Sponsored by:

amazing car...RUF Turbo R

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 07:18 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
Patrick, what were the most striking differences in your opinion?

(apart from the fact that the Ruf is a %#&# of al lot quicker)
Main impression is that the RUF is quite a bit faster - it just takes off much faster.

However, the TT was very smooth in the power delivery and was very civil. I could see it as a perfect daily driver AND track car.

The TT has less noise than my RUF. The RUF has a nice mechanical sound and mine is the stock ruf setup.

Both are amazing cars.
Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 AM
niche
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I drove a regular TT today. Quite a difference with a Turbo R!
Huge difference... After I drove Steve's Rufus, I started dreaming about a 993tt. After those first shots of boost, I was hooked! After driving a "regular" TT, I knew it wouldn't be enough... so I got the Turbo R. There's quite a difference.
Old 08-12-2012, 02:00 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

It seems you got the turbo R, and then some ... (570HP)
Old 08-15-2012, 08:52 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Black RUF wheels on

1st Mod done... many more to go.... couple quick shots, sorry, blackberry phone quality...

Rear I added 28mm spacer...fronts 7mm...

Sorry it was dusk and again camera not all the best, very happy with the new look...It is a shame as those rear air intakes on the side skirts really take away from how nice the turbo s air ducks look.. I am looking forward to removing them soon and adding my 993TT wing; hoping in next few weeks...
Attached Images    

Last edited by mickfluff; 08-15-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:00 PM
nyamg
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks amazing!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 09:03 PM
Marshy
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
1st Mod done... many more to go.... couple quick shots, sorry, blackberry phone quality...

Rear I added 28mm spacer...fronts 7mm...

Sorry it was dusk and again camera not all the best, very happy with the new look...It is a shame as those rear air intakes on the sike skirts really take away from how nice the turbo s air ducks look.. looking forward to removing them soon and adding my 993TT wing hoping in next few weeks...
Wheels look great Mick ! The black RUF wheels are a nice contrast with the white exterior.

You're making the right choice removing the rear air intakes. Should look tidier when they're off.

Keep posting the pics !

Geoff
Old 08-15-2012, 09:16 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

Looks great Mick!!! Really coming together nicely!

Kevin
Old 08-16-2012, 10:47 AM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 38 Posts

Just my opinion so please dont take it the wrong way. I just dont think the black Rufs look good at all. They just get kind of lost and almost cheapen the look of the car. Dont know what it is as I usually am a huge fan of that wheel. Just my opinion but I think those HREs looked much better.you need some gold center e88s on that beauty!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:01 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default no way

No way would I take it the wrong way buddy, I actually really love to hear all thoughts, input, comments and the reason I post up. Had a few guys at the shop feeling same way as you as the HRE wheels are a better wheel quality, lighter and a great look... so your not alone.

I think the car has a ways to go to get to get to my vision (hopefully 3 weeks) and even then have a feeling I maybe tweaking some things. The black wheels are very aggressive looking, which is what I like. I do think that kind of aggressive look plus all the aid inlets scoops is a bit strong (over done) and to your point "bit cheapens look of the car". I think once the side skirts come off, and the Turbo S wing (with more scoops and air intake holes) come off I really think the car will pull together... we will have to see. I may order some 19 RUF wheels in stock finish as well and have two sets to swap between...

Will keep all posted with the progress...

I am nervous what they will find under the Gambella side skirts, if stock are still there or have been removed? Any suggestions if I need new? Go standard or other possible options side skirt? Open to ideas... these Gambellas are actually molded to the car; its not as if there is a seem where they mounted but go right into the body work of the car... was a nice install, fully integrated etc, of the wrong parts IMO...

Originally Posted by moacur
Just my opinion so please dont take it the wrong way. I just dont think the black Rufs look good at all. They just get kind of lost and almost cheapen the look of the car. Dont know what it is as I usually am a huge fan of that wheel. Just my opinion but I think those HREs looked much better.you need some gold center e88s on that beauty!
Old 08-16-2012, 11:05 AM
993Godspeed
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

She is a beauty and I have been following your progress in obtaining her. What a car...

I am on board with member moacur. The finish of the HRE's complimented the white, although Ruf wheels are great just not feeling the all black look. Need to create some separation in color between the black tires and wheels.

The E88's with Gold centers...oh my, That would be crazy.
Old 08-16-2012, 11:16 AM
mickfluff
Drifting

Default Here will be the contrast

This has always been my contrast plan (you make a great point) seen below on my 997 in painted yellow calipers with RUF script... I have a feeling in my ownership I maybe going though a LOT of wheel options... and like the thought you both mentioned in the E88's.... the pics I posted with the RUF from my cell phone give an idea but not as accurate. The wheels are more a flat matte finish, where in the pics they blend right into the tire... I hope to get better pics up soon.

The bits and pieces may not add up to some, I understand but really think once done the car will really come together well...if not will just have to MOD more

RUF shifter just arrived as did my RUF pedal kit!

Originally Posted by 993Godspeed
She is a beauty and I have been following your progress in obtaining her. What a car...

I am on board with member moacur. The finish of the HRE's complimented the white, although Ruf wheels are great just not feeling the all black look. Need to create some separation in color between the black tires and wheels.

The E88's with Gold centers...oh my, That would be crazy.
Attached Images    
Old 08-16-2012, 07:04 PM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
and like the thought you both mentioned in the E88's....
Gold with your white Ruf would take your car to a whole nother level of awesomeness

Non e88's

and... here's a set of e26's I'm currently working on converting to 18's for my 964T

As you can tell... I love gold BBS
Old 08-16-2012, 07:33 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

i really like gold wheels on some cars (I had gold-centered Kinesis on my previous Arena Red TT), but I believe a Ruf Turbo R is best presented with Ruf wheels and other Ruf parts. I would prefer those wheels in the original Hyper Silver paint. But that's just me. Mick gets to do what Mick likes.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I think the allure of the Ruf wheels, especially on 993's is the hyper silver paint that the 19" aluminum wheels come in. The magnesium Ruf wheels which I had prior were finished in a typical silver which I didn't care for as much and painted them hyper silver. To me this just gave it a pop, just like the Turbo S wheels vs the standard twists. This is why I have never been a big fan of the Ruf 18's (although the 18's are probably more functional ).

One of the problems with a photographed black wheel on a white car is that in many cases you can't actually tell what type of wheel it is. In other words you could have painted the wheels that originally came on the car black and it wouldn't look that much different. I don't think the black looks bad, it just gets lost sometimes. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your new car and I'm glad the 28mm spacers worked out for you
Old 08-17-2012, 05:06 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by moacur
. I just dont think the black Rufs look good at all. They just get kind of lost and almost cheapen the look of the car. Dont know what it is as I usually am a huge fan of that wheel. Just my opinion but I think those HREs looked much better.you need some gold center e88s on that beauty!
I think this /\ /\ is sort of old skool thinking, traditional and what many of us liked on these cars in the late 90s and early 2000s.

Personally I love your new look the black Ruf wheels really modernise the look yet still retain the Ruf branding (as Bradford said it is hard to get the full effect of black wheels in pictures as they seem to get lost but in the flesh I can imagine they look even more awesome)

Those old HREs which were on the car would have looked good 10 or 15 years ago but now just look dated and E88s in gold now look stone age on these cars and on newer stuff like the 997 pictured look positively Jurassic, far too busy for the 997 lines...... All very much IMVHO FWIW etc

I do like the E88 on the 993 just not in gold

Quick Reply: amazing car...RUF Turbo R