Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diagnosing a turbo oil leak problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
calao
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion the only legal argument you would have is if you could prove that the technician used the wrong filter for the vehicle. NOT using " Porsche parts " would not be enough of a argument .
Old 12-19-2011, 05:15 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

Well, the filter is clearly a MANN filter. They can argue someone switched it after the fact, but that is not the case. Can it be proved? No, since once the car leaves the shop its out of their control.

I have not seen the receipts but my friend say the shop claims they used a "Porsche" filter. That could mean Porsche branded or a filter that works on a Porsche. :-)
Old 12-19-2011, 05:19 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike J
One way is to contact the sub-contractor that rebuilt the turbos to see if they indeed really needed to be rebuilt.
Interesting point. If they did not need to be rebuilt, you would think a reputable business person would have said 'hold on a minute, these are fine'.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:35 PM
calao
Track Day

From past experience what i would do is remove the drain plugs on the turbos and let it drain for about 1 hour. Then put a frech catch basin under each turbo and see how much oil comes out of each. Let it sit (drain ) overnight ,if the filters are working and you don't have to much pressure in the crank case it should not drain anymore oil. If oil continues do drain then you either have a bad filter or to much pressure in the crank case. Solution would be replace filter . If it continues to drain oil then install a check valves and the updated turbo oil return lines. If that doesn't fix the problem then it gets expensive
Old 12-19-2011, 05:39 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 67 Posts

Well, the filter is clearly a MANN filter. They can argue someone switched it after the fact, but that is not the case. Can it be proved? No, since once the car leaves the shop its out of their control.

I have not seen the receipts but my friend say the shop claims they used a "Porsche" filter. That could mean Porsche branded or a filter that works on a Porsche. :-)
Where is the small filter now? Certainly it will be useful as evidence to demonstrate the failed internal check valve.

Somewhere along the line someone is culpable for the damage caused by the defective part.

And the larger filter? Was it changed at the same time? What brand is it ?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:45 PM
calao
Track Day

I had the same exact problem with my car. My car didn't smoke until i changed my oil with the correct filters and the proper amount of oil . yet after the oil change my car started to smoke. I can't blame anyone ! Sometimes things just happen !. I think you would have to take MANN to court and prove that they are making sub standard filters . Good luck with that.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:50 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

both filters and oil were changed.

On customer pickup, the car was smoking from the exhaust and the customer as told told me to give it a week to see if it would go away (!!)
The way I see it this piece of advice is what really has the shop on the hook.

Had the car not been driven but rather diagnosed at that time there would be no chicken/egg discussion now.

The shop needs to make good on this.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:55 PM
badabing
Rennlist Member

How did you correct the smoking?
Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 PM
calao
Track Day

I agree, the problem needs to be properly diagnosed before fault or fingers are pointed . The way i see it we are pointing fingers without realy knowing what the problem is. Why not take it back to the shop and let them get to the bottom of it ?
Old 12-19-2011, 06:00 PM
calao
Track Day

Badabing.

I went from least expensive to most .

1. Replaced small filter three times LOL

2. Put check valves. problem continued

3. Put return lines...fixed problem .

My next step would have been to do a leak down test. If it passed than i would rebuild the turbos
-During the winter i rebuilt the turbos just for the fun of it.

Last edited by calao; 12-19-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:41 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 274 Likes on 183 Posts

Small claims is definitely an inexpensive way to deal with legal disputes. $75 to file and things usually get settled at the (mediated) pre-trial hearing. I'm no lawyer but have been successfull using small claims several times. However, you have to prove your case and I think something like this would be difficult. You would probably need some expert witnesses, and even at that, how's the judge going to pick? You could probably get a partial settlement at the pre-trial if you played the ***** and insisted on your 15 minutes in front of the judge.......get some advice from your lawyer if you decide to do it yourself.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:42 PM
calao
Track Day

I no longer have a problem with smoking.

The problem with women and scotch still hound me though, lol
Old 12-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

As far as i understand, the shop is taking the car to solve the problem, and i supplied the tsb so my friend has some ammo. I will give them some time, and will report back when i know more.

Cheers

Mike

Quick Reply: Diagnosing a turbo oil leak problem