Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's about time I introduced myself.

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 01:22 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Very nice shots. Did you get any of the exhaust yet?
Old 08-02-2014, 01:46 PM
Boober
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unfortunately, I have had no time to finish the exhaust install. My dad's lift has been very busy with his own projects and the rare occasion that it was free has conflicted with my plans. The catt'd x-pipe is on but the supercups are still in the box waiting to go on. It's way too quiet for me (more quiet than stock in my opinion). I don't really want an obnoxious sound but I need more rumble. If I'm not happy with it after the supercups, I think I'll need to go for the bypass pipes but I'm sure I'll be happy with the sound.
Old 08-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Nice pics! Beautiful stance on the car too.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:48 PM
Boober
Racer

Thanks, I probably would not have set it that low if I had installed the coilovers but my alignment tech set the ride height based on his experience with 993's prepped for DE's. He supposedly took it as low as possible without inducing too much bump steer. I think I'll still be doing the RS front hubs down the road.
Old 08-02-2014, 07:09 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ya don't need the lift for the mufflers. Just get it up on the stands a little and it's very easy.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:29 PM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As another ARed/Cashmere TT custodian, I have to say your paint looks pristine. Did you do or have anything done special?

Love the wood. My wife's SL has a partial wooden steering wheel like yours and I've noticed how much more grippy the wood portion is than the leather.

Also, interesting tires. What brand and model? I'm looking for some replacements and am looking for a softer, quieter ride. Been contemplating Continental DW or DWS.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2014, 11:09 AM
Boober
Racer

Thanks boostid, I'd love to see some pictures if have some! The car has had some paint work done. A few months ago, a very careless young lady backed into the drivers side rear fender. It was a very minor collision but required a respray of the rear quarter and blend in with the door since Arena Red is metallic flake and easily shows spot repairs. The shop who did the work did a very thorough job and it's impossible to see evidence of the respray. Other shops just wanted to do a localized spray and it would have been very noticeable.

While the car was at the shop, I had the front bumper refinished. You can defnitely tell the difference since the orignal paint has faded some and I did not have it blended into the fenders and hood. I don't mind though as the fenders and hood are in great shape (very very few blemishes) and now the bumper looks brand new. Keep in mind that I'm a perfectionist and 90% of people wouldn't notice or care about the tiniest things that I do.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:46 PM
Boober
Racer

short little update to my thread here. I FINALLY got around to installing the Fabspeed Supercup mufflers. It went smooth once I learned that, indeed, the tip pipes are unequal length and that the Fabspeed X-pipe needed some tweaking for me to get the left and right side tips about even. It's not perfect but it's as close as I could get. I called and talked to Joe Neill at Fabspeed who was very helpful and willing to hear my concerns.

Now that I've driven the car, the sound is pretty much right where I wanted it. Not overly obnoxious but definitely loud. The resonance some folks complain about is there between about 2300-3000 rpm; with the loudest point around 2800 rpm. I can see where it would be annoying for those who want a more civilized tone but it honestly doesn't bother me. I have yet to spend much time of the freeway so my opinion may change quickly. The pops and burbles are just lovely

As this is NOT a garage queen, the underbody is not terribly clean but I do plan to get it looking a little better over the winter months.
Old 09-07-2014, 01:48 AM
Foxman
Rennlist Member

Received 554 Likes on 404 Posts

Good story, great car. She'll be missed here in Mass. Welcome
Old 09-07-2014, 11:06 AM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Underside looks great, and that exhaust setup looks sweet! Congrats on the purchase and enjoy!
Old 09-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Boober
Racer

Thanks guys.

I'm enjoying the hell out of the car right now but have work ahead. I took a couple of GoPro vids with the new exhaust. It's not too great as I'm just playing around getting to know it. I'll put it in YouTube then link it.

I have an appointment later this month for a clear bra, new stone guards and a few other cosmetic things. Then it's time to start planning winter projects. I'm thinking an extended stay on the lift will be in order to upgrade the turbos and replace some leaky lower valve cover gaskets.

Edit:
here is the video link.
. Fast forward to about the 2 minute mark for the clearest audio on the exhaust. The sound is still not good but it's the best I could do at the time.

Last edited by Boober; 09-07-2014 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-14-2014, 10:57 AM
Resident Sicko
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Richard! I know who you are now, old friend. SO happy to see you joined the 993 family.

Now...before you tear anything apart this winter, you shall come to the Carolinas and scrub off that heavy, excess rubber from your tires:

Old 10-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Boober
Racer

I just sent you a PM. Unfortunately, this is heavy work season for me but I might plan a road trip next year down to the Carolina's. I took my 997 to Tail of the Dragon for Sam Z's bachelor party trip a few years ago; I would love to take the 993 and swing by. Take care friend.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:39 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Boober what a nice car Dude!!! I find the exhaust very familiar!!! Its the same setup on my 991 with sport exhaust. Headers come out (though on the newer model there is more pipes before it hit
the collector. Then right into the cats, then over and Under the whole car and up and around to the muffler.
Boober get an instructor and take it to a track! It will be the BEST MOD you will ever see.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:49 AM
OldGuy
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 51 Likes on 11 Posts

Lexvan wrote:
Beaver, PA.....that's funny.
I have been through the Beaver Ut area on our way north to Idaho. I noticed the Hotspot in the
town was the Beaver Liquor store.

Quick Reply: It's about time I introduced myself.