Sponsored by:

interior headliner lights don't switch off automatically

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 08:40 AM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default interior headliner lights don't switch off automatically

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if it is the R11 relay that needs replacing. thanks in advance - Glenn
Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Do you have them toggled in the right position? IIRC, there are 3 settings;.....off, active with the doors, and on.
Old 09-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Yes, I do have them toggled in the right position. They are in the centre position. They lights stay on all the time if they are in the centre or the forward position.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:53 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The lights are delay triggered by the little switches in the door jam. Have you tried pressing in BOTH switches (one at a time, and holding for a while) to see if one needs an adjustment?

<edit>: on further review, a maladjusted or broken switch would also raise havoc if your lights were on and the engine was off (I think). As if you opened the door. Oh never mind.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the suggestion, Steve. I will give that a try and let you know the result. Best Regards and happy motoring. - Glenn
Old 09-17-2011, 09:14 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

I tried holding in the switch one door at a time but the interior light would not switch off automatically from the centre position. hmmmm
Old 09-18-2011, 10:39 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

The rubber boot on my passanger door's switch was slightly torn. And this is the side of the car that gets hot from the oil lines running there. That switch stop working recently (would not activate the dome light on, opposite of your problem, Berg). I bought some electric contact cleaner from Radio Shack, and sprayed inside the switch. It started working again, and all was good. I bought a new rubber boot from Sunset for about $3. Looks good as new.

This was actually the first time I've ever "fixed" anything on my car. I was pretty proud of myself. And now I finally get to share my story. Am I ready to handle a top-end rebuild?
Old 09-18-2011, 09:16 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

No HTwo O ...... Congrats on your repair. I will certainly keep that in mind and have another look. My problem is a little different as I mentioned because my lights do come on and the rocker switches in the headliner appear to be working perfectly - it is just the automatic timer/delay that has stopped functioning. Are you ready to perform a top-end rebuild? - lets just say that I hope you don't require one anytime soon. Best Regards, Glenn
Old 09-18-2011, 09:36 PM
midcont
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Trunk open?
Old 09-19-2011, 10:17 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Bergamasco
Are you ready to perform a top-end rebuild? - lets just say that I hope you don't require one anytime soon. Best Regards, Glenn
Glenn, I am rock solid at +53,000 miles. No top-end required at this time. My PPI numbers were excellent 2 years ago, and my UOA's suggest my engine is still breaking-in. Maybe someday. But I expect to get another 30-50,000 miles on the Turbo before that's necessary.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by midcont
Trunk open?
Or frunk open? Faulty switch in that location too??
Old 09-19-2011, 01:41 PM
Bergamasco
Rennlist Member

I wondered about that right away. It certainly didn't appear so and the engine compartment was closed properly but I will check for a faulty switch.
Old 09-20-2011, 04:41 AM
Stewart
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe the wire on the back of one of the door switches has come off. It's a simple spring switch that grounds the wire when the plunger spings out as the door is opened. I found one of mine off when hunting for a random alarm sounding problem. The wire was loose, dangling down in door pillar and every now and again would touch the bodywork, hence grounding and making the alarm think that the doors were open. I presume that would also put the interior lights on. It's simple to remove a switch - pull off the rubber cover and you'll see a nut to undo around the switch.

Quick Reply: interior headliner lights don't switch off automatically