Sponsored by:

CEL Code 121 Load Detection - solved

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 04:27 AM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default CEL Code 121 Load Detection - solved

I thought I'd post this as it may help someone in the future. While cruising at 80 very light throttle for over an hour I had a sudden engine stumble, then another a short while later and a brief CEL. I pulled over and the car had a high idle and slow throttle response after lift off (wouldn't go back to idle very quickly).

I hooked up the durametric that I keep in the car with me (well you just never know) I had a code 121 - Load detection and it seemed that the ECU wasn't picking up that the throttle was closed. Idle was OPEN. After some fiddling with the plug for the throttle position switch normality returned.

Been fine since. We'll see.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:44 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Good to know, thanks! Sounds like you need to clean the contacts and check the conditions of the wires --- but hard to tell what it was given it's gone away.
Old 06-17-2013, 02:47 PM
DiegoR
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

When you scan it with the durametric (basic kit?) does it show up the number and as well the desciption of what means "Load detection" or just it show only 121 Load Detection?

Where can I check a list of number codes for faults?

Thanks,
Old 06-17-2013, 04:06 PM
ACEparts_com
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This particular error is a bit of a checksum - it basically means something doesn't add up.. Could be a single sensor not reading what's expected but the ECU is unable to pinpoint it exactly. In my case a did a scan of the TPS and that revealed it wasn't sending an idle signal when it was closed.
The following users liked this post:
Gdjsk (01-18-2024)
Old 01-17-2024, 02:28 PM
Gdjsk
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ACEparts_com
This particular error is a bit of a checksum - it basically means something doesn't add up.. Could be a single sensor not reading what's expected but the ECU is unable to pinpoint it exactly. In my case a did a scan of the TPS and that revealed it wasn't sending an idle signal when it was closed.
hello ,
I am facing same fault code as yours, I have check engine light on only some time but no abnormalities in engine, fault code is same 121.. can you please explain how you decide TPS was faulty ?
we have a scan tool

Quick Reply: CEL Code 121 Load Detection - solved