Sponsored by:

suspension choices ...help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:25 PM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default suspension choices ...help needed

My new (to me) 97TT came with a Bilstein HD / Techart springs combo and I find the ride to be VERY harsh. Granted the roads up here are not super nice, but I still want to look into options.

Would PSS10s on a "soft" setting be more comfortable? How about swapping the Techart springs for M030 springs?

I plan on doing 2-3 DE every summer so I do not need a track focused setup..

If someone local is willing to take me for a ride so that I can experience their setup, that would be a big bonus

Thanks!

Last edited by Cabarnak; 05-28-2014 at 02:11 PM. Reason: replaced m033 by m030...
Old 05-27-2014, 10:37 PM
simonheo
Instructor

Its the MO33 Euro spec or US spec? I have HD and Euro spec seems to be ok combo.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:54 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

Do some research on the 993 forum, there are tons of threads on this topic.

I heard that the techart/H&R combo you have is a bit harsh esp compared to the PSS10s. Never driven on M033 so I can't comment.

I have the PSS10s and my brother has the H&R coilovers. Comparing these 2, the PSS10s is definitely more comfortable. The system actually contains a helper spring which absorbs all the initial impact. Full soft will actually be softer than factory, just to give you a perspective. I would say it's the best system for street use with the occasional track day.

The other comparable to PSS10s are KWs.
Old 05-28-2014, 12:29 AM
pmalenfa
Racer

Originally Posted by Cabarnak
If someone local is willing to take me for a ride so that I can experience their setup, that would be a big bonus Thanks!
Hi Olivier, I have the default SUV setup and I plan to change for PSS10 someday. I've driven n/a widebody (c2s/c4s) with PSS10 and liked them (great look, adjustable and ride comfort).

I'm local to you, just send me a PM if you want to see the difference. But I doubt you will want to revert to OEM setup (too high).

Pierre
Old 05-28-2014, 08:23 AM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Originally Posted by Knight

I heard that the techart/H&R combo you have is a bit harsh esp compared to the PSS10s. Never driven on M033 so I can't comment.

I have the PSS10s and my brother has the H&R coilovers. Comparing these 2, the PSS10s is definitely more comfortable. The system actually contains a helper spring which absorbs all the initial impact. Full soft will actually be softer than factory, just to give you a perspective. I would say it's the best system for street use with the occasional track day.

I did read all the suspension threads, but could not find one that specifically commented on my setup vs others. PSS10s definitely seem to be the crowd's favorite, not many threads discuss the setup's comfort vs other setups...

I appreciate your input and I'm happy to read that PSS10s have a reputation to be more comfortable than my setup. If full soft is softer than stock than I might have found myself a winner!

Originally Posted by pmalenfa
Hi Olivier, I have the default SUV setup and I plan to change for PSS10 someday. I've driven n/a widebody (c2s/c4s) with PSS10 and liked them (great look, adjustable and ride comfort).

I'm local to you, just send me a PM if you want to see the difference. But I doubt you will want to revert to OEM setup (too high).

Pierre
Thanks! Will definitely pm you to arrange a meet. Whatever the setup that I end up choosing, having as many "real life" references as possible will help a lot.
Old 05-28-2014, 08:44 AM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Originally Posted by simonheo
Its the MO33 Euro spec or US spec? I have HD and Euro spec seems to be ok combo.
I should have written M030 (RoW)..
Old 05-29-2014, 01:47 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 43 Posts

One other thing you might want to check is your tire pressures. If they are per what's recommended on the driver's door channel, I believe 40+ psi, then this could also add to your uncomfortable ride. 34F/36R seems to be a good start.

If it's within your budget, you won't be disappointed with the PSS10s. Rarely do you see a thread complaining this set up.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:33 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

even the tire itself can make a big difference in comfort - switching from the OEM model Bridgestone to a more recent model provided a large comfort improvement
Old 05-30-2014, 01:18 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

One man's hard ride is another man's soft ... and so on.

The only way you are going to personally know is drive other cars with the alternative setups, and go from there (which is what you said). However, if you have a PSS or KW setup, at least you have a chance to adjust the firmness for your own style, but you pay a premium of 2 or 3 times a non adjustable shock.

What diameter wheels are you running, and what brand/size of tires?

Do you have the stock Turbo swaybars? RS or others can significantly impact the ride.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-30-2014, 02:24 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^^ ++++ What Mike said. If you haven't done so, go take a "very" stock car and see what you think. My car may seem stiff, but on good roads it's planted. I avoid roads that exact to much harshness. After driving other's 993's that aren't wound so tight, they feel big and disconnected.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:08 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 100 Posts

I'm still running the stock suspension that has such an ugly looking ride height. I find it harsh but have not played with the tire pressures yet running Continental DWS tires. (When I say it's harsh I'm comparing it to a stock e36 M3 that was pretty good handling) My turbo has been almost 2 years since an alignment and I'm only recently starting to 'push' the car a little harder to really explore it's handling. Based on positive comments practically everywhere I will switch to the pss10's but go for a bit longer with a new alignment first and adjust pressures.

BUT - Here's my concern. Much to my delight the 993 Turbo does no scrape going into my parking garage drive or other transitions. My fear is that will it be a problem after going to PSS10's. Historically, it seems like I'm the only guy that complains about driveway entrances and scraping. Is that going to become a problem with Pss10's and how do others deal with that situation? I'm not a fan of the skid bar that makes the clearance even less. Do others replace the front lower bumper valiance when needed? Interestingly, where I do scrape now is somewhere on the car at the rear going down transitions.

Don't mean to steal the OP's original question but it has a lot to do with my current situation where my stock ride seems too harsh and I have hopes that pss10's will be more plush on soft settings.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:27 PM
Cabarnak
Advanced

One other thing you might want to check is your tire pressures. If they are per what's recommended on the driver's door channel, I believe 40+ psi, then this could also add to your uncomfortable ride. 34F/36R seems to be a good start.

If it's within your budget, you won't be disappointed with the PSS10s. Rarely do you see a thread complaining this set up.
Yep - Lowered tire pressure to what you recommended last night and it did help! As for the PSS10s, I too have not seen any complaints so I might just pull the trigger

Originally Posted by Mike J
One man's hard ride is another man's soft ... and so on.

The only way you are going to personally know is drive other cars with the alternative setups, and go from there (which is what you said). However, if you have a PSS or KW setup, at least you have a chance to adjust the firmness for your own style, but you pay a premium of 2 or 3 times a non adjustable shock.

What diameter wheels are you running, and what brand/size of tires?

Do you have the stock Turbo swaybars? RS or others can significantly impact the ride.

Cheers,

Mike
Your comment about having to try different setups to make my opinion are bang on. I've received a couple of PMs from local folks (thanks!) and will try to arrange test drives this weekend.

Currently running stock turbo swaybars and tires are Pirelli P-Zero Rosso (installed by PO right before he sold me the car)

Originally Posted by PiB993
I'm still running the stock suspension that has such an ugly looking ride height. I find it harsh but have not played with the tire pressures yet running Continental DWS tires. (When I say it's harsh I'm comparing it to a stock e36 M3 that was pretty good handling) My turbo has been almost 2 years since an alignment and I'm only recently starting to 'push' the car a little harder to really explore it's handling. Based on positive comments practically everywhere I will switch to the pss10's but go for a bit longer with a new alignment first and adjust pressures.

BUT - Here's my concern. Much to my delight the 993 Turbo does no scrape going into my parking garage drive or other transitions. My fear is that will it be a problem after going to PSS10's. Historically, it seems like I'm the only guy that complains about driveway entrances and scraping. Is that going to become a problem with Pss10's and how do others deal with that situation? I'm not a fan of the skid bar that makes the clearance even less. Do others replace the front lower bumper valiance when needed? Interestingly, where I do scrape now is somewhere on the car at the rear going down transitions.

Don't mean to steal the OP's original question but it has a lot to do with my current situation where my stock ride seems too harsh and I have hopes that pss10's will be more plush on soft settings.
I have to use ramps (currently wood...but looking into options) to get my car in my garage so I can definitely understand where you're coming from Apart from that though, I do not scrape at all in normal driving situations.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:21 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by PiB993

You don't have to go at like the stupid wanna be street racers, but have you tried just a little dog leg as you approach? If you're hitting it straight on you'll probably always hit. It's your exhaust tips scraping in the rear. I know there's alot of steep crap in the SFBA so you may not escape some of it. Just a thought
Old 05-30-2014, 08:22 PM
PiB993
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 100 Posts

Yes, absolutely. The public must think I'm crazy (already do). At even stock I go at an acute (obtuse?) angle whether entering or exiting. The trouble is the narrow curbing entrance on each side limits my angle of attack. I have to focus on not clipping the rear tires too much.

Last edited by PiB993; 05-30-2014 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added further info
Old 06-11-2014, 10:09 PM
slicer
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

FYI - Helper springs do not absorb any "initial impact". Helper springs are fully compressed unless the car/suspension is un-weighted in the air. The sole purpose of the helper springs is to prevent the main spring from slipping out of place when the car is un-weighted (such as when hitting a large bump). They provide absolutely no bump absorption. They are most commonly used on suspension systems that have linear springs. Most progressive spring coil-overs do not require them.

Quick Reply: suspension choices ...help needed