Sponsored by:

I have a problem (and long statement)

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 01:11 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Almost sounds like a fuel problem, like weak pump, bad filter or fuel. How old is the fuel in the car (given it was sitting for two years)? usually if it runs and then sputters and dies, its not ignition, especially if you wait and then it starts again. The fuel sat in the system for two years, that can cause all kinds of varnishing and deposits.

First step is to run a few tanks of Chevron, and and run extra Techron. You might have moisture in the bottom of the tank - have you run the tank really low?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-04-2012, 04:31 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

nbenn-

I will drive through there on Thursday! I like to take the Talihina Mena route on my way to ES. I was raised in Little Rock and long for the roads you have over there in NW AR. My dad still lives in LR and is active in the PCA and Mini Club. (Boxster, Cayman S and Mini S)

You need to meet Travis who lives in Alma. Great guy and knowledgable about 993s.

I hope that we can meet sometime.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM
nbenn911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know, I kinda keep going back to a fuel problem. It is kinda like a fuel pump going out. Or fuel or filter as was noted above. If I don't take it in to the dealer (or an indy) I am going to try changing the fuel. It may be a few days as I don't have much time right now. I will let you know what I do to get her going --- on a regular basis!
I think I will change the relay as that might be it. And should not hurt anything (except my pocket book)!
Thanks very much to all for the helpful comments.
Nathan
Old 11-04-2012, 06:29 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

We did not get any clarification -> are you still on the original tank of fuel, or how many tanks have you gone through?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:42 PM
nbenn911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Mike J
We did not get any clarification -> are you still on the original tank of fuel, or how many tanks have you gone through?
I had gone thru 2-3 tanks of fuel at least.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:49 PM
nbenn911
Track Day

Originally Posted by Texas993
nbenn-

I will drive through there on Thursday! I like to take the Talihina Mena route on my way to ES. I was raised in Little Rock and long for the roads you have over there in NW AR. My dad still lives in LR and is active in the PCA and Mini Club. (Boxster, Cayman S and Mini S)

You need to meet Travis who lives in Alma. Great guy and knowledgable about 993s.

I hope that we can meet sometime.
I hope you have a great time in NWA. The roads are fun! Maybe we can get together on a time when you are coming thru this way. You will bypass me if you go thru Talihina. I just live a couple of miles off HWY 71, but it is between Waldron and Mena. Have a safe drive thru the hills!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Rick GT3
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 75 Posts

nice garage!
Old 11-05-2012, 12:13 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

wont be DME. When DME goes car won't start. I'd replace fuel filter & check fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

Originally Posted by nbenn911
I had gone thru 2-3 tanks of fuel at least.
so why would you change the fuel now?
you need to find out if it is a fuel or spark problem before changing anything IMHO. my guess cause it runs for few mins is that is not a fuel issue.
did you inspect the dist cap?
Old 11-05-2012, 05:08 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Turbodan
so why would you change the fuel now?
you need to find out if it is a fuel or spark problem before changing anything IMHO. my guess cause it runs for few mins is that is not a fuel issue.
did you inspect the dist cap?
I disagree that its cap/rotor- the fact that it runs for a few minutes and then dies, let it sit for a bit then it starts again, that usually points to a fuel problem or DME relay. That could be a fuel pump not keeping up, or plugged filter, or a few other possibilities. Usually, ignition problems are either outright persistant failures, or problems while running, like a high load miss. Its possible but rarer that it would outright fail then go again - unless it's a DME relay - they can do that.

There are a lot of variables we do not know - like does it happen with a full tank AND empty tank, or just one? Does it happen more if the engine is under load. Does it happen more if the car is cold? Does it happen after a longer idle time then load? Did he swap the DME relay?

BTW, there have been lots of cases of failing DME relay's that fail during driving, will allow the car to restart and be random on their failure - it's not always just an outright failure.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-05-2012, 09:46 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Mike good points. I was a little rushed when I posted today. I agree that it does sound more like a fuel issue or some electrical management issue.
we need more info.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Protomotive in Harrison AR. No question that's where I'd go. GL
Old 11-06-2012, 11:54 PM
nbenn911
Track Day

Okay, I am back with more info!
I found the service order that I mentioned above. They changed the oil filter, 2 seal rings(?), 11 quarts Mobil 1, 6 spark plugs, fuel filter, 2 pollen air filters and filter insert. Also replaced rear tires and balanced and did alignment. Also fixed window switch and repaired air conditioning (basically recharged and found no leaks).
I picked up a relay and replaced it this evening. The car started up fine, but that is not new. I then drove the car over a mile and 1/2 and then back to the barn. The car ran fine without a hiccup one. I will risk taking it for a longer drive soon. I am cautiously optimistic that the relay solveed the problem (it cost 35 bucks). What say ye?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Sounds good - keep pounding on it for a while and see how it goes - and let us know!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 11-07-2012, 12:30 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Even after changing to a new dme I recommend that you keep a new spare in the glove box as they can fail at any time.

Quick Reply: I have a problem (and long statement)