Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help I need a clutch....options?....spin it into something positive maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 02:46 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by shhhzaammm
@ at Mike J u r making me consider doing it myself but i believe u assume we are as sharp as you.
I would prefer using the term "battle-hardened" rather than sharp -
Old 12-14-2013, 09:49 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

update:

Dealer GM called me back (I own a restaurant and do catering events for them) he quoted 5k down from 6.5k. that was nice i suppose.

on the fence at the moment.

oh and C4S993 asked mileage it's 50k.....kinda low for a clutch huh?

Joe
Old 12-14-2013, 08:52 PM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a very nice setup for around 3k from Protomotive. 870 WTQ holding power.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Joe has to do few things first:

- target power - stock, upgraded or really upgraded - this will vary the pressure plate and clutch disk you choose
- flywheel - DMF or RS - DMF spins up a bit slower, but has some cushioning, less backlash noise, and no gear chatter in neutral. RS spins up faster, is a simpler setup, but can cause audible rattling at idle

If he remains stock, he does not need really high clamping power clutches, the stock clutch, or RS equivalent upgrade for the Turbo would be sufficient.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 12-15-2013, 09:48 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

I just have a Proto ECU tune and an exhaust. So a stock clutch is probably fine. I don't think I'm going anywhere from there. Maybe a Ruf upgrade when i need a top end. So I'll stay at about the 430-500hp range.

It sounds like a proportionality ....the racier the clutch/LFW the noiser it is? Recommendations for my HP range?

Thanks

Joe
Old 12-15-2013, 10:30 AM
carmstrongls1
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Pm sent"
Old 12-18-2013, 09:32 AM
C4S993
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you call Sun Hill Porsche (Pa) ? They attracted a tech (Chris) from peer Autohaus (Pa) who was trained by Porsche/Atlanta. He installed a warranty box in my 997.1GT3; I'm sure he could handle a 993TT.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:37 PM
billswim
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from the school of removing the engine and transmission as a unit. Yes, it CAN be done with the engine in the car but you miss the opportunity to examine things on the engine that you wouldn't have easy access to any other time. Sure the "might as wells" push the total price higher but its a "once and done" kind of deal. Spark plug service, VCG, any hoses, PS belt, oil pressure sending unit, hell even plug wires are significantly easier with the engine out.

That being said, I'm a big fan of the factory LWF and clutch set up. Essentially stock porsche parts so you get the great quality, reliability and compatibility along with a crisper engine response.

If you are really concerned about a couple of thousand difference between a good, thorough job you won't be able to stomach the cash outlay for the extensive mods to get the car over 460HP so the stock PP will be just fine.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:33 AM
scosurf
Racer

Received 140 Likes on 57 Posts

Call pat Duggan at inskip porsche 401 8211510. Best air cooled mech around he may be able to help you on local leval. Or take a ride. Thx bob
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by billswim
I'm from the school of removing the engine and transmission as a unit. Yes, it CAN be done with the engine in the car but you miss the opportunity to examine things on the engine that you wouldn't have easy access to any other time. Sure the "might as wells" push the total price higher but its a "once and done" kind of deal. Spark plug service, VCG, any hoses, PS belt, oil pressure sending unit, hell even plug wires are significantly easier with the engine out.

That being said, I'm a big fan of the factory LWF and clutch set up. Essentially stock porsche parts so you get the great quality, reliability and compatibility along with a crisper engine response.

If you are really concerned about a couple of thousand difference between a good, thorough job you won't be able to stomach the cash outlay for the extensive mods to get the car over 460HP so the stock PP will be just fine.

Thanks! Couldn't have taken the words out of my mouth any better. Was doing precisely all that you mentioned.

I must say I am a bit worried about the potential chatter from the LWF. Parts are OEM Porsche RS but still a bit worried that I'll sound like a garbage truck
Old 12-19-2013, 09:15 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,403 Likes on 2,513 Posts

I must say I am a bit worried about the potential chatter from the LWF. Parts are OEM Porsche RS but still a bit worried that I'll sound like a garbage truck
FabSpeed bypass pipes. Problem solved.

Make sure you do the Goldenrod and short shifter kit at the same time
Old 12-19-2013, 10:07 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by billswim
Spark plug service, VCG, any hoses, PS belt, oil pressure sending unit, hell even plug wires are significantly easier with the engine out.
VCG?
Old 12-19-2013, 10:15 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
FabSpeed bypass pipes. Problem solved.

Make sure you do the Goldenrod and short shifter kit at the same time

Ha....already got by-passes

And I don't want to lose my carbon fiber shift ****; if i go short i'd lose it right? So i guess i can't do that.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:20 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,403 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Ha....already got by-passes

And I don't want to lose my carbon fiber shift ****; if i go short i'd lose it right? So i guess i can't do that.
No you silly goose. Your **** will be fine. U will not hear the LWFW very much over the bypass. Party on.
Old 12-19-2013, 10:37 AM
Ridin Dirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by LexVan
No you silly goose. Your **** will be fine. U will not hear the LWFW very much over the bypass. Party on.
no way! thanks!

alright I'll ask Kevin (UMW) to throw it in there, long as i keep my pretty carbon k n o b

wonder why they sensor out the word k n o b here?

Quick Reply: Help I need a clutch....options?....spin it into something positive maybe?