Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unwanted attention...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 08:22 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used a 993 C2 as a daily driver for almost 2 years and quite a few miles without a single incident. Literally nothing!! No thumbs up. No waves. No middle fingers. No tickets. Nothing! …..and it was Guards Red.

The turbo gets a lot of questions when parked (grocery store, restaurants, gas staions, etc) and A LOT of looks, but it is Purple after all. However, I have yet to get any waves, honks, light flashes, middle fingers or ticket while driving but, I certainly notice people staring though. Again, I’m sure it has A LOT to do with the color and not the car.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:29 PM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Lot of waves and thumbs-up when in the Turbo. The Boxster is more under the radar. Funny thing is, when in the 993 I get waves and such from other 911 owners. In the Boxster, only other Boxster owners wave and etc. Most of the time 911 owners ignore the Boxster. Silly, but true.
Interesting flip side to that is that when I wave or flash lights to Boxster owners (and I do it whenever I see one), I do not get one in return. Literally, not one time has a Boxster waved or flashed back to me.

I grew up in a 356 that my dad bought as a project and fixed up. In the late 70's and through the 80's, I can CLEARLY remember flashing your lights if you saw another Porsche, PERIOD! If you didn't flash your lights to another Porsche (yes, even 924's) you were consider a pompous d%&k.....and you know what, they ALWAYS flashed their lights back at you.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:28 PM
speedy88
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's true, well then, mayben it was the "speed yellow" color. I think I been pulled over twice in the last 2 months. A BMW was trying to race me. By now, I try to ignore them.
Old 03-23-2012, 12:00 AM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottMellor
In SoCal Porsches are not considered noteworthy.
I get a LOT of thumbs ups and grins.
I apparently was raced by the kid in the Mustang last month who crashed next to me, but I was unaware of him until I heard the screeching tyres.
Steve, the only people throwing underwear at cars are 16 year old fan-boys.
I think I saw you last week. I live in Hidden Wills West in Calabasas,
Old 03-23-2012, 09:07 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BLT4SPD
Interesting flip side to that is that when I wave or flash lights to Boxster owners (and I do it whenever I see one), I do not get one in return. Literally, not one time has a Boxster waved or flashed back to me.

I grew up in a 356 that my dad bought as a project and fixed up. In the late 70's and through the 80's, I can CLEARLY remember flashing your lights if you saw another Porsche, PERIOD! If you didn't flash your lights to another Porsche (yes, even 924's) you were consider a pompous d%&k.....and you know what, they ALWAYS flashed their lights back at you.
Here in the midwest, flashing the lights is more a sign of a police speed trap warning. I usually wave my hand out the sunroof in the turbo or just above the sun visor in the Boxster, since the top is always down.
Old 03-23-2012, 01:42 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Hi Allan,
Yes I work in Calabasas right by you.
Shoot me a note any time and we'll meet up for a coffee or a beer.

When I go to work on Mullholland Hwy, the flashing of the lights is warning of the police radar trap.

996/997 turbos, Boxters, Panameras and Cayennes NEVER wave, other wise they'd drop their cell phones....
Older Porsches sometimes wave.
Motorcyclists sometimes wave.
Old 03-23-2012, 02:02 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I give the Harley guys & gals the low V. They always wave. And I tell them I use motorcycle oil in my engine, and they love it.
Old 03-23-2012, 11:29 PM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Hi Allan,
Yes I work in Calabasas right by you.
Shoot me a note any time and we'll meet up for a coffee or a beer.

When I go to work on Mullholland Hwy, the flashing of the lights is warning of the police radar trap.

996/997 turbos, Boxters, Panameras and Cayennes NEVER wave, other wise they'd drop their cell phones....
Older Porsches sometimes wave.
Sounds good! Soon as my new car arrives Ill give you a shout!
Old 03-25-2012, 01:02 AM
BLT4SPD
Pro

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Here in the midwest, flashing the lights is more a sign of a police speed trap warning. I usually wave my hand out the sunroof in the turbo or just above the sun visor in the Boxster, since the top is always down.
Yeah, I'm trying to keep the police warning flash alive and well in my neck of the woods too, but it seems to be a dying art. I'm not sure why, but it seems like that tradition is falling by the way side.

However, I usually assume that if I'm in a Porsche and I get a flash from another Porsche, it's a "Hi" and not a police warning.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Spidey 993

I'm like a rock star in my car. All ages, race, man or woman.

I'm serious, I'm starting to get a bit insecure and may have to get hair plugs if I keep this car.

Quick Reply: Unwanted attention...?