and I would assume the GT3 will not be as desirable as Porsche continues to improve the GT3's, but there is something to be said about being able to enjoy the porsche without all the stress of worrying whether or not someone is going to run into you and damage the porsche. i will not go anywhere that requires me to park the TT and leave it out of my sight.

I think if I sold my TT and bought the gt3, I would drive it more often and not stress as much.

I'm curious if anyone else has the same concerns and is considering the GT3?

Thanks. Todd
Old 03-06-2015, 03:09 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Have you driven one?

The two cars are completely different, and this topic has been discussed before - and there are no clear answers, its a completely personal decision, with many many factors that can come into play.

Some people like the latest and greatest, others like simplicity and no electronic nannies, some people do all their own maintenance, some do not know which end of a hammer is the working end and take it always to the dealer regardless.

Are there people considering this choice - sure. I know of at least one guy here who moved from a 993TT to a 997.2 GT3 RS and has not looked back.

As for the 991 GT3, once concern is that engine has not been proven at a motorsport level yet (or at least I dont think so) - the 997 GT3s have.

My buddy asked me this a while ago which helped me : I think you need to decide what you want a sports car for, and that can drive your decision: To look at? To drive? to wrench on? .... or all of the above?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-06-2015, 05:28 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 173 Posts

seriously. Ditch your Black Series and get the 991GT3.

Keep the Turbo even if you mothball it.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:19 AM
mausone46
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm curious if anyone else has the same concerns and is considering the GT3
same concerns, but i will not buy a watercooled car, instead i bought a Carrera 3,2 to drive so often is possible
Old 03-06-2015, 08:50 AM
richk
Drifting

Received 883 Likes on 366 Posts

Agreed they are totally different cars and the 993tt for sure is a classic. That said, I am a Porsche turbo guy and am blown away with the 991GT3.

I think it also comes down to your driving style and what you want to do with the car. Either way you win!!!
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
toddturbos
Racer

Mike, all great feedback, thank you. I'm certainly not a guy who can wrench on it, I mostly look, wash and wax it, love the bodly lines/curves on the 993 and to be honest, I'm not the best driver. Seems to me someone who isn't as good as a driver, as I am, would benefit from the PDK set up.

No, haven't driven one yet, I would imagine that would be difficult to do.

tcsracing1, I like having the MB BS, it's an all together different experiences, lots of torque and it grunts and growls like an American muscle car with the sophistication of the European….
Old 03-06-2015, 11:46 AM
toddturbos
Racer

forgot to mention, I returned PM's...
Old 03-06-2015, 04:46 PM
msw
Racer

Received 105 Likes on 17 Posts

do you regret selling your turbo s?

just sayin…:-)
Old 03-06-2015, 06:33 PM
Pry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have to say I like your taste on cars. I'd recommend to test drive the GT3 and then decide which ever is the better experience for you. I personally wouldn't worry too much about the 993. Just drive it and if something happens fix it. I'd guess a new GT3 is more prone for vandalism than an old Turbo.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:01 PM
jcoles
Instructor

Todd, I picked up a new white MY15 GT3 in Dec. I drove it to work today and it's an amazing machine and I'm keeping the RPM's below 5k for break in. Can't wait to go to 9k. 920 miles currently.

I thought once I got it I would sell my 993tt. I've decided I can't do it. The cars are so different and I love them both. In fact, I've even decided to finally but Bilstein HD's and ROW springs on so I can finally have her handling right.

Both cars make me a bit nervous when driving them. All us Porsche owners know values will go down if they get hit.

If I had to choose one I would keep the 993tt. Just my opinion but there something very cool about owning an older Porsche with the classic interior and door closing sound etc. Not to mention the fact we are owning them for free right now.

You can't go wrong here but looks as if you have a perfect turbo and would be very hard to replace if you wanted one again.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:36 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 61 Posts

The 991 gt3 is an amazing car! I haven't got to track it yet, but everybody says it's great!
Like people said before it depends on what you are using it for?
It doesn't sound like you will take it to the track?
To trade a 993tt for a 997.3 and not track, my answer would be. Don't do it!
Trade it for a 991.3 and not track, why not?

One thing to have in mind is it's a lot bigger than your 993! Seems like you worry about door dings and such things? "So do I by the way"
I agree with previous post that it would probably be better to get rid of the black series!
Old 03-07-2015, 12:28 PM
myGT3RS
Track Day

Originally Posted by jcoles
Just my opinion but there something very cool about owning an older Porsche with the classic interior and door closing sound etc.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^A M E N^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old 03-07-2015, 02:53 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm a DIY and like the more traditional driving experience. My friend just bought a 991 gt3 and it will be fun comparing notes driving shot gun on his and other's 997 gt3's and gt3rs' at the track. I bought a F328 (was also considering early NSX) as a car I can use and still 'experience' all the things I like about older cars (as 993t values were rising and I admit some concern about values etc.), but the F328 values have recently jumped too.. I could sell mine now probably for close to 2x what I paid in Sep. - can't win . At least I guess I can split the milage between the two toy cars and drive both like they were meant to be!
Old 03-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Johnny_law
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
At least I guess I can split the milage between the two toy cars and drive both like they were meant to be!
Win-win!
Old 03-07-2015, 11:19 PM
toddturbos
Racer

What a great Forum this is, all very good feedback and I apprecte the input. If I didn't have the wifey factor, I'd keep the TT. It took heavy negotiations just to buy the TT and keep the MB BS. Today I hired a contractor to layout the garage to determine of I can squeeze a car lift, hence, making room for another car. If it works I may be able to keep the TT.

No, I'm not a track guy. jcloes, nice job on keeping both, can't wait to hear your feedback once you meet the break in requirements. Basal Skull, I'll be interested to hear your feedback as well once you've driven your friends GT3

On a side not, our local dealer called me today and had me compete a gt3 RS build and took a deposit from me. GT3 RS would be interesting too. Todd

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my TT for a 991 GT3...