Sponsored by:

1997 Turbo - Brake Lights Not Working

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014 | 07:50 PM
Damien Lewis
Rennlist Member

Default 1997 Turbo - Brake Lights Not Working

Hi Guys,

I tried the search feature and for some reason I couldn't find any topics addressing my problem. So, I apologize in advance if there are a bunch of posts on this...but, I need a little help.

I purchased a 1997 Turbo yesterday. A fabulous one-owner car that was special ordered by the seller from the factory. He's only put 18,000 miles on the car since taking delivery in 1997 and has pampered the car since day one. It was recently serviced (and had the brake fluid changed - among other things). The seller is a great guy and I'm honored and excited to be the cars next custodian.

I brought the car to a friends house last night to show him my new purchase - this car will replace my beloved 993 Cab - and he proceeded to get in the car and move it forward while I watched from behind. Lo and behold, I discovered that the brake lights didn't function. I opened the hood, checked the fuse box and couldn't find a fuse or relay that controls the brake lights. I turned on the headlights and confirmed that the rear lights seemed to function just fine...just not the brake lights.

I'm not sure if the problem lies in a fuse/relay or a switch activated by the brake pedal. In addition, every once in a while, when I first turn on the car, the brake light on the dash lights up - sometimes for a few seconds and other times for about 30 seconds or until I begin to accelerate.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Damien
Old 07-19-2014 | 08:09 PM
Knight
Drifting

Congrats on your car, post up some pics.

I don't have an answer for your brake lights, seems very odd.

The brake light on the dash is normal, it has to to with the brake accumulator/pump. When you start the car, the red brake light stays on until the pump gets the system up to pressure, which can vary on how long the car has been sitting etc.
Old 07-19-2014 | 09:17 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

I had periodic brake light failure. I changed bulbs a couple of times. The second time I saw that old bulb was fine. I removed all bulbs and put dielectric grease in all the sockets. Haven't had a problem since.
Old 07-19-2014 | 11:00 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

See if it works when the headlights are off, might be a relay.
Old 07-20-2014 | 08:15 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If the brake lights are not functional and remain that way (i.e. not intermittent) then at least that is easier to diagnose than intermittent failure.

I would check the fuses, then the main pedal switch, and then onto the lights themselves.

The brake light switch is in the pedal cluster - which you can access by removing the front carpets. See this diagram:

If you follow the beginning of this article, you can get access to this area:

http://www.pcarworkshop.com/index.ph...inematic_Lever

I would test that this switch is being activated correctly with a continuity test (using most common volt meters), if the brake pedal is lightly pushed on, it should be enough for this switch to be activated. I have seen a few of these fail over the years.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-20-2014 | 03:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

brake light switch

Quick Reply: 1997 Turbo - Brake Lights Not Working