Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oregon, Nor Cal Road trip. Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 01:10 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Red face Oregon, Nor Cal Road trip. Ideas?

This board has been so quiet, I'm thinking a little bandwidth will be OK.

Here's the deal. We're doing our family vacation in Lake Tahoe. We're gonna take two cars up there, because on Friday, 8/22, my 16-year-old son and I are splitting off for a road trip to Klamath Falls (to pick up a didgerydoo, of course) in our TT. We need to be in Santa Cruz on 8/25 for my moms bday. And we're gonna swing by ViperBob's place in Menlo Park on the way down, just to see what a true lunatic actually looks like. I'm sure that visit will cost me a great deal in future mods!

So, where was I? Oh yeah. We have a couple of days to kill sightseeing in So. Oregon/ No. Calif, on the way down. We've been to Crater Lake (a few years ago) but we're up for some great roads, nice sights, greasy burgers, and sleezy motels (its a guys road trip, remember). Anybody have any ideas? I'll fire up Mapquest when I get some destination ideas.

Please... we leave early Saturday morning (8/16), and I'll be computerless for 10 days or so. Help. Quickly.

Thanks
Old 08-15-2003, 02:25 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't help you Steve. Every time I start heading north out of the Bay Area, my car gets drawn to Sonoma and Napa and I never make it out of there for some reason.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:24 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi Steve:

OK,.......Got an Oregon map?????

Allrighty then,.....

1) Oregon 227 from Canyonville (on I-5) to Oregon 62 is awesome. This is the North Umpqua and Clark Gable used to spend a LOT of time here fly fishing. You can take 62 up toward the west entrance to Crater Lake or follow 62 over to US 97.

2) State 42 between Winston (on I-5) to the Coast is also awesome. You can go up the cost to Coos Bay or back down US 101 to 199 and back to I-5.

Those two will keep you busy,....

Bob: You gotta get out more, man,....

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 08-16-2003 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:46 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Steve,

There is some kind of homing device in my car that I can not find nor control when on these journeys. It is like the vinyards are calling my car, and it is responding. I have thought of exorcism, but I thought a computer upgrade would cure it. Maybe some more turbos and another refresh is in order to purge these demons and let me get on with exploring..
Old 08-15-2003, 11:48 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Road Trip

Why don't you take a break in San Luis Obispo on your way down the 101? I live about 2 miles of the highway and could use another tt fix and some schmoozing. Email me offline for phone# and directions.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:58 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Brother Bob:

I fully understand your dilemma and I am here to tell you that I "have the technology" to disable that device and "set you free",..... BTW, I do computer reprogramming,...LOL.

If you have not yet heard, Oregon has some of THE finest vineyards in the USA up here in the NW area of the state. Nothin' better than an Oregon Pinot Noir, Sir.
Old 08-15-2003, 11:59 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Steve,

You should stop by and see Don on your way. He has a very rare sunroof delete car and Guards Red (my personal favorite), and he is a very nice guy. It would be a perfect stop on the way back home...
Old 08-16-2003, 12:54 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

I just PM'd Don with my cell number. We're packing. I'll log on in a bit to see if there is any response.

I've got an Oregon map in front of me. We're starting off in Klamath Falls (to get the didgerydoo, of course), and we would like to travel south on 101. So, I'm thinking take the 140 West to 5, head North for a tad, then take 199 over to 101. We'd have to miss Coos Bay and the fabulous Oregon coast, but I don't think we have the time for that side trip. I wish I had time to head up to Portland and drop the car (and a wheelbarrow of cash), and pick it up in a few days, and jusy let you do your thing. I wish.
Old 08-16-2003, 02:45 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca are this weekend. A couple $1-2 million Ferraris are expected to be auctioned. The Lambo Gallardo is supposed to be launched, but that was earlier today I think. Sounds like the timing won't quite be right for your trip, except maybe on Sunday.
Old 08-22-2003, 07:30 PM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Steve,

If you are staring from Lake Tahoe, I'd take Highway 395 north. That's an incredible road.

I thought ViperBob is in Los Altos/Los Altos Hills? He moved to Menlo Park?

CP
Old 08-24-2003, 04:19 AM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Thanks for all the tips. We're not quite back from our trip; we're in Scotts Valley (next to Santa Cruz) at my daughter's house. She has DSL! Nice. Tahoe was great, but we left early due to rain. Got the didgerydoo from Jeramiah in Klamath Falls. Yes, took the 395 up to Susanville, then up the 139. Great drive. Then from Klamath Falls, we took 66 to Ashland (an amazing Porsche road), and then the mind-numbing I5, aided by the dulcet tones of a didgerydoo played by a beginner. To Coos Bay, then down to Gold Beach. Spent the night there, then from there down the 101 to Scott's Valley. We had to get here early because we planned to surprise my Mother for her Bday, but she had made other plans. So here we are.

The Porsche is running great, and is covered with bugs and dirt. She'll be washed tomorrow, before we see Viperbob. Tuesday, we're heading home, and will stop in SLO to visit Don Thompson, also from Rennlist.

Fun, Fun, Fun, but now I need to spend some family time.

Quick Reply: Oregon, Nor Cal Road trip. Ideas?