Sponsored by:

Litronic Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by nrubenstein
Bah. Non-original parts that can be installed without altering the car (especially when they work better and save large sums of money) probably fall into the category of "let someone else worry about it." Your downside scenario is, what, a deduct for the cost of the part at a future sale? Given the way these cars are selling, I suspect it wouldn't move the dial at all.
Respectfully disagree. I'm sure some of these oem ignitors will last as long as the car will. If one goes bad though, pop for the $600 for the correct repair so that the future owner(s) don't come to find out that when they have a problem with their headlights that someone jury rigged the repair.

If your going to reduce the price on future sale, why not just fix it properly in the first place, otherwise it makes no sense.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:26 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nah....your both right!

stick my nose in and say:

1. over 75k miles and other mods done?? go ahead and play with the "rigging"...be really cool to bi-xenon it actually. Not to mention to have the b*a*l*l*s to cut open a $2k headlight assembly.

or

2. if it's well sorted and lower mile it would actually pay to fix it right... to factory specs that is.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:48 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

And I'll say the likelihood of a low mile, big $ car probably won't have this problem.

But yes in retrospect, if your car is worth $120K plus, then $1200 to repair your litronics to factory spec does make sense.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:56 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradford
I would be very interested to see what Mike does for this fix. The ignitor is a sealed unit and to the best of my knowledge cannot be repaired.

Seeing that everyone is so concerned with keeping their cars original, I would not consider using any parts other than original for this repair.
I believe I got a new Ballast box and it included an igniter. He did not do anything with the original ignitor(OP's attached pic)
Old 03-06-2014, 09:27 PM
turboluvr
Intermediate

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the input and suggestions. I'm not trying to start a concourse verse modified argument. Personally, I'm a resto-mod guy and I'm not worried about 993TT values as I'll NEVER sell this car. I just want to do a quality improvement if the original parts are unavailable for a reasonable price, and yes I know that's very subjective. BTW my OEM Litronics started dying at 30K miles in '04 and are both going now at 70K miles
This car already has 996TT wheels,
997 GT3 seats
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...n-a-993-a.html

Andal inspired homemade turbo oil lines, no rear wiper (Carrera window due to exploding rear window syndrome), reversed front wipers...and the list goes on. I think I can wire a modern HID kit without hacking anything up too much and I figure someone here has done it and has some pointers.
James
Attached Images   

Last edited by turboluvr; 03-06-2014 at 10:09 PM.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:43 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bradford
Respectfully disagree. I'm sure some of these oem ignitors will last as long as the car will. If one goes bad though, pop for the $600 for the correct repair so that the future owner(s) don't come to find out that when they have a problem with their headlights that someone jury rigged the repair.

If your going to reduce the price on future sale, why not just fix it properly in the first place, otherwise it makes no sense.
Because the OEM Litronic kit is garbage, maybe? It's one of the worst HID lamps I've ever experienced (and with fresh, modern Phillips 85122 bulbs installed). The offsetting excuse is that it's the oldest HID headlamp that I've used, but it doesn't change that. Granted, the ballast and igniter system is fine, just primitive. The real flaw is that the projector is crap.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:41 PM
Knight
Drifting

Bumping this thread to see if anyone has installed/replaced with an aftermarket HID kit or maybe just ballasts/ignitors? This would be for cars that came with factory litronics.

My passenger HID started acting up this week, basically not working for like 2 days, now all of a sudden returns back to normal function.

Therefore would like to see options outside of the costly OEM replacement.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:01 PM
turboluvr
Intermediate

Knight,
I'm in the process of retro-fitting modern ballasts, Morimoto 3Fives (35w) w/D2S connections ($110). It looks like a straight forward wiring project and I'll post pictures of how I did it. Going to do it with the least amount of cutting to the original wiring harness so I still need to source a few odds and ends to make it look pretty.
Old 03-21-2014, 01:56 PM
Knight
Drifting

Originally Posted by turboluvr
Knight,
I'm in the process of retro-fitting modern ballasts, Morimoto 3Fives (35w) w/D2S connections ($110). It looks like a straight forward wiring project and I'll post pictures of how I did it. Going to do it with the least amount of cutting to the original wiring harness so I still need to source a few odds and ends to make it look pretty.
Excellent, looking forward to the results!

I really need to get this resolved asap, as my HIDs are acting up again. Obviously driving at night now is limited.

Last edited by Knight; 03-21-2014 at 07:42 PM.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:49 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

What are used headlight assemblies going for these days? Perhaps go back to the "regular" headlights and put in the cheap HID's..
Old 03-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Jesfgse
directly from the fatherland.
??
Old 03-24-2014, 01:11 PM
turboluvr
Intermediate

Mike,
That is an option, but still a very pricy one, that gives you a headlight without a HID projector. You could add a projector but by then there is no cost savings and requires some extensive modification of the headlight housing.

The Litronic repair kit is a special order, non-returnable, part directly from Germany (ie the fatherland in Germanic languages).

James
Old 03-24-2014, 01:21 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by turboluvr
Mike,
That is an option, but still a very pricy one, that gives you a headlight without a HID projector. You could add a projector but by then there is no cost savings and requires some extensive modification of the headlight housing.
There are several kits available that put in HID lights into a stock Halogen based headlights, and they are very cheap. What I mean is find a used set of halogen headlights (the whole unit) (say $500/set), add the HID kit ($150) and now for $650 you have both sides done, and cheap replacements on the bulbs/igniters/ballasts.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 03-24-2014, 01:55 PM
Knight
Drifting

This weekend I'm planning to install aftermarket ballasts and use my existing bulbs, no change in headlight housing. This seems to be the most simple approach and you'll have a new setup on both sides.

I'm planning to compare old vs new too (install one side), I'm thinking the original ballasts are probably tired and not optimal too, dating back to 1995. The price on aftermarket kits just makes much more sense.

I figure you fix one side now OEM replacement, probably other side will eventually go too!
Old 03-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya know I forgot to mention.....I replaced my fog lights with the common mod of techart or ruf style projector fish eye style that's popular (retaining my old set-up of course) since our stock fog lights are the biggest joke in Porsche oem lighting.

I replaced them with 50 watt 5000k temperature HIDs. I should take a pic...it looks better than I could have hoped. I don't even need to put my headlights on b/c they are as bright as the headlights themselves. So with just marker lights and the fogs on it really looks well beyond my expectations. And at 5000k its just a hint of tasteful blue. And needless to say together with the headlights on I have a great field of view done properly not affecting other drivers..all focused on properly on the periphery and road. I'm terrified of hitting a deer here in PA...they're everywhere. I just missed one weeks ago by inches!!!...big reds saved me....still don't know how.

Quick Reply: Litronic Problems