Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of selling my TT for a 991 GT3...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 01:41 PM
jcoles
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Todd, I'm on the GT3 forum a lot and based on what I read, you would be one lucky guy to get a RS. First allocations are going to those who bought a 918. You would be even more lucky to find a dealer willing to part with one at MSRP. Take a few minutes and read those threads.

The RS is a bit too hard core for me. I'm not a track junkie and mainly take drives on weekends etc. However, I do think the car will hold its value well and you won't see too many of them around.

I tell my fiance my 993tt is a toyvestment and climbing in value I show her pricing threads once in awhile plus she loves the car. It is a lot easier to keep both when one isn't falling in price. I think the air/oil cool market will correct a bit but not totally drop.

I bought my tt from Truspeed in Newport Beach, CA. They are a sponsor on this site. Good people and mostly focus on older Porsche's. I saw them a few weeks ago and spent about a hour talking to Terry who is their main sales guy. I was amazed how many times the phone rang with people inquiring about their limited inventory of air cooled cars. The only had about ten of them and most were sold either going out of state or to Europe. That visit reminded me I was lucky to get one three years ago when prices were lower.

Last thought...the GT3 board also has threads saying guys are going to be selling their 14 and 15 GT3's once there RS build confirmation numbers come in. That might be a great time to get a slightly used one at a good price as there should be many around. That might be a good plan in order to keep both!!!!!!!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:08 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by jcoles
Last thought...the GT3 board also has threads saying guys are going to be selling their 14 and 15 GT3's once there RS build confirmation numbers come in. That might be a great time to get a slightly used one at a good price as there should be many around. That might be a good plan in order to keep both!!!!!!!
That sounds like a great idea!

I'm on the boat don't sell your TT if at all possible, sometimes these newer cars are really something when they are the latest and greatest. But it tends to wear off in a few years when the next new one comes along.

But end of the day you won't really know until you get out there and spend some seat time in the GT3.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:42 AM
mkhn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been pondering selling my TT since the 997.2 GT3RS came out. I know a few folks that did and are happy with the decision although the run up of values of the air-cooled cars gave them a little pause and then their cars went up like rockets as well, but it's all vapor value since no one was planning on selling for profit any ways.
I did drive an "older" RS just to kill some time while I was at a local dealership; I think it was an '07 and wow, even that was awesome. But, I just couldn't trade my TT for any of these...until maybe now. The 991 RS looks truly special and the drive experience has got to be insane. I love the hardcore, purpose built feeling of the RS and if there's any discomfort, I'm sure I'd like it in a "spicy sauce" kind of way

However, the same dilemma is there. The 993TT just has such natural beauty that I still am not tired of of. Between woman and the 993TT, they're in that kind of same category My TT has 24k miles all of which were true driving miles, ie. curves, mountains, etc so it gets driven relatively often enough that it's not a garage queen per say, but still pampered. My concern is if I trade it in, I'll definitely regret it. I have high confidence there will be a new and improved GT3 RS after the 991 and so between the two, Id err on keeping the TT and adding and RS rather than trading. I know that's not possible for everyone including me, but that'd be the only way I'd probably end up with an RS.

Sorry for the long spew.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:30 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by toddturbos
No, I'm not a track guy.
I think you will regret selling the TT. Newer cars have higher limits with improved handling and roads have not changed from when it was paved 60 years ago. There would be a GT3 in my garage if I plan to spend time at the track.

The experience from driving a 3TT on back country roads > any GT3.

Any significant track time: GT3 > 3TT would be a good option.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Newer cars have higher limits with improved handling and roads have not changed from when it was paved 60 years ago.
+1

a little frustrating to drive a really fast car on the street.

Even at the track, it's more fun driving an older car in my opinion. A novice in a 991 pdk can keep up with last gen gt3's/my car and drive longer with less fatigue on the track.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:27 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
+1

Even at the track, it's more fun driving an older car in my opinion. A novice in a 991 pdk can keep up with last gen gt3's/my car and drive longer with less fatigue on the track.
That is a great observation and something I have been thinking of quite a bit.

Given the draconian laws here in BC, you can have your car towed away if you are doing over 40km/hr (or 25 mph) above the speed limit, regardless if you are on a city street or the highway. There have been quite a few cars locally here impounded (some justifiable IMHO), some Porsche owners who are now in front of the courts for what in the US would be a regular highway speed.

So, while I find the new GT3's, 997.2 GT3 RS's, and this new GT4 really attractive from a feel and performance perspective, it suspect it would likely be a total exercise in frustration to drive these cars on the city or public roads. I am balancing that with either staying with my 993TT (which is still fast enough to get easily in trouble) or actually going earlier, using the adage of its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow...

Cars these days is sort of like an arms race - every year there are larger and more powerful guns at play, but the majority of the weapon operators are doing nothing to build up their skills to handle those changes. I find it scary when I see an 16 year old kid driving a 600HP car with a learner's permit - and you see that here quite a bit.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-09-2015, 06:46 PM
toddturbos
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

jcoles, I heard the same about the 918 owners having first dibs on the RS, and yes, I've been reading the 991 GT Forum. The dealership that offered me a spot, has been trying to get my business for a while and is the same dealership I had my TTS and TT PPI completed, they know me and both well. I'm not holding my breath, but if it happens, I'll jump on it.

I'm still working on keeping both (if I move forward with either GT3)

Mike (mkhn), I hear you and I agree on future GT3 models, I'm sure they will always be the next newest bright shinny toy on the block with more improvements.

Mike J, I like your reminder about the old adage, "it’s more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow”, although, I wouldn't categorize our TT's as slow, but yet, not as quick as the newest GT3's.
Todd
Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 PM
jcoles
Instructor

ii
Old 03-09-2015, 11:42 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

+1

You would think that a new 991TT would be smoking anyone on the track regardless of their ability. But the last day I had at MRLS, there was a guy in a 991 TT that would pull away a bit in the straights, but couldn't stay with me in the turns. I'm no pro and would've surely thought that thing could run circles around us all.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:43 PM
jcoles
Instructor

Oops. One thing I borrowed from the 993tt campaign and I love it every time I open my door. They didn't get the caps right but I'm happy.

Name:  ForumRunner_20150309_194317.png
Views: 332
Size:  498.4 KB
Old 03-10-2015, 11:14 AM
toddturbos
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

classic....
Old 03-10-2015, 08:51 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 107 Likes on 78 Posts

I had own a 1996 993tt for over 4 years and 2010 GT3 since Dec. 2014. Both cars are great, GT3 is more modern car, with lots of power, great a/c, draws lots of attention, but the clutch is heavier compared to the 993tt (my previos 1986 930 had a heavier clutch compared with GT3). Now the 993tt is classic look, is unique, great power and ride is softer.

If you have the opportunity of owning both you will understand, don't sell the 993tt, save money and buy a GT3 (997).
Old 03-10-2015, 10:59 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 32 Posts

... and drive longer with less fatigue on the track.
wait till they fall asleep behind the wheel of their boring PDK car and then pass them...
Old 03-13-2015, 03:39 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
wait till they fall asleep behind the wheel of their boring PDK car and then pass them...
Real men drive MANual.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:16 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default +1

Don't have a 993tt anymore but if still did this would be my position no doubt....
I am in love so far with what I see in the new 991 gt3rs...

Originally Posted by mkhn
I have been pondering selling my TT since the 997.2 GT3RS came out. I know a few folks that did and are happy with the decision although the run up of values of the air-cooled cars gave them a little pause and then their cars went up like rockets as well, but it's all vapor value since no one was planning on selling for profit any ways.
I did drive an "older" RS just to kill some time while I was at a local dealership; I think it was an '07 and wow, even that was awesome. But, I just couldn't trade my TT for any of these...until maybe now. The 991 RS looks truly special and the drive experience has got to be insane. I love the hardcore, purpose built feeling of the RS and if there's any discomfort, I'm sure I'd like it in a "spicy sauce" kind of way

However, the same dilemma is there. The 993TT just has such natural beauty that I still am not tired of of. Between woman and the 993TT, they're in that kind of same category My TT has 24k miles all of which were true driving miles, ie. curves, mountains, etc so it gets driven relatively often enough that it's not a garage queen per say, but still pampered. My concern is if I trade it in, I'll definitely regret it. I have high confidence there will be a new and improved GT3 RS after the 991 and so between the two, Id err on keeping the TT and adding and RS rather than trading. I know that's not possible for everyone including me, but that'd be the only way I'd probably end up with an RS.

Sorry for the long spew.

Quick Reply: Thinking of selling my TT for a 991 GT3...