993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WTB: 993TT 450HP ECU

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 05:12 PM
Spidey 993

Default WTB: 993TT 450HP ECU

Anyone have a 450 HP 993TT S ECU just laying around they would like to sell? It can't hurt to ask.

Check the coach cushions please.

Thanks -
Tony
Old 08-04-2011, 05:38 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,381 Likes on 800 Posts

This 450bhp package was not offered from the factory in the US as far as I know, and buying it from a porsche dealer would be stupid expensive (something like $10k).

The 424bhp ones are not too hard to find (i have one), but the 450 will be tough to find in the us.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:43 PM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
This 450bhp package was not offered from the factory in the US as far as I know, and buying it from a porsche dealer would be stupid expensive (something like $10k).

The 424bhp ones are not too hard to find (i have one), but the 450 will be tough to find in the us.
Spot on, Not USA specced, £5600 in the UK
Old 08-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Spidey 993

Thanks for that input QC and Pervy.

My other option is to just buy another ECU and have that reprogrammed to TTS specs.

Its a shot in the dark I know but I've seen crazier.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:45 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Talk to Kevin at UMW about a flash for your 97 ECU. He can also reflash it back to stock if needed.

A flash with your stock turbos probably won't be noticeable... and here's where you start sliding down the slippery slope.

Leave it alone!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:53 PM
Spidey 993

Well, this goes back to my loss of HP thread due to the elevation here in CO. In that same thread we discuss the impact of the heat and how much that plays into it versus elevation. Many people stated heat doesn't play a significant role.

One way to help get back about 80HP loss is to run a TTS spec'd ECU. Although it won't get me 80HP, it may get me 40HP. Either I have to flash my current ECU or buy a new ECU, get that one flashed or find a TTS ECU.

It's only money.....
Old 08-04-2011, 07:59 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Try www.carnewal.com
Programming for more boost and timing on stock KKK16 will not work properly at altitude. You need to move on to different turbo maps that like 1.2 Bar (<1 Bar effectively at altitude) and ECU programming.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:08 PM
Spidey 993

Well my plan after talking to some experts:

1. Upgrade my ECU to the 993TTS 450HP
2. Add an additional bolt-on inter-cooler to deal with the heat here (I believe Ruf made one)

I know many folks on here believe the heat doesn't play a factor, but I can assure you it does.
We have had 95 degree temps for a week, car was sluggish with very little boost. Today, it was 80 degrees and my car is flying.
I know, I know, I am using the same calculator as everyone else, stating it should matter by 1-3% versus altitude. However, it does.

I also plan to get a dyno in 1 week prior to this upgrade to see what I am running, before and after.

Thanks -
Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe the Euro-spec 450 HP TTs used K24 turbos to achieve that power.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:37 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by ca993twin
I believe the Euro-spec 450 HP TTs used K24 turbos to achieve that power.
quite right.

the 424bhp standard S was just an extra .1 bar of boost.

The 450 was a set of GT2 turbos. Believe it was the x51 package.

You can try to find a standard S ecu, but you may be better off with a good aftermarket ecu.
Old 08-05-2011, 01:10 AM
Spidey 993

Quadcammer,

Can I just tar out my ECU and throw in your 424bhp ECU as it stands? Is it that simple or do I need some reprogramming of some sorts?

Thanks

quite right.

the 424bhp standard S was just an extra .1 bar of boost.

The 450 was a set of GT2 turbos. Believe it was the x51 package.

You can try to find a standard S ecu, but you may be better off with a good aftermarket ecu.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:11 AM
malcolmd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It gets pretty hot here in summer too although at sea level! In the midst of the worst, lets say mid to high 90's with high humidity, lap times fall by about 2% (2s in every 100). Bear in mind this is with sustained WOT application where you are on boost for 85% of the time. This is not something that you can feel with your "butt-o-meter". So I really doubt your issue is heat, and like Jean has said, altitude and octane are the likely candidates assuming no engine imperfections. The inefficiencies of pushing a K16 to higher boost by program are likely to be amplified in lower atmospheric pressure and the 30Hp you might expect at sea level will amount to significantly less at altitude. The factory 450HP kit with K24s is a better option IMO. If you go with a hybrid systems, you must clarify from the developer what impact the low octane fuel in addition to the altitude will have on the output and more importanty, on the safety of the engine. Despite the knock sensor and the Monotronic's retardation of timing, with high boost, heat and low octane, detonation is a real risk in these circumstances. Do you homework here! At your altitude and with lowish octane (and with heat), if you really want more than the 40HP you might get from the factory 450 kit (you won't get the full +50) you really need to look to internals like cams that will help give you the performance without the high boost which, in conjunction with the low octane, puts the engine at risk.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Spidey 993TT
Quadcammer,

Can I just tar out my ECU and throw in your 424bhp ECU as it stands? Is it that simple or do I need some reprogramming of some sorts?

Thanks
Completely plug and play.

ECU is under the drivers seat as I'm sure you know.

The only problem could be an immobilizer miss match. I DID NOT have this issue with the turbo S ecu that I put in my car, but some have. Either way, should be an easy fix at the dealer with a shark tool.
Old 08-05-2011, 10:04 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by malcolmd
It gets pretty hot here in summer too although at sea level! In the midst of the worst, lets say mid to high 90's with high humidity, lap times fall by about 2% (2s in every 100). Bear in mind this is with sustained WOT application where you are on boost for 85% of the time. This is not something that you can feel with your "butt-o-meter". So I really doubt your issue is heat, and like Jean has said, altitude and octane are the likely candidates assuming no engine imperfections. The inefficiencies of pushing a K16 to higher boost by program are likely to be amplified in lower atmospheric pressure and the 30Hp you might expect at sea level will amount to significantly less at altitude. The factory 450HP kit with K24s is a better option IMO. If you go with a hybrid systems, you must clarify from the developer what impact the low octane fuel in addition to the altitude will have on the output and more importanty, on the safety of the engine. Despite the knock sensor and the Monotronic's retardation of timing, with high boost, heat and low octane, detonation is a real risk in these circumstances. Do you homework here! At your altitude and with lowish octane (and with heat), if you really want more than the 40HP you might get from the factory 450 kit (you won't get the full +50) you really need to look to internals like cams that will help give you the performance without the high boost which, in conjunction with the low octane, puts the engine at risk.
This brings into focus the great thing about the 993TT. Doing mods beyond the simple chip/exhaust are soo bloody expensive for the result ($7k+ in turbos, software, etc for another 50/60bhp), that you don't get the huge urge to make these mods.

I used to think I wanted 500+bhp and figured it was fairly easy on a twin turbo car. Now I know otherwise and I'm sticking with my lowly 424bhp
Old 08-05-2011, 11:25 AM
V
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This brings into focus the great thing about the 993TT. Doing mods beyond the simple chip/exhaust are soo bloody expensive for the result ($7k+ in turbos, software, etc for another 50/60bhp), that you don't get the huge urge to make these mods.

I used to think I wanted 500+bhp and figured it was fairly easy on a twin turbo car. Now I know otherwise and I'm sticking with my lowly 424bhp
With the risk of going OT, I'll offer some of my thoughts. I think the 430bhp kit is a nice one as it's factory, totally bolt-on/reversible and does provide some gains over the stock 408bhp setup.

As to what you said Q, it's good that you don't feel the urge to go beyond this stage (424ish). I mean how much hp do we really need? The thread on the NA board comes to mind, great discussion there. On the other hand, you will always want more power and moreover (at least this was the case for me) when you have had an NA 993 for a while and try the turbo, there is just no going back. And that also applies to the 993TT in stock form vs. a 500hp 993TT. I did this exact move myself 993 C2S -> 993TT (408) -> 993 Ruf TurboR and I must say that the leap is almost as big going from the C2S to the 408 993TT as going from 408hp to TurboR. It's huge. And frankly now, there is no going back for me . I'm not saying it's a bad thing where you are now and how you feel about it, au contraire. Just don't ever test drive a turboR (if you havn't done so already). From the 60-120 mph ultimate performance test thread, Bill's otherwise standard 993TT with turboR engine did 60-120mph in 9.1 seconds. The same number for the standard 408hp 993TT is 13 seconds... The numbers speak for themselves...

Quick Reply: WTB: 993TT 450HP ECU