Sponsored by:

more DIY gt2rs intercooler data

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 11:16 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice work Juha!
I think it's also important to try and seal the IC to the tail opening somehow to make the air go through the IC and not around it. Although it might be a little difficult with your intake.
Be sure to post some of your data. I'm hoping to get to the track this weekend too and get more data.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:19 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Basal Skull

V - is that a protmotive intercooler? is it made to fit the stock throttle body? how do you get to/tighten the centre bolt on the intercooler/throttle body connection?
Yup Promotive. I have no idea how the centre bolt is tightened..

Originally Posted by sonny1
Kind off, mine are much bigger than that,the gt2 cores are much bigger and thicker than the Griffins.
Yes, they are much thicker clearly. If/when you have the I/C out, make sure to take pictures of it underneath. With fitment, is the problem more that it sits too high (because of the thickness of the cores), or is it that it's so deep front to back that it extends too far towards the rear of the car? Regardless, it's a wonderful project .

Originally Posted by Juha G
Tomorrow will be the first test at a local track, I am hoping I have solved the issue with rising IAT's now...
I've been following your build Juha - excellent! Would be nice to see the results this weekend! I guess that is a tight fit, getting everything in there?

Nice work Juha!
I think it's also important to try and seal the IC to the tail opening somehow to make the air go through the IC and not around it. Although it might be a little difficult with your intake.
Be sure to post some of your data. I'm hoping to get to the track this weekend too and get more data.
Yup, either shroud on the I/C or some kind of seal on the wing itself (underneath). I heard someone introducing the idea of installing pull fans underneath the I/C. It's an interesting thought but would it fit? My guess is no.. But to create some kind of natural flow of air is probably crucial.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:21 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by V
I heard someone introducing the idea of installing pull fans underneath the I/C. It's an interesting thought but would it fit? My guess is no.. But to create some kind of natural flow of air is probably crucial.

Yes I've thought of this too, since the alternator fan pulls air, I have wondered about more efficient/if more blades might help. I seem to remember the 11 blade fan vs smaller number of blades for the older 911's that people upgraded to to improve cooling. In the end I spent quite a bit of time making/fitting a rubber mat type material that I glued to the wing opening that sits on the edges of the intercooler to seal it off the best I can so that as much of the air the fan pulls in goes through the intercooler. Also sealing the tail from the body to limit air entering through the tail/body interface (which would also bypass the IC). The intake air is separated from this. I think I can probably improve on the intake by making a better air box cover and a better way to route the air from the gt2 wing. I've calculating the speed of the air passing though the intake at max rpm/depending on the opening etc...
Old 09-21-2012, 09:36 AM
V
Rennlist Member

Basal skull, PM sent
Old 09-21-2012, 09:53 AM
tacker
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i have a pair of 8" perma cool 2400 cfm fans mounted on top of the stock intercooler. Currently I have a switch on the console to turn the fans on. Works great at fighting heat soak but the setup needs to come on based on speed and 5 min after the car is turned off. I ordered the parts today to switch the throttle body and it looks like I can relocate the heater fan back about 3" to clear the intercooler, I will need to ditch the flapper valve part of the heater box.it's only for quick warm up anyway.

As far as the air box I will have to fab up a low profile box around a cone filter and then use a pair of 3" flex tubing and connect that to the spoiler/wing. i have the wing with side openings, this will work great at bringing in fresh air to the air box.

So far i have drawn up a basic Intercooler using 3 gt2 rs cores and then I made a cardboard box that represent the outside dims. Next when i get the throttle body changed over, I will mock up the intercooler using a block of Styrofoam because i can easily cut curves and add more detail. From here I should be able to update the drawing. After the drawing is complete I will section the end tanks in to machinable parts. Should be pretty cool
Old 09-21-2012, 11:23 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Basal Skull;9855534]

V - is that a protmotive intercooler? is it made to fit the stock throttle body? how do you get to/tighten the centre bolt on the intercooler/throttle body connection?

QUOTE]

haha I purchased that a while back. Instead of the bolt traveling thorugh the IC like stock you have a bolt it exposed under the IC. The hole is covered by the blue tape in the picture
Old 09-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Juha G
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 31 Posts

Nice work Juha!
I drove the car a bit today...Ambient was abt. +15*C, I drove the **** out of the car but still couldn't get the IAT to show even +20*C. It was constantly between 15-18*C!!!! I am really at loss of words on how well these coolers work!!!!

The old water/air setup showed +40-50*C only after a short pull. It would quickly come back down though (except on the track where the liquid had no time to cool down between the bursts). But with the new cooler, the IAT never goes up...AMAZING!!!

After driving, the supercharger was very hot and so was the drivers side end of the IC, but going along the IC core it got cold to the touch already in the middle, and then there is the other intercooler too, which never got even warm!

Last edited by Juha G; 09-21-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Tacker - that sound really cool. Would love to see pics of process/when done.

Spartan - I thought that would be the way but didn't think it would be easy to reach underneath to do that. It clearly must be possible, will look at/think about it some more.
Old 09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Juha congrats!!!

Unfortunately just found out a few mins ago that my track day this Sunday is cancelled d/t low registration
Might have to wait till next season for me to get any good data.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by tacker
So far i have drawn up a basic Intercooler using 3 gt2 rs cores and then I made a cardboard box that represent the outside dims. Next when i get the throttle body changed over, I will mock up the intercooler using a block of Styrofoam because i can easily cut curves and add more detail. From here I should be able to update the drawing. After the drawing is complete I will section the end tanks in to machinable parts. Should be pretty cool
Hey Tacker,

Is your end tank design similar to "sonny1"s? Would love to see your design.

Quick Reply: more DIY gt2rs intercooler data