Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 08:17 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sports Seats

Guys,

Maybe an ignorant question - but what is the difference between the Sports Seat option and the Standard seats on the 993TT.

Thxs

- james
Old 08-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Viken
Keeper of the Truth
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The sport seats have more lateral support on both the bottom and the back.

Sport seats

Standard seats

Old 08-15-2003, 08:40 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not all TT's had the sport seats. Sport seats have the hard plastic back and are more supportive ( subjective ).

What specifically do you want to know about them?
Old 08-15-2003, 08:53 PM
BABaracus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Viken...thank you for the pictures - they really helped.
Jeff, I am searching for the right 993TT to purchase, some adverts mention a sports seat option.
I just wanted to understand the difference between the two types, so I can make a decision if this is an option I want, when narrowing my selection.

Thxs

- james
Old 08-15-2003, 11:37 PM
Jeff 993TT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Personally, I like the sport seats and think they are a great option to have on a TT. They would cost about $3K to buy them on the used market nowadays.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:52 AM
John H. in DC Area
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

As the years fly by, my back is becoming more and more troublesome. My TT has standard seats, and I'm wondering if either the standard seats or the sport seats came/come with an adjustable lumbar support option? My Land Rover Disco's seats have terrific adjustable lumbar support and they saved my back on a 10-hour trip back from S.C. today. I'm in the planning stages for some long trips in the TT this fall and am thinking about seat options. I may just put a (sorry looking) lumbar pad back there, but would consider swapping my driver's seat for something else.
Old 08-16-2003, 08:53 AM
clubrcr
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

I personally like the sports seats, but there have many threads about the "comfort" of these seats. I have them in my 993tt and I think they are comfortable, but I am 5'8", 155lbs. Many of the threads center around larger people sitting in the sport seats and how they just don't feel right. I also agree with previous threads about the support or these seats. These are not track seats. I personally feel they don't give you that much more support than the stock seats. But the bottom line... I feel they make the car look more sporty.

John: I have an idea for you, I recently sold my 996 which I had bought a set of Recaro sport seats from www.fvd-usa.com. Recaro makes the seats for Porsche, and these look very similar. The difference.... these Recaro seats are far more comfortable and you can get lumbar support, best of all, you can also get them heated and cooled. I would tell you to go this route, they match the leather color from Porsche. I really enjoyed those seats and they looked factory in the car.
Old 08-16-2003, 03:01 PM
ksimpson
Racer

I'm very particular when it comes to car seats. My back isn't bad, I'd more call it sensitive. I'm therefore hard to please, but find the sports seats on my 96 4S to be very supportive.

They were a no cost option in the UK as far as I know. There isn't really a need for an adjustable lumbar support as you can easily lift up the lumbar cushion and insert some additional padding behind it. It's held in by velcro. The lumbar is something once adjusted correctly, you don't need to touch it again.

I see them on Gert's site for around €5k for a new set. Very expensive when you consider that the GT3 seats are only around €2.5k. I haven't tried the GT3 seats but imagine you'd need to be relatively slim to fit into them comfortably.

At the end of the day, we're all different shapes and sizes. Seat choice is a very personal thing.

Last edited by ksimpson; 08-16-2003 at 05:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2003, 04:17 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

I've had my sport seats for 8 years and find them to be more comfortable than the "comfort seats". I'm 6'2" and 205lbs and find that the additional support at the shoulders is what makes the difference during track use. There is an adjustable lumbar pad that moves with velcro and very minor seat disassembly.

Quick Reply: Sports Seats