Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 11:32 PM
newton982
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 993TT at RAC

Does anyone know this car?:

http://inventory.rufautocentre.com/c...89913&d_id=947

I am strongly considering it, but the salesperson I spoke with doesn't want it to leave the premises for a PPI which I thought was a little unusual. Nonetheless, it does seem like a nice car and if it's one that is known in the local community it would give me a better sense of comfort.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:52 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

That is the second car I have seen there recently that appears to be missing the stone guards from the rear fenders ... I wonder if they are removing them for some reason? I thought the first car I saw might have had paintwork on it because they were gone.

http://inventory.racperformance.com/...Texas/1020067/
Old 05-14-2012, 03:18 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Seriously, before someone spends $70,000+ on a car, it's totally prudent that you do a PPI - that shows what kind of people they are if they refuse. I would run.

Is this the water damaged car that was discussed a while ago? I had looked into a car RAC had for sale (it might be that one), turned out it had been flooded and they did a bunch of repairs on the damage (replaced ECU, carpets, god knows what else). The sales guy was very cagey, this only came out after a fellow rennlister went around and saw the car. Personally, I do not trust these guys.

For me: No PPI, No buy!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-14-2012, 11:35 AM
bbs993tt
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 187 Posts

I'd be happy to check it out but with my upcoming schedule, I'm afraid it will be a month before I can make it over there.

It's a different car from the one that was flooded. That one sold a while back.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:41 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by bbs993tt
I'd be happy to check it out but with my upcoming schedule, I'm afraid it will be a month before I can make it over there.

It's a different car from the one that was flooded. That one sold a while back.
Good to know its not the flooded car. But the way RAC represented that car (I was looking at it when I was shopping for the TT), and what we eventually found out was quite a key piece of information - they were excluding the information that the car had been flooded. That is why I wanted to raise the flags - tread carefully, and if they do not want the car off the lot for a PPI, then I still stick to my initial statement - run!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 05-14-2012, 12:56 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Not the flooded car - and the flooded car was priced substantially lower. I am not familiar with this car.

RAC sells many cars on consignment. And they are the best 993 shop in town. If I were to sell my car through RAC on consignment (I am still the owner), I would not be happy about another shop touching it.

Those are just my thoughts. OP, I suggest you talk to RAC about where you would like to have the PPI done. Mayo and Zimms are two other respected shops in town, but not close to RAC. Boardwalk Porsche has/had a good 993 wrench, but I saw some crazy invoices come out of that shop for simple stuff - so I stay away. (Buddy paid $500 for what was essentially a bad DME relay.)

Good luck.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:03 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 259 Likes on 185 Posts

Nice car but the front bumper seems to have been resprayed
Old 05-14-2012, 09:14 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

personally I'd prefer black interior but that is a VERY pretty car!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I've been less than impressed with the used cars I've checked out in person at RAC. Salesperson says no paintwork, only to find a quarter panel had been resprayed. Do not buy anything from any dealer without getting an independent report. They just can't be trusted to give an accurate representation of the car and its condition. Of course if this is your dream car and they are willing to warranty it and accept its return if not as described, incl paying return shipping, then by all means, get a Rennfax and take a chance. You'd have nothing to lose.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:40 PM
mrsullivan
Nordschleife Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I have to agree on RAC.

I know that Patrick has had great experiences there, and great luck with his car. I think they are good guys. But I dont think that they are very persnickity about condition. I think that they are more geared toward the mechanicals and race set up... vs. originality and cosmetic condition, etc. Mechanicals may be most important, but when you are paying big money for a used car, the cosmetic and history matters too. Just my $.02

And as Patrick knows, when I lived in Dallas, I swore by Jeff Lee at Boardwalk. He is the only one I trusted with my 993s. But you absolutely get hosed with dealer rates, no doubt about that.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:45 PM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
Seriously, before someone spends $70,000+ on a car, it's totally prudent that you do a PPI - that shows what kind of people they are if they refuse. I would run.

Is this the water damaged car that was discussed a while ago? I had looked into a car RAC had for sale (it might be that one), turned out it had been flooded and they did a bunch of repairs on the damage (replaced ECU, carpets, god knows what else). The sales guy was very cagey, this only came out after a fellow rennlister went around and saw the car. Personally, I do not trust these guys.

For me: No PPI, No buy!

Cheers,

Mike
Totally agree! Any vendor who does not encourage you to have an independent PPI should be treated with suspicion. For me, as a seller of a vehicle, I WANT the potential buyer to get one done, in case there was an issue I was not aware of, so there is no nonsense later.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:38 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default this car?

anyone take it any further with this car and any new details to share as still for sale?

I made an offer on the white one they have but they passed.... the red one here seems worth exploring and just curious if anyone has any more data on the car? Thanks

Think it can be had for 65K?

http://inventory.racperformance.com/...Texas/1089913/
Old 06-13-2012, 02:00 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mickfluff
anyone take it any further with this car and any new details to share as still for sale?

I made an offer on the white one they have but they passed.... the red one here seems worth exploring and just curious if anyone has any more data on the car? Thanks

Think it can be had for 65K?

http://inventory.racperformance.com/...Texas/1089913/
The guys at RAC (nice folks) frequent these forums, so this may not be a good place to be seeking negotiation advice.
Old 06-14-2012, 03:04 PM
Alcav5
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to high jack the thread but... my '97 looks exactly same (red/beige) w/ 44.3K miles. I might be thinking of letting it go (I'm looking for an '08 GT2)

I'm curious to know how serious the potential market is.

Al
Old 06-14-2012, 06:54 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ca993twin
The guys at RAC (nice folks) frequent these forums, so this may not be a good place to be seeking negotiation advice.
Not sure why? So they see that a serious buyer from rennlist is interested - which hopefully means better qualified, and that people are presenting good arguments about why a price should be so (because this list is very aware of market prices). Regardless of the offer, its up to RAC to make the call to accept it.

Turbo's appear to be rising again, but it's spring into summer, usually the high spot in the year.

Cheers,

Mike

Quick Reply: 993TT at RAC