Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very nice, former RL'er 97 Turbo F/S

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 10:59 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

All the air cooled turbos are going crazy right now. Try buying a decent 930, prices start at 50K, same cars last yr were in the high 30s. 3.6Ts have already done it and I suspect 993tts are doing it now, soon the entrance price for an average 993tt will be well over 80k+. Sellers market right now.
Pricing enthusiasts out? Probably.
Old 02-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by TTKan
What is silly is the notion that being a car enthusiast somehow precludes one from rationally taking into account the underlying economics.
Interesting. If we were being rational, we would not be having a discussion about purchasing a CAR for $70k+ and not using it, given that in rational thought, the purpose of an automobile is transportation.

What about the economics? You get to use a 993TT for free and even make money! If you use it, you have slightly less profit. Given what happens to cars on a depreciation scale, this is about as good as it gets.

If you aren't happy driving a good car AND MAKING MONEY on it, I tend to think you like money more than the car.

So I say again, if you really like the car, why not just sell your pristine example, realize the profits, and buy a far cheaper driver and use that without worry.

Originally Posted by C4S993
Not Kidding ! I got cars but my 993TT is more than a car to me. I don't feel the same regarding my non-winter DD 997.1 GT3, or my hi miles snowmobile 993C4S.

BTW, where are you seeing in good shape, hi miles 993TT for sale at $60k ?
Look, if you have some spiritual relationship with your 993TT, thats fine, but I hope that would be the case if it was worth $10k or $200k. Money shouldn't really impact that situation.

Although i don't follow the market closely, last i've seen, 75k-100k mile cars are trading in the $48k to $65k price range depending on condition, color combo, mods, etc.

I'd be shocked if I could get $60k for my car.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:00 PM
TTKan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to your logic, if I buy a car for $75k and realize appreciation that makes it worth $125k, an accident that drops the value to $75k really did not cost me anything because that is what I paid for it originally. I see it differently . . . I am out $50k. You live with your logic and I will live with mine.

G-d help the stock broker that tries to use your logic in telling his client that when he lost a million bucks in the market that he really did not lose any money because the value of his portfolio did not fall below his initial investment!
Old 02-19-2014, 12:45 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by TTKan
According to your logic, if I buy a car for $75k and realize appreciation that makes it worth $125k, an accident that drops the value to $75k really did not cost me anything because that is what I paid for it originally. I see it differently . . . I am out $50k. You live with your logic and I will live with mine.

G-d help the stock broker that tries to use your logic in telling his client that when he lost a million bucks in the market that he really did not lose any money because the value of his portfolio did not fall below his initial investment!
You don't realize appreciation until you sell the car, security, etc.

I look at securities lawsuits all day. If you invest $500k, your account experiences unrealized gains of $500k (making the account worth $1mm), and then experiences losses of $500k (returning your account to $500k), you have not lost any money. You simply did not benefit from unrealized gains.

Luckily, you can buy insurance to value your TT at whatever the hell you want, so if you get into an accident, you take advantage of that appreciation. Might want to build a trail into that agreed value policy though so it can track the market.

If you are worried about an accident, then either pay up for the insurance or maybe just don't drive it at all.
Old 02-19-2014, 02:22 PM
kilodawg
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
you miss my point. If you aren't selling it, why are you even thinking about the value. Continue to think of it as a $75k car and any bonus you get when you sell is just icing on the cake. I never go into the garage and say, "man, i really wanna drive the 993, but it increased $1,000 in value in the last month, so I'll just take the benz instead".

If the value bothers you so much, why not pick up a high mile car in good shape for $60k and drive that one!

Based on this post, you prefer other vehicles to the 993TT, which is totally fine. You simply didn't buy what you really wanted due to money issues, which the 993TT has alleviated for you.

so, sell the car to someone who actually wants that car and didn't just settle and everyone will be happier.

And yes, i have an attitude...an attitude by which I find it very silly that there is so much discussions about value on a forum supposedly filled with car enthusiasts. Car enthusiasts enjoy driving, not doing NPV.
No I got what I wanted at the price I paid. I did not settle. But thanks for helping me try to figure myself out anyway. In case you haven't noticed most of the discussion lately has been coming from you. Keep it up though, you always add an interesting perspective....
Old 02-25-2014, 01:02 AM
DoninDen
Three Wheelin'

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

Deleted post because didn't realize seller was trying to sell on Rennlist. Do not want to violate forum rules.

Last edited by DoninDen; 02-25-2014 at 01:28 AM. Reason: Post would not be beneficial to those buying or selling
Old 02-27-2014, 01:32 AM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

TTKan,

Did you drive your TT the 130 miles from Manhattan to KC last week or trailer it?
Old 03-09-2014, 12:35 PM
malan1
Advanced

No getting around it. The market is HOT for all air cooled Porsche's. White hot for 993s. Just look at the sale prices over last 2 years. 993TT cars are $75k+ at the bottom now!
I'm pretty sure that car will sell close to asking.
Old 03-09-2014, 01:14 PM
TTKan
Pro

Originally Posted by Mark Harris
TTKan,

Did you drive your TT the 130 miles from Manhattan to KC last week or trailer it?
Enclosed trailer all the way . . . the roads have tons of sand and crap on them!

Quick Reply: Very nice, former RL'er 97 Turbo F/S