Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

suspension choices ...help needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014 | 12:30 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by slicer
FYI - Helper springs do not absorb any "initial impact". Helper springs are fully compressed unless the car/suspension is un-weighted in the air. The sole purpose of the helper springs is to prevent the main spring from slipping out of place when the car is un-weighted (such as when hitting a large bump). They provide absolutely no bump absorption. They are most commonly used on suspension systems that have linear springs. Most progressive spring coil-overs do not require them.
Actually Knight's correct but has his terminology wrong. The PSS10's afaik have tenders, not helpers so the smaller springs are not fully compressed. You need to use the equation (axb)/(a+b) = spring rate.
Old 07-16-2014 | 02:32 PM
Cabarnak
Advanced

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd follow up on my original so that the thread is properly closed.

I lowered my tire pressure and it did make the ride better. I also took a test drive in another Rennlister's TT w/ stock setup and driving both cars back to back, we could not see a significant different in ride quality (if any)..as a result, while I still think that the ride is a tiny bit on the harsh side, I elected not to change anything at this time.

I hope to have an opportunity to drive a TT w/ PSS10...only then will I decide whether to buy them or not

Cheers,

Olivier
Old 07-18-2014 | 12:39 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Slicer, you beat me to it on the purpose of helper springs on higher-end Coil-over systems....ok, at least on my KW's the smaller springs are compressed...maybe the PS systems are different. I have KW V3's on a medium setting and I would say they are not harsh at all. We also have a 997s(wife's car) and with the sport button pushed I'd say the ride is actually more harsh than the V3's(on mid settings).

I have not heard a bad thing about PSS10's and would say if you have the funds going in that direction is worth it.

Quick Reply: suspension choices ...help needed