Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone installed a Rennline 3-point strut brace in a 993tt? Any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 04:02 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone installed a Rennline 3-point strut brace in a 993tt? Any issues?

I ordered/received a Rennline 3-point strut brace a few months ago and I am finally getting around to installing it. However, the driver's side mounting plate lands right on the brake fluid reservoir and won't allow ANY thread engagement on one of the studs and VERY little on another one (see pictures).

On top of that, even if I could get the mounting plate mounted, I think the reservoir would be in the way of the angled bar that makes up the 3rd point.

I have sent an e-mail to rennline with the same pictures but haven't heard back yet (it hasn't been that long either). Just curious if anyone else has had the same or similar issues.
Attached Images    
Old 04-27-2012, 03:22 PM
ian 993gt2
Rennlist Member

hmmm that dont look right looking at the pics on the rennline site it seems to be a diff reservoir but give them a call i had some problems with rennline but one call to tom and he sorted it out double quick, top man
p.s that strut brace is a bit of an over kill without adjustable top mounts spend somemore money and get the rennline top mounts they have longer bolts welcome to the slope!
Old 07-03-2012, 04:23 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

So, the end result of this is that nobody can figure out why it wouldn't fit. My brake reservoir matches what is in PET. The bracket for the reservoir is spot welded to the inner fender and looks untouched, so I have to assume that it's in the original location. I tried removing the reservoir, bolting the strut brace mounts in and THEN reinstalling the reservoir and that didn't work. Basically I ran out of options and Rennline said they have NEVER had one that didn't fit (which I 100% believe).

In the end, I just ended up returning it to Rennline and they were GREAT! Even though I had bought the thing back in January, they gave me a 100% refund (less shipping of course) despite the fact that their policy clearly states that they will charge a 15% restocking fee after 30 days. They were quick to answer e-mails and just plain great to work with. I LOVE it when a manufacturer stands behind their product 100%. Thanks Tom!
Old 07-03-2012, 07:45 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

That is strange. I have a 2-point and here's what it looks like. Sorry for the low quality of the pic...its from my phone.

Chad
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2012, 12:20 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by PcarRacr
That is strange. I have a 2-point and here's what it looks like. Sorry for the low quality of the pic...its from my phone.

Chad
Yeah, a couple other people have posted in my 993 thread and/or sent PMs that they had no issues installing the Rennline bar (2 or 3 point). I'm absolutely certainly that it's my car that is the anomaly and not the bar.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:36 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have (from the prior owner installed) a strut brace. I'll take some pictures. The key with a strut brace are not to over torque the strut bolts (26 ft-lbs). Don't want those snaping off. A strut brace also helps to control/eliminate some of the annoying creaks in the front dash and windshield. Especially in a cab.

I have one in both cars. Turn-in is very-very sharp, but then again, I've never really driven these toys without for a true comp.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Just checked. Mine is a 2-pointer, kinda like the one pictured here in post #7.

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...nk-carpet.html

I found the receipt from the prior owner's purchase for my strut brace:

Schnell Strut Brace Silver
SKU# 208274
Part # C2993SBFS
Vertexauto.com
Purchased March 2007- $100.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-04-2012, 12:48 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Guess everything has gone up in price:

http://www.vertexauto.com/showitem.a...20Bar%20Silver

Quick Reply: Anyone installed a Rennline 3-point strut brace in a 993tt? Any issues?