Sponsored by:

how to drain maximum volume of oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 10:53 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts
Default how to drain maximum volume of oil

About to make the switch to V-Twin 20W-50 from Mobil1 15W-50. Still can't believe I'm going to be using the same oil in my TT as my HD SuperGlide haha but I digress....

Being the lunatic I am on matters relating to this car, I want to get as much oil out so I can get as much 20W-50 in as possible.

What is the best way to extract maximum oil during an oil change. I'm sure this had been asked before but couldn't pinpoint it on search.

My plan thus far is to drive the car till its good and warm and then immediately pull the oil tank plug, crankcase plug, some other plug in the crankcase area with a spring on it, turbo sump plugs, and both filters. Anything else I should / can drain?
Old 04-13-2012, 06:52 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That should be fine. You'll be able to add back about 10 quarts. The V-Twin has been vary-vary guud to me.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:09 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I would not take out the pressure relief spring, which you are doing.

I would remove the oil feed tube to the oil pump (just below the secondary oil filter), that usually has lots.

For the turbo, I drain from:

1 - Tank when HOT
2 - Primary oil filter
3 - Sump drain
4 - Oil catch cans - each turbo
5 - Oil Feed line
6 - Secondary filter

If you want to get really wild, you can start to take out the oil cooler lines - but the idea is to dump the oil hot from the tank drain to get at least the oil out of the thermostat. The lines are much harder to drain since they go up and over in the front wheel well.

Also, when putting back the oil, I usually put in about 7-8 quarts, pull the DME, and turn over the engine until I get 1 or more Bars of oil pressure - this fills the new filters and primes the system on startup. I will then start the engine, and you can top it up when you get an accurate measure of the actual level.

For some reason, I found the last three Turbo's that I have change the oil that 9 US Quarts seems to bring the oil to the bottom of the dipstick, so how many quarts depends on where you want the level of the stick. Most people keep it 1/3 or lower in order to lessen the chance of overfill when hot, and the possible siphoning of oil into the Turbos.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-14-2012, 11:33 AM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
That should be fine. You'll be able to add back about 10 quarts. The V-Twin has been vary-vary guud to me.
Hoping for the same
Old 04-14-2012, 01:26 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mike J
I would not take out the pressure relief spring, which you are doing.

I would remove the oil feed tube to the oil pump (just below the secondary oil filter), that usually has lots.

For the turbo, I drain from:

1 - Tank when HOT
2 - Primary oil filter
3 - Sump drain
4 - Oil catch cans - each turbo
5 - Oil Feed line
6 - Secondary filter

If you want to get really wild, you can start to take out the oil cooler lines - but the idea is to dump the oil hot from the tank drain to get at least the oil out of the thermostat. The lines are much harder to drain since they go up and over in the front wheel well.

Also, when putting back the oil, I usually put in about 7-8 quarts, pull the DME, and turn over the engine until I get 1 or more Bars of oil pressure - this fills the new filters and primes the system on startup. I will then start the engine, and you can top it up when you get an accurate measure of the actual level.

For some reason, I found the last three Turbo's that I have change the oil that 9 US Quarts seems to bring the oil to the bottom of the dipstick, so how many quarts depends on where you want the level of the stick. Most people keep it 1/3 or lower in order to lessen the chance of overfill when hot, and the possible siphoning of oil into the Turbos.

Cheers,

Mike
Why no on the pressure relief spring? I only ask because I once mistakenly removed it thinking it was the cranckase drainplug. Just curios what the consequences are.

Forgot about the oil feed line. Thats the one most people remove just to get easier access to tthe small filter is it not?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:56 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you are really concerned about the % of V-Twin, just make sure to do another oil change prior to winter hibernation, IIRC, you don't put too many miles on your Turbo per year.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by badabing
Forgot about the oil feed line. Thats the one most people remove just to get easier access to tthe small filter is it not?
Yes, that is the one.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:57 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I take off the oil-feed line for two reasons - one is access, but I also get a fair amount of oil from that drain.

As far as the relief spring, I suppose there is really no reason not to take it out, other than the risk of losing the spring, or putting it back wrong. I cannot remember the seal there - if its a O ring or crush washer.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 241 Likes on 163 Posts

Academically interesting I suppose but can't imagine it's worth all this trouble getting a pure change. I think the V Twin is marginally better and I've switched but mixed in my last 5 litres of 15w50 to use it up.
Old 04-28-2012, 03:28 AM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by ronnie993tt
Academically interesting I suppose but can't imagine it's worth all this trouble getting a pure change. I think the V Twin is marginally better and I've switched but mixed in my last 5 litres of 15w50 to use it up.
Not sure what you mean by a "pure change" - there are too many pockets of oil on these cars to get all the oil out unless you completely rebuild the engine and all cooling components.

I just try to get as much as I can out in the quickest time.

Quick Reply: how to drain maximum volume of oil