Turbo priming question

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:24 AM
GRUWEZ
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbo priming question

Hi guys,

I found a couple of threads telling me I need to prime the turbos after reinstallation. Basically they tell me to detach the oil feed line (the one attached to the top of the turbo), remove the #26 fuse and crank the engine until oil comes out of the feed line.

That oil feed line seems rather difficult to get to with the engine in the car and the turbos already installed. Would it be OK to perform this priming procedure by detaching the oil return line from the turbo and crank the engine until oil comes out of turbo's oil reservoir?
Old 07-01-2012, 10:38 AM
WingChun
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GRUWEZ
Hi guys,

I found a couple of threads telling me I need to prime the turbos after reinstallation. Basically they tell me to detach the oil feed line (the one attached to the top of the turbo), remove the #26 fuse and crank the engine until oil comes out of the feed line.

That oil feed line seems rather difficult to get to with the engine in the car and the turbos already installed. Would it be OK to perform this priming procedure by detaching the oil return line from the turbo and crank the engine until oil comes out of turbo's oil reservoir?
That's it, you have it right. Even after reconnecting the oil return line, crank a bit more to allow oil to reach the scavenge oil pump gears, otherwise they'll be spinning at IMS speed with little oil going through them.
Old 07-01-2012, 07:00 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Just remove the turbo sump plugs and crank with the fuse removed until oil runs out of the turbo sumps.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:41 AM
GRUWEZ
Racer

Thanks, guys!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:32 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Forget the fuses - pull the DME and crank. Standard procedure if I open any oil lines, oil changes and if the car has been sitting for more than 2 weeks

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-03-2012, 03:08 AM
GRUWEZ
Racer

Originally Posted by Mike J
Forget the fuses - pull the DME and crank. Standard procedure if I open any oil lines, oil changes and if the car has been sitting for more than 2 weeks
Cheers,
Mike
Thanks, Mike. I suppose pulling the DME relais, rather than the DME itself, is sufficient? Right?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Yup, sorry for not being clear. Yes, its the DME relay in the front trunk electrical box, front right hand corner. If you pull it, you will not get any ignition or fuel pressure, but you will get to crank over the engine - which is perfect for what you are trying to do.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: Turbo priming question