Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help... Rufus must bu muffled

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:44 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks Scott. That "might" be a cool way to go, but there is no way to know how quiet the system would be even in full "quiet" mode. It is, after all, a 15" straight through muffler, probably like the old glass packs. Scott Shepley points out that the muffler he installed didn't quiet his car very much. Things are different in geezerdom.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:01 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I "Googled" baffle inserts for autos and found a handful of options that might work. It will be a pain to put in and then take out all of the time, but might be a much cheaper solution than a full replacement of your existing plumbing. I'd rather go the route of manually quieting it with a baffle insert than ruin your beautiful exhaust.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:39 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 201 Posts

+ 993 ^^^^

I foresee a short term easy on and off fix…..

Way too much thinking going on here - I need to check out...
Old 01-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

You should ROAR through the neighbourhood a few times, get the complaints, say you are going to fix it, then idle through and say its fixed and you did your duty...

I like the idea of valves so you can open up the exhaust when you want to. I have been thinking about that for my turbo for a while, but have not had much time to work towards it. I have a similar issue, I come into my neighbourhood at night and the garage is just below our bedroom window, so with a loud exhaust I will wake up people including my wife - so trying to be a good neighbour, the solution would be to have an adjustable exhaust...

Cheers,

Mike
Old 01-09-2014, 09:20 PM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

I think Mike's onto a solution. But before you do the passes, unbolt at the turbos then WOT for a bit. Leave the complex and go bolt it back together. Apologize to everyone and tell them you have fixed it permanently :-)
Old 01-10-2014, 06:51 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In 1963 there was a product for motorcycles called "Snuff-or- Nots". At the time I had a Triumph Bonnie with unbaffeled megaphones that were totally unacceptable in town. The snuf or not was a washer just a bit smaller that the exhaust pipe. It had a hole drilled in it about 3/8" as I recall. It also had a pin welded on its edge that went through a hole you drilled in the exhaust pipe. The pin had a spring placed over it and a knurled handle attached to the end of the pin. You could reach down and turn the handle 90 degrees such that all the exhaust had to pass through the hole in the washer. It caused the bike to make a pfft, pfft sound. Turn it back 90 degrees and the washer was on edge and the megaphone was back to full throat. This took all of 10 seconds. In the case of the Triumph I installed them on the exhaust pipe just before the megaphone. Electronic exhausts are common on the higher performance speedboats. I have a 28' Chris Craft Corsair with twin Volvo 350's. It has Silent Choice exhaust. It goes from quite quiet to very loud with the press of a button. My boat is a 2004 and I've never had a problem, but I almost never use the loud setting. Good luck Steve ....I am having a hard time wrapping my mind around a RUF living in a trailer park though...Chris
Old 01-10-2014, 10:54 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

I hate to hear that Rufus will be neutered. FVD Brombacher makes a muffler for the 993TT that has remote controlled valves similar to the sport version of the 997 and newer cars. You can open and close them at the touch of a button although they are not for the faint of wallet...best of luck in your new digs.

FVD 993TT Valved Mufflers
Old 01-11-2014, 01:08 AM
GRINBOB
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Move, too many old farts in one place.
Old 01-13-2014, 07:30 PM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 420 Likes on 201 Posts

So whats the verdict?

Been to see Master Darin?
Old 01-13-2014, 10:27 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm not moving in until summer time (I have to have a new, custom, manufactured home built... need the soils report, design, Park approval, then city permit before we even start the foundation), and I'll be darned if I'm going to muffle Rufus before I need to. I will continue to think about baffles, but also thinking about putting a stock muffler in place. Then perhaps add a bypass between muffler in and out and put in a valve to control it. Lots of time to decide.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:52 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Hey, maybe even an under hood system on each side like a manual choke pull that opens and closes the valve on each side. Wouldn't be to hard to get the cables thru the tin to the mufflers. Let's see if I can find a set up that we can fab up, then I'll take it to "Shark Tank" and make millions :-)

Quick Reply: Help... Rufus must bu muffled