Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning: Rear frame rail rust due to bizarre engineering failure...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 04:50 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Awsome thread with super pics. I'm not sure we need to worry about it Glenn. Our cars barely see rain and never salt. Also, that area of the body is so hot, I can't see how any water would last long enough to rust unless there's a bunch of dirt in there.
The crevices were full of dirt, for what it's worth.

On a garage queen, I probably wouldn't be so motivated that I'd take the rear end apart just to look at this. On the other hand, it'd be silly not to take a look if you have the mufflers out, IMHO. For that matter, if you peel back the fender liner, you can at least clean out the top and put some grease or cavity wax in there. That would likely arrest or at least dramatically slow down any rust as long as it's a mild case. That seems like a worthwhile use of a few minutes every few years.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:38 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Now thess are excellent ideas. I think a good hose spray back there every wash could largely solve the problem. I always go for a drive after to dry the car out and a hot engine should dry this area. If I can be sure it's clean a little grease would basically "melt" and protect the area.
Old 11-11-2013, 05:49 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Even if not perfectly clean, a resilient penetrating oil like CorrosionX would probably do a lot of good.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:04 PM
x98boardwell
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Beautiful job on the welding and fitment!!!!
Old 11-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Now thess are excellent ideas. I think a good hose spray back there every wash could largely solve the problem.
Since water and dirt are trapped between that stamping and the body, spraying more water into the assembly will only make things worse.
Either the assembly must be totally sealed or modified to allow water and dirt to pass through, or a combination of both.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:50 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

This seems to be pretty common but variable, some cars seem to be hit bad, some have no issues - here is a good DIY on what to do when the metal is still intact...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-rust-diy.html

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-12-2013, 11:56 AM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Since water and dirt are trapped between that stamping and the body, spraying more water into the assembly will only make things worse.
Either the assembly must be totally sealed or modified to allow water and dirt to pass through, or a combination of both.
Ugh, yeah. Blow it out with an air hose. Maybe wipe it down, and then apply a protective wax, grease, or penetrating oil if you don't want to/can't take it apart.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there a way to see/access this area from the wheel well side? I assume the dirt/water is getting in from the wheel side? Would be a hassle to have to take the bumper off every time we want to blow some air up there. I'll take a look later today.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:07 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
Is there a way to see/access this area from the wheel well side? I assume the dirt/water is getting in from the wheel side? Would be a hassle to have to take the bumper off every time we want to blow some air up there. I'll take a look later today.
You can peel back the fender lining and see the top. You can't really see a lot, unless things are REALLY bad. You can blow it out and put something in, but you can't actually see without pulling huge muffler and heat shield.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:11 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nrubenstein
You can peel back the fender lining and see the top. You can't really see a lot, unless things are REALLY bad. You can blow it out and put something in, but you can't actually see without pulling huge muffler and heat shield.
good to know, maybe I'll shoot some penetrating oil or something up there, can't hurt..
Old 11-12-2013, 12:25 PM
nrubenstein
Instructor

Originally Posted by Basal Skull
good to know, maybe I'll shoot some penetrating oil or something up there, can't hurt..
I really like CorrosionX for this sort of use. I'd probably shoot a little bit in the crevices every year or two.
Old 11-12-2013, 11:02 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
This seems to be pretty common but variable, some cars seem to be hit bad, some have no issues - here is a good DIY on what to do when the metal is still intact...

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...-rust-diy.html

Cheers,

Mike
Mike have you seen many local 993s with this issue? Really curious now if mine has any rust in there.
Old 11-13-2013, 02:59 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Have not dug into the that area yet - I also have not checked mine yet other than a superficial inspection when I first got it, was going to remove the panels this winter (when its snowing and really crappy out...).

We can inspect yours when we dig into some maintenance - if you dare.. :-)

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Warning: Rear frame rail rust due to bizarre engineering failure...