Oil leak passenger side

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 12:55 AM
JB993
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil leak passenger side

I need advice from the collective here
I have looked at all the posts re oil leaks in 993tt's,but not sure my issue is the same...so don't quote the search button thing on me please and don't knock the newcomer!
After a drive (however long) there will be a small leak underneath the passenger side turbo.
The driver side remains dry as a bone.
Oil change done in Aug by well known and reputable tech(prior to me picking up the car after buying it...spoke with him and he feels it is only an over fill issue and not to worry.)
I DO know he does use Mahle filters/recommends them....
If the filter is the issue wouldn't there be leaks from both turbo's?

The car runs fine with normal boost pressures etc.
I bought a new set of Porsche filters and plan on changing the Mahle ones out ...is this a good first step or has anybody any other advice or ideas?Do I need to remove the driver side turbo to have a closer look at it?

I just would like the leak to disappear,so any advice would be greatly appreciated:
Old 09-23-2012, 01:17 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Some times there are oil issues on one side or the other - its hard to predict. You can also be having a valve cover leak or some other leak - have you looked under the car? If the car is not smoking on startup then oil is not likely getting past the seals on the turbos, so it might be another issue.

Anyways, a few items:

1 - Check the oil level (fully warm, idling) -> keep the oil in the lower 1/3 of the stick
2 - Look for oil leaks on the engine itself, lower valve gaskets, or perhaps you overfilled the oil and its leaking through the sheet metal.

Once you know its not an engine leak and likley the turbo's, then change the filters. Also, show your tech the TSB (check my web site) about using Porsche brand filters ONLY.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-23-2012, 02:00 AM
JB993
Instructor

Mike,
Thanks for the quick reply.
I have a lift so can check underneath the car quite easily.There is no leak from the valve cover.
There is ,thankfully,no smoke from startup .
Will check the oil level as suggested
I am sure you know John B(the tech who sorted the car out) in your city......he is extremely knowledgeable but somewhat eccentric!
I will talk to him re the tsb
Love the car but currently it reminds me of my old 1972 Beetle(as a student)where you checked for oil leaks all the time!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:39 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Funny that John recommended Mahle filters given he is a Porsche trained mechanic. No point to talk to him about it, he has his own mind and ways and I doubt if he will listen, and he should know the TSB's regardless -> he is not infallible though.

It does not sound like turbos anyways because you do not get any smoke on startup. If you have the car on a lift, where is the oil coming from?

Cheers,

Mike
Old 09-23-2012, 03:07 AM
JB993
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike J
Funny that John recommended Mahle filters given he is a Porsche trained mechanic. No point to talk to him about it, he has his own mind and ways and I doubt if he will listen, and he should know the TSB's regardless -> he is not infallible though.

It does not sound like turbos anyways because you do not get any smoke on startup. If you have the car on a lift, where is the oil coming from?

Cheers,

Mike
Leak seems to be from above where the turbo is....somewhat difficult to see up above the turbo itself
Small leak and only when I have taken the car out for a run.
The oil collects on the turbo reservoir and drips down ..stops when the car cools down
Old 09-23-2012, 12:10 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

There is an oil feed line from the cam carrier bridge to the turbo - perhaps that is leaking?

I would also remove the IC and check from on-top, sometimes you can get oil leaks on the upper valve covers, the cam carrier bridge or other spots in the space between the engine and the sheet metal on the upper side -> that can leak though.

You might want to clean it us best as possible (top and bottom) and go for a run, come back and put it on the lift and start looking - maybe drop the muffler and IC to get a better look.

Cheers

Mike
Old 09-23-2012, 01:07 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I always bring the Porsche branded oil filters to my independent for the oil change. DO NOT USE the Mahle filter. Many threads on this topic.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:28 PM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

It could also be a leak of power steering fluid. I was starting to get smoke every time I went out from under the rear wheel arch (right side from behind). Then started hearing noise from the pump. The reservoir had nearly emptied. Loose hose was the culprit from the pump.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:10 AM
azmurciev12
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Stewart
It could also be a leak of power steering fluid. I was starting to get smoke every time I went out from under the rear wheel arch (right side from behind). Then started hearing noise from the pump. The reservoir had nearly emptied. Loose hose was the culprit from the pump.
i had this problem too that my mechanic fixed.
Old 09-24-2012, 08:16 PM
JB993
Instructor

Thanks for the above replies and advice folks!
I will do some checking this week to see where the leak is coming from..also likely that it is overfilled during the oil change(? Seems higher than1/2 on the dipstick)

Quick Reply: Oil leak passenger side