Sponsored by:

more DIY gt2rs intercooler data

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 02:04 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
Default more DIY gt2rs intercooler data

More data from today's track day. (Ridge Motorsports)
Data from front stretch as before. (Bar again is absolute so subtact 1).https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=28499

First graph from stock intercooler (fastest speed/quickest sector time in that session - first session of day temp low teens Celcuius ambient - temps 10+ degrees higher than last time)

Second graph from my DIY gt2rs specials - 4th session/mid teens Celcius)

On the straighaway (as seen on the graphs up to 140mph - near redline in 5th), post intercooler temps:
stock 51 degrees celcius
DIY gt2rs 34 degree celcuis

Basically for the other sectors on the track, with the stock intercoolers, the post intercooler temps ran in the mid 30's/getting into 40's.
With the DIY cooler, the temps were in the mid 20's.

Does it make a difference in performance? Felt like it did.
Attached Images   
Old 04-29-2012, 02:06 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

some vids from the day (C is the post intercooler temp, I have to find a better place to locate my rearward looking camera)

http://youtu.be/ZBfH0RSF_U8
Old 04-29-2012, 03:22 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Enjoyed the video Basal, wow that track does look fun.

It's like you both literally had the track to yourselves.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:34 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

It's a Bullet Racing 'screened' event for "A" drivers. There were only 1/2 dozen steet cars and a dozen race cars. One run group, pass anywhere (don't need point by), open track day. I used 2 and 2/3 tank of gas. Some of my sessions were 40+ mins long. We can pass most of the race miatas/bmw's since we are so much faster in the straights. The Porsche race/cup cars leave us in the dust/make us look like we're standing still though. My friend had one of bullet racing's drivers take his car out (gt3rs) and he could make it go quite a bit faster so lots more for us to learn. One of the experienced drivers said that he felt this track was the best track on the west coast...
Weather cooperated, overcast/sprinked but not enought to make anything wet.
Gong out again again today. Going to try to concentrate on my line and shift less.
There isn't that much to do in Shelton so went to sleep early and got up a little too early. Supposed to be even better weather today.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great data. It appears you are picking up 2-3 mph w/ the new ic.
Looking at your fab pics, do you think there is anyway to shorten/modify the IC's so they fit under a stock rear wing/gt2 type wing?
I had planned to quantitate what methanol/water injection would do this weekend but couldn't make it to the track.
Using the andial gauge below I know the post IC temp is about 15-20F above the pre IC temp under normal use. Even getting on the turbos 5 seconds seems to increase that delta to 40F quickly.
The gauge on the left monitors head cylinder temps.
Hopefully in a few months there will be enough information to publish, lol.
Attached Images  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:34 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Acropora
It appears you are picking up 2-3 mph w/ the new ic.

Looking at your fab pics, do you think there is anyway to shorten/modify the IC's so they fit under a stock rear wing/gt2 type wing?

Using the andial gauge below I know the post IC temp is about 15-20F above the pre IC temp under normal use. Even getting on the turbos 5 seconds seems to increase that delta to 40F quickly.
It felt like it had more oomph, looks like more timing too. Should see more of a difference in warm weather one would assume. The gas is only 92 octane and there were a couple of runs where it would stop accelerating in some spots - the data shows timing being pulled quite a bit more and the boost pressure doing weird things - I assume the ecu trying to protect the engine.

The problem with this intercooler is that it is quite a bit longer than stock cores, I had to tilt it to 'open' the leading edge for the intake in the center, that opened up the back edge on the ends to fit the turbo hose. The intake is on a slant so to get the intercooler lower, it gets pushed back... might work if you fab a different end tanks that are thinner and fab a thin funnel to go from the hose to the end tank? Without tilting the cores, the space in between gets pretty narrow too...

pre intercooler temps - meaning intake temp before the turbo/ambientish temp? after turbos would be hotter than the post intercooler temps? comparing to ambient, I think mines keeping the delta about 20 degrees C up to 140mph. (close to 35-40 with stock).

(your set up looks cool, mine is a little bit of a mess of wires over the tray behind the parking brake)
Old 05-21-2012, 01:35 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

Random observations.. Today at Gingerman raceway I was getting about 40-50C delta at about 90F ambient with the stock IC.
Water injection consumed a gallon of windshield washer fluid per half hour of spirited driving!
The oil temp gauge stayed about half way between the second and third (of four) white marks. Normally it'd be mid/upper between the third and fourth marks.
Max boost was set to 1 bar and was enough to slowly pull a tuned GTR and a stock 458 on the straight.
Kind of useless info as these are new turbos and I'm staying in fourth instead of third coming out of turns.
Upgrading the IC appears to be a no brainer.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:38 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Acropora
Random observations.. I was getting about 40-50C delta at about 90F ambient with the stock IC.
Water injection consumed a gallon of windshield washer fluid per half hour of spirited driving!
90 F is 32 C so are you getting 40-50C post intercooler intake temps or by delta you mean 40-50 + 32 so 72-82 C??? I assume it's 40-50C post intercooler intake temps (esp with water injection - onto the intercooler and not into the intake right?).
Old 05-21-2012, 04:17 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Brad, re-reading your posts (and previous pm's), you have a pre and post intercooler temp gauge, and the delta you're talking about is the difference in temp/drop in temp across the intercooler, is that right?
So by delta of 40-50C, that's the drop in temp across the intercooler? Which actually sounds pretty good. The numbers I've been logging are just post intercooler temps. Anyway to figure out what the post intercooler temps are on your setup/get the absolute numbers?
I would need to get another temp sensor to log pre intercooler temps to calculate the drop across the intercooler (which I might do at some point).
Old 05-22-2012, 02:34 AM
Acropora
Burning Brakes

The air on the track was about 90F, post IC temp got all the way up to 220F but ran about 200F. Sorry for the confusion, I tried to convert to Celsius to make it easier for you.
The water/methanol liquid is getting injected into the air/fuel mixture.
I'm happy as the engine is running nice and cool. The goal was improved engine longevity rather than increased power really.
Shifting into the next gear before 6000 RPM most of the time is also pretty relaxing.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

That's over 90C post intercooler temps! that's pretty hot! I guess the water/meth gets injected (post intercooler?) and temps decrease some from that but gees, that seems too hot...

Sonds like fun being able to real in 458/gtr's driving at a relaxing pace. I'ver recently adopted a more relaxed driving style (staying in 4th like you mentioned instead of shifting to 3rd), taking more speed in the corners and not relying on my turbo's straight line acceleration. I did well relying on better acceleration until recently when the newer cars also are now pretty quick down the straight. My car's in the shop getting more shinny suspension bits whcih hopefully will let me do better in the corners!
Old 06-20-2012, 03:10 AM
Knight
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 42 Posts

Basal how does your car generally perform against Tim's GT3 RS?

Def interested in getting out on the track to learn the potential and higher limits of the car, maybe at the next BBC we can chat about some of the additional maintenance costs I should expect....
Old 06-20-2012, 05:02 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Hi, I have to be careful what I say since I know he frequents this forum also (LOL!).

Our cars a pretty equal. I think I have to work more (more tiring to drive) at the same speed. There's min difference (probably none) in the straights. I used to think my car was faster on the straights but I think it depends on how hot the air engines get or the altitude (or perhaps his car wasn't broken in yet early on). I seem to be slightly faster on high speed turns vs him faster in slower turns. He's running the new pilot super sports (the new street tire that is supposed to perform as well as r-comp?). I've been using AD08 or R888. He has some RSS suspension bits/upgraded LSD. I just recently got ERP/Tarret bits/LSD (have had motons for a while) and my car feels better now in corners but have only been to the track once with the current set up. I think we have virtually identical times on the track but when he gets behind a faster driver, he seems to be able to keep up where I have to work at it. On that track day, according to my data, I was running likely a few hp down with a bad sensor which I got replaced (almost a full second slower 60-130mph on the straight). Our next date is July 8th, looking forward to it.

The new cars are great, PDK cars are really fast and easy to drive, but I'm sticking with my old car for sure. I think Tim would probably get a 993tt if the right one comes along to add to his fleet.

The maintenance is fine, it's just the tires/(mostly placebo) performance bits/data logger/etc etc that can cost a little.

See you on Sat. at the bbc
Ryojo
Old 06-23-2012, 01:37 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Impressive results Bassal, are you planning on selling these?
Old 06-23-2012, 03:58 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JBL930
Impressive results Bassal, are you planning on selling these?
Hi Thanx!
Not planning on selling. My welding skills have improved and I'll probably make a version 2 that may fit a little better/look better at some point. I learned quite a lot and I know there are better ways of doing things that I struggled with. It's really not good enough work to sell. It's also pretty time consuming and I have limited free time that I can create d/t my day job.

Who knows though, if I ever end up making another one, I might make 2

Quick Reply: more DIY gt2rs intercooler data