Sponsored by:

Unwanted attention...?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:48 AM
urquattro20Vt
Burning Brakes

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Unwanted attention...?

Guys - seeing solomonschris' post about his car being vandalized reminded me - I've been wondering:

How often do you find yourself getting unwanted attention - because you are driving a 911 Turbo? From:

Cops?

Guys in hopped up Subaru WRX STi's (or whatever) wanting to race?

Sneers/comments if cruising along - say downtown?

Vandalized while parked?

Other?

One of the very few reservations I have about getting a 993 turbo is losing my "under the radar" status...

Thanks-

Brandon
Old 03-21-2012, 02:05 AM
ducatiracer34
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well..interesting question.

After nearly ten years driving my 993TT, I have only one cop story. Driving through one of the local interstate speed traps (where everyone is still doing 80), I suddenly discovered that I was doing 85 in a 70, the previously motionless but now rapidly approaching (with lights ablaze) state trooper having brought that to my attention. Cursing loudly and getting ready to put my turn signal on, imagine my surprise when he pulled over the Honda right next to me, who was going exactly the same speed in the same place.

Although I was recently cursed out by an insolent, bicycle-riding 13 year old at a stop light, normally I get thumbs up and the occasional horn toot when driving down the road. Maybe I look like I'm having a good time, maybe my perma-grin makes it hard for them to sneer...don't know but I've not had any negative experiences that otherwise come to mind.

That being said, you will lose your "under the radar" status for sure. However, in my experience, it's been a fairly pleasant loss!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

never. Nobody says anything, never been pulled over, nobody tries to race, etc.

extremely under the radar.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Kein_Ersatz
Rennlist Member

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

Color may have some impact, for stealth not Speed Yellow, Arest-me Red. or Smurf Blue.

Here in fly over land, car rage doesn't seem to be an issue as much, by the State Patrol has no sense of humor, so show respect. :wall:
Old 03-21-2012, 01:43 PM
Allan-BilletDesign
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Hmm In Cali my modded 997TT doesnt even get a glance. Take the Diablo out, thats a whole other story.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 521 Likes on 390 Posts

many want to race...I just laugh,
many use cell phone cameras while I am driving and some stand around car when parked....been pulled over by police who admitted he just wanted to check out the car. many want to talk when stopped at a light etc. Some ask if it is the new model. Been followed a couple time too...once to my driveway.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

My only hassle was a CHP ticket on twisty Hiway 17... for illegal window tint! I get many thumbs up, and a few "zowies". I've never had any panties thrown my way.
Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I really only get attention from people who know what a "RUF" or "993" is. Otherwise, to many it is just another porshhh.

I do get a ton of attention in my 1988 Toyota Land Cruiser. Everyone wants to talk about it. I'm not too worried about vandals and theft...
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Nothing from police, but I have never seen intentional "jagoff" driving like I have since getting the Porsche. Stuff like people speeding up or slowing down to cut off your lane change, not letting you in, making an unsignaled lane change in front off you causing you to brake hard to keep from getting hit, flipping you off just cause, etc. Even my wife has noticed it.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:42 PM
marin77
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mostly thumbs up from bikers and a few select car fans. Otherwise, there is a ton of flashier / more expensive cars in NYC so I do not get a lot of attention which is perfect ...
Old 03-22-2012, 09:29 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Lot of waves and thumbs-up when in the Turbo. The Boxster is more under the radar. Funny thing is, when in the 993 I get waves and such from other 911 owners. In the Boxster, only other Boxster owners wave and etc. Most of the time 911 owners ignore the Boxster. Silly, but true.

Been pulled over twice in the Boxster for 'no front plate'. Warning ticket only. Not pulled over in the Turbo. No front plate there either.
Old 03-22-2012, 12:04 PM
roarke01
Instructor

Similar for me. Had a guy in a big turbo diesel pickup who wanted to race me at a stoplight. Must have figured all that torque off the line would give him bragging rights with his buddies. Sorry, no.

Thumbs up, and did have some kids following me once taking pictures with their cell phones.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:04 PM
utahrock
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I sometimes have people speed up and look it over. And I wouldn't leave it parked somewhere at night. But no one's tried to race and the reactions I've noticed are all positive.

But I ignore everyone most of the time. If I'm in crowded traffic and I look around at other cars, some people are looking at my 993. I don't mind it too much, but that's not why I bought it. I'd just as soon have a disguise mode that would make it appear as an old, blue Ford Taurus or something.
Old 03-22-2012, 01:11 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

In SoCal Porsches are not considered noteworthy.
I get a LOT of thumbs ups and grins.
I apparently was raced by the kid in the Mustang last month who crashed next to me, but I was unaware of him until I heard the screeching tyres.
Steve, the only people throwing underwear at cars are 16 year old fan-boys.
Old 03-22-2012, 03:30 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Silicon Valley an older, but not yet vintage, Porsche garners little attention. This is the place where every just released new car is already on the road. I see Elon Musk driving a Telsa S up Page Mill Road to his house and I see a few Fiskars around. We have a McLaren/Fiskar dealership on the corner of El Camino Real and Arastradero Rd.

Quick Reply: Unwanted attention...?