FELKER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and the parts to go back in..

Old 07-14-2013, 02:07 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I thought this thread was about an oil pump. If it were me and someone did me wrong I would take it up on my own and not air it out on this forum. I am sorry if anyone did you wrong and karma will bring it back around to him/them. Please don't waste anymore space or type in theses blogs with this c$&p. Load up, hunt them down and be done with it! Cheers
Old 07-14-2013, 02:08 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

Remember, ... "Thrilling speed is killing speed" unless you know what you're doing
Old 07-14-2013, 02:11 AM
OverBoosted28
Rennlist Member

BTW...... Nice **** with the crank,rods and pistons Felker.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:32 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice!

Did you get a bit of fretting on the mains (looking at the discolouration - its hard to see)?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-19-2013, 12:19 AM
FELKER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes there was fretting or wear...

There will be many more pictures.. they are documented the "unbuild" and rebuild with 100's of pictures..

Once the project is compete and they Give me the SD card.. I will post..

I went "interviewing" shops in the Chicago area..
Looked to see what was in the bays and storage lots.. Pick the one with only Porsche's
Also asked "how many 993tt engines have you rebuilt? One answer was "a few", did not use them. The one I chose had the answer.. "many, let me show you the one I am doing right now!" He was half complete of a full rebuild/ upgrade to race strength 993tt..
Old 07-19-2013, 10:25 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Originally Posted by FELKER
I went "interviewing" shops in the Chicago area..
Looked to see what was in the bays and storage lots.. Pick the one with only Porsche's
Also asked "how many 993tt engines have you rebuilt? One answer was "a few", did not use them. The one I chose had the answer.. "many, let me show you the one I am doing right now!" He was half complete of a full rebuild/ upgrade to race strength 993tt..
Sounds like Perfect Power (Sol S.). U picked well.

Why the re-build? Were you having issues, or just making improvements, or making it more race ready? Thanks.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Anyone wanna shed some light into the inner workings of a 993 oil pump?
Just looking at the lub oil diagram in my workshop manuals, it is not clear.

The pump sucks oil from the pan, it is also connected to the sump, from where oil is led into the pump by gravitation? On the pressure side you have the main galley, which leads oil into the numerous passages for lubrication and cooling. But how is the thermostat connected to this? Surely there is not 5bar pressure in the line that goes to the thermostat (and to the cooler(s) from there, if necessary)??
Old 07-21-2013, 06:11 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xpensivewino
All 911 engines run off the same design as the original 901 engine. A mechanically driven pump that runs off of the lay shaft which in turn runs off the crank. The pump design has remained relatively the same with the pump getting larger as capacities increased and of course racing applications. The 3.3L turbo oil pump was a huge upgrade after it's introduction, and the 964 derived pump that is run in the 993 series cars is a monster. You can imagine the volume of oil that pump moves at 6000 revs!! The joy of dry sump lubrication.
A couple of years ago I met up with a fellow rennlister and we had lunch with the owner of a racing shop that used to run 993 GT2s back in the day. He recounted a story where at the end of a long straight their car was down on power but by the time they got back to the pits everything was fine again. This went on with predictable regularity until one time they shut the car down at the end of the straight and towed it back. They found the crank case full of oil. An even larger oil pump solved the issue. I don't recall what the source was for the pump; perhaps the 962 or the like. The best part was that they didn't share their fix with the factory and it took them some time to come to the same resolution. He took considerable delight in that last aspect!
Old 07-21-2013, 04:10 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
A couple of years ago I met up with a fellow rennlister and we had lunch with the owner of a racing shop that used to run 993 GT2s back in the day. He recounted a story where at the end of a long straight their car was down on power but by the time they got back to the pits everything was fine again. This went on with predictable regularity until one time they shut the car down at the end of the straight and towed it back. They found the crank case full of oil. An even larger oil pump solved the issue. I don't recall what the source was for the pump; perhaps the 962 or the like. The best part was that they didn't share their fix with the factory and it took them some time to come to the same resolution. He took considerable delight in that last aspect!
Isn't it like a closed circular circuit? Wouldn't the oil level be the same in various reservoirs regardless of pump/engine speed? At faster revs maybe the oil is not pooling/draining off the components fast enough and more oil is in the circulation vs the oil tank/crank case? But the observation above seems opposite? If there's too much oil in the crank case is that because the oil pump is too slow or too fast?Oil pressures always seem good at high rpm so the pump must be seeing enough oil. I suppose there maybe huge variances on and off throttle on the amount of oil in the crank case and a bigger pump can scavenge more oil at higher rpm. Seem to recall two pumps and maybe an imbalance at certain rpm. Need to go look at my oil circulation diagram.

Quick Reply: The "heart" of the 993TT engine..