Sponsored by:

Hollow Spoke Refinishing

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 11:01 PM
boostid
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hollow Spoke Refinishing

Well guys, I took advantage of the $70 discount on Michelins and had new PS2s installed on my original Hollows today. These wheels were perfect when I took them in (took photos). Needless to say, they are no longer perfect. Deep gouges on the face of the spokes on three out of four wheels, chips on the fourth. Store says it will reimburse me for the repairs.

Question is, are these wheels just painted/clear coated or are they powdercoated?And, does anyone have any recommendations for refinishers in the Portland, OR area. I have been told that WheelKraft does all the MBenz/Porsche wheel paint repairs for Portland. Anybody experienced with them?

Thanks for any suggestions..... I'm trying to stop the smoke that's coming out of my ears, but it ain't easy.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:18 PM
AC/911's
Banned

Received 94 Likes on 49 Posts
Default 993TT

If you can ship em' out these guys completely strip & paint, top notch work, look new when done , Ive never had good luck with powder-coating. http://wheelenhancement.com/
Old 10-19-2011, 11:35 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry. That sucks. Smart you took pictures.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 242 Likes on 164 Posts

The guy who did mine said paint and clear coat. I had a gouge on one wheel fixed and you can't tell where it was. I had just the small damaged area done because it forces them to match the existing colour. If you have damage on all of the wheels, it's probably worth getting them all redone. You should be able to find a good wheel finisher on your local rennlist forum.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:06 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

I echo that - you should not have to ship them out and pay that premium, look around locally. These wheels are paint and clearcoated - the clear is extra hard (harder than on the bodywork) so its more resistant to road debris, but it also makes it harder to polish.

A good finisher should be able to dismount the wheels, check for true and straighten any wheels that need it, strip the existing paint, fill and finish paint, and remount the wheels.

I use my refinishing shop (http://www.pantherwheels.ca/) when I want to change tires as well - they have to have a good machine since they are mounting tires on freshly finished wheels everyday.

Cheers,

Mike
Old 10-20-2011, 05:59 PM
Slate993tt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear. Check out these guys. I know a few Rennlisters have used them and very happy with turnaround time & Quality. I have not used them myself but will when/if needed.

http://wheelsamerica.com/

Good Luck,
Chad

Quick Reply: Hollow Spoke Refinishing