Sponsored by:

Upgrading suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 02:59 PM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
I have had both, but on different 993s. I had the HDs with MO30 on a Targa and a Cab. Nice ride on both.

PSS10 in the RUF. Also very good. But the key difference is that I can adjust it to my liking for various situations. I don't adjust it much, but will sometimes stiffen it for hard driving.

PSS10 allow for adjustment and refinement, HDs don't. Simple as that. And with a turbo car, you may want the ability to make it stiffer for hard driving.

With that in mind, and the high cost that Tony already has in the car, I would go PSS10.
Slightly off topic, curious what would be your settings for hard driving? I'm thinking PSS10s really only offer soft, medium & hard. The actual differences between digits is unlikely noticeable.

Forum info seems to be staggered some say full stiff front/rear (on the track), other say rear softer than front and vice versa.

Currently running 7 (front) / 5 (rear) and seems good overall.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:36 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Following this thread with great interest! Anyone have an experience with the H&R PCS Coil-overs? Seems like they have the potential to be a blend in price, comfort and adjust-ability between shock-n-springs and PSS10s.
Attached Images  
Old 06-07-2012, 03:44 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Knight
Slightly off topic, curious what would be your settings for hard driving? I'm thinking PSS10s really only offer soft, medium & hard. The actual differences between digits is unlikely noticeable.

Forum info seems to be staggered some say full stiff front/rear (on the track), other say rear softer than front and vice versa.

Currently running 7 (front) / 5 (rear) and seems good overall.
RUF Dallas (installer for my car) recommended settings similar to yours, softer in the rear for more stability with all of the weight. I do 6F 4R for most driving. Stiffen by adding 2 to both front and back when I am doing more aggressive driving.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:25 AM
77'3.6vram
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Yes

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
Anyone tried both bilstein HDs and PSS9/10? Opinions?
I have PSS9 system on the turbo and HD's on my RS clone. The PSS9 is clearly the better setup. I would spend the extra $1000.00 and get a new PSS10. No question. I am going to buy PSS10 for the RS clone in the next few months. My HD's have corroded and are no longer adjustable.Mechanic says it would cost about as much time in labor to break the HD's free, to adjust, as to just replace the HD's with new.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:51 AM
Mark993TT
Racer

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Not a lot of TTs that are using Koni FSD as an upgrade for the stock shocks?

They seem to get good reviews from 993 owners.
Old 06-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

This is likely because the TT is 2x the cost of the NA 993's -> so the owners tend to be willing to spend more money when its time to replace/upgrade components, and they like to get the "best" for their cars. I know this is a general statement and is not true for all owners, but I bet it does for the majority... the shocks in the PSS10 class (and a few others) are considered top notch.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-20-2012, 02:08 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

Somehow I find it hard to believe it's mostly a cost thing.

There are a lot of expensive 993s out there, not being turbo's, and owners investing some serious dollars/euros in them.

The FSDs are supposed to be a good upgrade from the stock Monroe's. So they don't aim to compete with or be in the same (price)class as the PSSx. Just different purposes shocks.
Old 06-20-2012, 02:28 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark993TT
Somehow I find it hard to believe it's mostly a cost thing.

There are a lot of expensive 993s out there, not being turbo's, and owners investing some serious dollars/euros in them.

The FSDs are supposed to be a good upgrade from the stock Monroe's. So they don't aim to compete with or be in the same (price)class as the PSSx. Just different purposes shocks.
Hmm, not really saying is pure cost - its the cost of the upgrade vs. the cost of the car. its the ratio. I bet on higher costing 993's (say RS's, etc.) there is more of a tendency to put in the higher-end shock systems, i.e. PSS series.

If I have a $26,000 993, the $2700 for the PSS-10 is over 10% - if I have a $70,000 turbo, its only 4%.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 06-20-2012, 02:40 PM
Mark993TT
Racer

I hear what your saying Mike. And I am sure there is some truth in it.

But isn't it also, and maybe more so, a matter of what your aim is with the car/suspension. For example more sport/track driven or more street/comfort.

A lot of turbo drivers will not get the full benefit of the PSS10 adjustable coilover and maybe they need something closer to the stock suspension.

Aren't the FSDs more recently available than the bilsteins for our cars?

If I would have been convinced PSS10 are the way to go than I would not hesitate one bit. But if, for my driving (sport street, no lowering), some other shocks suffice and make a nice upgrade for the stock ones ... Choices choices

Quick Reply: Upgrading suspension