Sponsored by:

RUF Turbo R... A Proper Introduction

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 09:12 PM
993 770
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RUF Turbo R... A Proper Introduction

As posted in Mickfluffs post https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...lly-clear.html I am the proud new owner of a beautiful, incredibly fun and very special automobile.

Being my 4th 911 and immediately my favorite, its easy to see why these RUF Turbo R's have become a special part of Porsche, RUF, and automotive history. I know it may sound cliche by now, but I plan on keeping her a LONG time in my slowly expanding collection of cars.

I made a decision prior to purchasing the car that if I was able to negotiate a fair deal (taking body work into consideration) I would pull the trigger and finish what Steve had started. Not wasting any time, I picked her up on Saturday, showed my wife my new mistress and spent an hour or three in the garage with my two kids. My 18 month old daughter wouldn't get out of the driver seat and my son woke up Sunday morning wanting to go straight to the garage!

For 2 nights over the weekend, my GT3 and my RUF shared the garage (photos below) This morning I took her to get a smog check (passed with flying colors), then to DMV to finalize the registration,. I wrapped up the registration in record time at the West Hollywood DMV and figured I'd head straight to the body shop. I dropped the car off at Ed Palmer's shop Kundensport (Thank You Steve/ca993twin) this morning and work is expected to start by the end of the week! I knew from a few phone conversations and our visual inspection today that Ed was my guy. We quickly came up with a game plan and work out a deal. We are removing the Gemballa side skirts and washer nipples, then fixing up some other minor body issues before going in for a full respray towards the end of the year. Steve (Mickfluff) did an amazing job of returning her to perfect mechanical condition and spared no expense doing so. I somehow find myself responsible to finish what he started so I'll update this thread with pictures of the respray process as it moves along.

A special thanks to everyone on this forum! I find everyone always eager to help and RL contains a wealth of information only a few keystrokes away at any time, due to the participation of some extraordinary people. I know I don't contribute much to the technical side of RL but I hope to be able to contribute in other ways.

Normally I'd post 10 pics along with the intro, but Mickfluff (Steve) has taken so many incredible pictures that are in his thread linked above. I have attached some crappy iPhone pics of the garage and one of my baby girl trying to drive off!

More from me later!
Attached Images   
Old 11-18-2013, 09:21 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the RUF madness! Can't wait to see the progress.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

Congrats on your fine purchase. Are you going to keep the color or change it?
Old 11-18-2013, 09:58 PM
993 770
Pro

Originally Posted by LexVan
Congrats on your fine purchase. Are you going to keep the color or change it?
I contemplated changing it, and probably would have had the interior been black. Over the last little while the white has grown on me and even though not much of the paint was still original , I wanted her to be as close to original as possible. Can't wait to get it back PERFECT!
Old 11-18-2013, 10:54 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

DB,
That white paint positively ROCKS! I had Ed remove Rufus' washer nozzles during one of the many updates that we went through (adding Ruf parts one at a time... not the smartest game plan!) Best of luck with one of the world's finest cars! And it looks great next to your GT3 (if I didn't have Rufus, I'd have me a GT3!).
Old 11-18-2013, 10:56 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great car, I have this queued up to add to the RUF Registry. She's a special car for sure, enjoy it!
Old 11-19-2013, 12:03 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice and even nicer with the "fixes." The Gemballas are a PITA to redo.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:16 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

Congrats on the new addition! Beginning of a love affair that will last for years...
Kevin
Old 11-19-2013, 03:32 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It looks somebody approves Glad to see it made it back safe and sound.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:02 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Great car - but out of curiosity, why respray the entire car? In the pictures the paint looks great, what did I miss?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-19-2013, 11:29 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Awesome. Eddie is a great guy. I'll make sure to walk over from my house and check on it for you.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:34 PM
993 770
Pro

Originally Posted by Mike J
Great car - but out of curiosity, why respray the entire car? In the pictures the paint looks great, what did I miss?

Cheers,

Mike
Mike, to put it simply. there wasn't much of the original paint anyway. After removing the Gemballa skirts, repainting the wing, removing the headlight washers and some light rust on the drivers side corner of the windsheild I figured stripping the areas that have had work (prior accident/turbo s scoops/shaved gutters) and making sure there wouldn't be any surprises down the line. It just made sense to do it right the first time and document the process. The car looked great from a few feet away, but up close it needed some work. With all of the work steve did to the mechanicals, the repaint is going to finish off.

Wish me luck!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:14 PM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993 770
Mike, to put it simply. there wasn't much of the original paint anyway. After removing the Gemballa skirts, repainting the wing, removing the headlight washers and some light rust on the drivers side corner of the windsheild I figured stripping the areas that have had work (prior accident/turbo s scoops/shaved gutters) and making sure there wouldn't be any surprises down the line. It just made sense to do it right the first time and document the process. The car looked great from a few feet away, but up close it needed some work. With all of the work steve did to the mechanicals, the repaint is going to finish off.

Wish me luck!
Hats off to you DB, you're doing it right. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Greg
Old 11-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 558 Likes on 246 Posts

Congrats & welcome back.... That car is going to look 100% better once you get those skirts off!

Enjoy the process & please keep this thread updated with progress.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:26 AM
tanger
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 13 Posts

can't wait to see/hear it on the streets of LA. hopefully will make an appearance at SCS?

Quick Reply: RUF Turbo R... A Proper Introduction