WTB: 993TT 450HP ECU

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
WTF, over? This sounds suspiciously like a "butt-dyno" reading to me, Jean. I don't know if I've ever seen one from you before. You sure you don't have some Yankee blood in you?
Hey I have almost half a lifetime in Yankee land, in Denver nonetheless, and three American offsprings, so sometimes some insanity just slips!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:31 PM
oakton1987
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whts the cost to upgrade ECU
Old 08-06-2011, 05:43 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jean
Hey I have almost half a lifetime in Yankee land, in Denver nonetheless, and three American offsprings, so sometimes some insanity just slips!
Ahh well, that explains it!
Old 08-06-2011, 05:55 PM
Spidey 993

I agree, I'm losing HP due to elevation.

However, the comments from this board is that I shouldn't see any noticeable loss of HP due to heat.
And that sir, is not true according to our well known expert and my butt-to-meter, and my eyes watching my boost gauge.

Honestly, last couple days, weather has been cool, I'm running probably 320HP due to the 20% loss at 1 mile high and I would never know I'm not at 400HP. Its fun, boost is good, and car seems sharp. Soon as a 95 degree days hits, everything changes.

I know, time for data, so I plan to fill in data points as I go.

Many thanks for the comments, its been very helpful
Old 08-06-2011, 05:58 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by oakton1987
Whts the cost to upgrade ECU
A tuner would charge about $1,500 (minimum) to "flash" your current 1997 ECU.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:00 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT
Soon as a 95 degree days hits, everything changes.
Tony, I've been out with the Turbo when it is in the low 90's and it still pulls like a muderfukcer! This is usually at about 600-900 feet above sea level.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:03 PM
Spidey 993

lol, I believe you

I got one of the best guys in the Porsche community in my corner telling me Im not crazy, but I still feel like it every time I say it

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Tony, I've been out with the Turbo when it is in the low 90's and it still pulls like a muderfukcer! This is usually at about 600-900 feet above sea level.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:16 PM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Honestly, last couple days, weather has been cool, I'm running probably 320HP due to the 20% loss at 1 mile high and I would never know I'm not at 400HP. Its fun, boost is good, and car seems sharp. Soon as a 95 degree days hits, everything changes.
I don't think you're losing 20% on a cool day, perhaps 5 or 10% max. Turbos aren't called altitude compensators for nothing. On on a 95 degree day I suspect most turbo cars will be losing some power, even at sea level.

Without wishing to sound rude we can speculate till the cows come home - get the durametric lead and log IAT and air mass and report back!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Spidey 993

Agreed

Originally Posted by Felix
I don't think you're losing 20% on a cool day, perhaps 5 or 10% max. Turbos aren't called altitude compensators for nothing. On on a 95 degree day I suspect most turbo cars will be losing some power, even at sea level.

Without wishing to sound rude we can speculate till the cows come home - get the durametric lead and log IAT and air mass and report back!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Listen to Felix. He's actually done this before.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:53 PM
sonny1
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Felix
I don't believe that's the case - so long as you put a drive block ECU into a drive block car it's plug and play. The ECU and drive block computers are not matched to one another.
So, it's the drive block ecu that block the signal for the main ecu to work on obd2 cars, good to know!,cheers.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:11 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I know about ECUs you would be hard pressed to complete a sentence with. I queried this board last week concerning a tt I'm considering that has an Autothority stage one ECU upgrade. The consensus was that it was OK but I inferred little enthusiasm. In any case, the July Panorama has a guy selling just that for $1,300. The claims made in terms of power and torque increase by Autothority on their web site are difficult for me to believe but there it is. Onward into the fog....Cheers. Chris
Old 08-07-2011, 05:44 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

We might be going in circles.

Ambient temperature definitely impacts performance, the question is how much? There is no one answer, it depends on whether you are running a stock ECU and KKK16, how you are driving your car, or whether you are running a tuner ECU without turbo upgrades.

Porsche factory has built enough flexibility in their programming by being conservative, to meet and optimize performance in a variety of driving conditions, including high altitude, heat, and full boost autobahn or track-like driving conditions.

For one acceleration run to, say, 130mph, ambient temp can go to 120F and you will hardly see an impact on performance on a stock ECU/engine. BB993TT might be laughing but I have tested this myself on my ex-stock 993TT in Saudi Arabia's heat, I still have the datalogs of a 100-200kph run. On a tuner ECU it will depend on how aggressively it is tuned. We have seen impressive drops in performance driven by heat soak and timing pull on a couple of "tuned" ECUs that were datalogged on this board with a single high speed run. I challenge anyone to show similar drops on a stock ECU after 20 minutes of hardcore track driving which is multiples of times more demanding on the engine than one high speed run.

The above is applicable to ECU controlled boost programs only. Wastegate controlled boost is a different ballgame.

One has to look at compressor maps and draw the efficiency plots on them for the different boost levels being run.

High altitude impacts by far more than an increase in temps, even on a turbocharged engine. To OP, I don't know who you have consulted, and names don't matter at all, but it would be great if the expert tuner could provide you with the technical evidence such as calculations on mass air flow, pressure variations, density and visuals on the turbocharger efficiency maps about how they are impacted by altitude and ambient temperatures. There is no other way for them to know the truth. Only then they can guarantee your results with the inexpensive solution of altering maps on the ECU.

I have done the calculations and would love to compare notes.

BTw just a comment on an earlier post by OP (#17), the boost pressure that you read on your gauge is the difference between manifold pressure and ambient pressure, so a 0.8 Bar on your gauge in Denver is not the same as at sea level. You need to calculate absolute pressure.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:54 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Jean
BB993TT might be laughing...
Moi? Mais non, pas moi cher Jean. Vous etes l'homme!

Last edited by bb993tt; 08-07-2011 at 10:02 PM. Reason: French spelling sucks. No accent aigu or circonflexe!

Quick Reply: WTB: 993TT 450HP ECU