Sponsored by:

993 BTR (BTR-2) at Sloan

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 04:55 AM
Nautilus
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Not all BTRs are RWD, there are Carrera 4 BTRs too. There is a car somewhat similar to this one that's for sale in Spain since middle of last year. I've posted it to the RUF Registry I maintain. You can see it here:

RUF Registry | 1995 Porsche Carrera 4 BTR Conversion
Sorry for the slight OT note but since I have seen this car in the flesh I can’t help to comment on it: very nice car in great condition, with EKS (I would prefer manual), IRC, RUF bucket seats and lightweight doors BUT (big but) they are asking a ridiculous amount of money for it (€125k).
Old 01-23-2013, 05:08 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Ruf in Germay has a C4 BTR for sale - see this link.
Old 01-23-2013, 05:35 AM
Nautilus
Instructor

Originally Posted by Felix
Ruf in Germay has a C4 BTR for sale - see this link.
Yeah Felix, I’ve seen that one. Not that I am considering a purchase right now unless the perfect car comes up (say BTR2 with IRC – a must for me – and some lightweight bits) but the price of the car advertised at RUF Germany makes you wonder what the hell the guys in Madrid who have the BTR-4 I’ve seen on sale have in their minds…also taking into account the economic environment in Spain nowadays
Old 01-23-2013, 10:36 AM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for rectifying things, Felix. Knew I could count on you and that filing cabinet brain of yours.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
Thanks for rectifying things, Felix. Knew I could count on you and that filing cabinet brain of yours.
Are you saying I need to get out more?!
Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM
97_993C2
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nautilus
Yeah Felix, I’ve seen that one. Not that I am considering a purchase right now unless the perfect car comes up (say BTR2 with IRC – a must for me – and some lightweight bits) but the price of the car advertised at RUF Germany makes you wonder what the hell the guys in Madrid who have the BTR-4 I’ve seen on sale have in their minds…also taking into account the economic environment in Spain nowadays
The Ruf in Spain does have an EKS gearbox ?, carbon fiber roof, hood, and doors - and shaved rain gutters. It must be the shaved rain gutters.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:56 AM
993RUF
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Texas993
Not altogether true. RUF Dallas (and likely the new RUF US) do their own work without a German RUF tech's involvement. There may have been some training required here/there at some point. But, honestly, it isn't rocket science.

EDIT: Marin points out that Weissach did their conversions with a RUF Germany tech on site.

Before RUF Dallas and in locations where there is not a RUF outlet, German RUF techs would fly out and do the conversion. That may be the point of confusion.

Of the Turbo R here on RL - I know of one of each type: My car was shipped to RUF Germany for conversion, Steve's car had a RUF Germany tech do the conversion in the US, and KMY's car was converted at RUF Dallas. Marin's car was done at Weissach (the NA RUF outlet) with a RUF Germany tech's assistance. There are many other examples on RL.
Patrick,

Thanks for the clarifiation regarding Ruf Techs for Turbo R conversions. I've alway read they had a Ruf Tech from Germany when doing a conversion installations. Good information

Greg
Old 01-23-2013, 12:01 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Default not

Nope.... its a Porsche VIN, but turbos have RUF markings/tag, there is a RUF tag rivoted to the engine with a serial # etc... but this is not a RUF Vin ca; just a straight up RUF Turbo R conversion done by RUF...

Originally Posted by IamSMC
Was a Ruf VIN applied to your car?
Old 01-23-2013, 12:45 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Felix
Are you saying I need to get out more?!
Moi? Non, pas moi.
Old 01-23-2013, 01:08 PM
marin77
Racer

On parle francais ici?
Old 02-02-2013, 01:03 AM
CP
Race Director

Received 334 Likes on 239 Posts

Folks,

Sorry I'm late to the party. I have not been around this forum much lately.

I believe world wide there are 18 Ruf VIN BTRs. I am not sure even one in in the US. Including this car, I personally know of 5 BTR conversions (including mine), 4 here and one in New Zealand. Although that one might have been totaled by now. There are probably more Turbo-Rs in the world than BTRs.

This particular BTR has the built-in roll cage that most others do not. That is only done in Pfaffenhausen, and involves a LOT of work (both structural and cosmetic). My BTR has almost everything Ruf offers, including titanium innerds, but no roll cage.

While Alois prefers narrow body for better aero-dynamics he converts whatever cars the customers sent him. I am only aware of 2 narrow-body BTRs (this and mine).

While there are multiple ways to get a car converted (Ruf tech here, Wessiach and or Ruf Center in N America) etc. I read that Pfaffenhausen conversion is the gold standard, because of the QA/QC and rigorous standards Alois insists on with any work done in his Pfaffenhausen shop.

As for clutch, BTRs almost by definition, starts life as a NA car, thus (unlike the 993TTs) no hydraulic assists in the clutch, so the BTR clutches are stiff. I am used to it but it is not traffic jam friendly.

Performance-wise, the Turbo Rs will dominate the BTR (twin turbo, AWD etc.) but both are really fun to drive.

This particular car is attractive in these areas:
(1) Built-in Roll cage. That is truly rare.
(2) AG Ruf sports seats. They do not look like Recaro A-8s to me, but still great seats.
(3) Ruf green gauges. Those are rare as well. I did not get them until November 2012.

I don't know much. These are my 2 cents on the BTRs. Enjoy.

CP
Old 02-02-2013, 11:39 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Super helpful CP, thanks for adding your thoughts to the thread.
Old 02-25-2013, 11:46 AM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

On a similar note, when I was at RUF last August, there were two used Cayman shells stripped to monocoque in special jigs being modified into CTR's. The tech told me they were both purchased as totaled cars and when they're completed, they will of course wear RUF vin's. He said they can do this as long as the damage is confined to the parts they would cut away ...
Old 02-25-2013, 12:05 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yikes. Salvage titles.......
Old 02-25-2013, 12:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by JPP
On a similar note, when I was at RUF last August, there were two used Cayman shells stripped to monocoque in special jigs being modified into CTR's. The tech told me they were both purchased as totaled cars and when they're completed, they will of course wear RUF vin's. He said they can do this as long as the damage is confined to the parts they would cut away ...
Really? Wow, that is interesting ... If I bought a RUF, I would have assumed an unmolested shell was used, and in fact I assume they used body in white's?

I don't care if they cut away the damage, from the pricing i doubt if RUF is passing on the "savings" and you are essentially getting a used car that has had an impact of some kind - sure it may measure straight but its still may have sustained a large impact shock, who knows how many welds/seams would look and measure fine, but have been compromised.

Well, it ok, not likely to have one of these in the stable anytime soon anyways...

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: 993 BTR (BTR-2) at Sloan