Mass air snsor

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:37 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mass air snsor

What's it really do? How might you know you need one? Will it affect performance? Cost? thanks
Old 06-29-2011, 06:17 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you needed one, I'd expect you'd have a CEL and fault codes. Performance would be down too. I think they are part of the emissions system. Cost about $762.00:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=993ttmain

Last edited by No HTwo O; 06-29-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
If you needed one, I'd expect you'd have a CEL and fault codes. Performance would be done too. I think they are part of the emissions system. Cost about $762.00:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...Code=993ttmain
I do , guess I need one, thanks for the help
Old 06-29-2011, 06:57 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mike, what codes do you have? Post them here. It may not be the MAS. You don't want to just start replacing parts, that are expensive, until you know what's going on.

I meant to say performance would be "down" not "done".
Old 06-30-2011, 03:05 AM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike W
What's it really do?
AFAIK, The mass air sensor detects the amount of air entering the engine and is used to judge how much fuel to inject etc. I believe it is a hot wire and temperature sensor so that with more air, the temperature decreases/changes giving an indication of how much air the engine is consuming. On older cars it was simply a trap door that would open to allow air in and how much the door was open told the computer how much air was entering.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:21 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike W
What's it really do? How might you know you need one? Will it affect performance? Cost? thanks
As basal correctly noted, the MAF has a wire that is heated to a certain temperature. When the air flows over it, the wire is cooled by the air, and then the computer reads how much voltage is necessary to keep the wire at the pre-set temp. Typically once 5 volts is reached, the sensor is "pegged" and additional airflow cannot be measured. This is then paired with fuel tables in open loop operation (engine cold or at WOT), or 02 sensor data in closed loop operation, to give you the desired air fuel ratio.

The car generally runs quite poorly with a bad maf. Odd idle characteristics, stumbling at light throttle, poor performance, poor gas mileage etc can all be signs of a bad maf.

Before you replace it, try cleaning it with CRC Mass Air Sensor cleaner. If that doesn't help, skip right over suncoast, and purchase it here:

http://www.autohausaz.com/search/pro...0Mass%20Sensor

I just saved you $350
Old 06-30-2011, 11:29 AM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
As basal correctly noted, the MAF has a wire that is heated to a certain temperature. When the air flows over it, the wire is cooled by the air, and then the computer reads how much voltage is necessary to keep the wire at the pre-set temp. Typically once 5 volts is reached, the sensor is "pegged" and additional airflow cannot be measured. This is then paired with fuel tables in open loop operation (engine cold or at WOT), or 02 sensor data in closed loop operation, to give you the desired air fuel ratio.

The car generally runs quite poorly with a bad maf. Odd idle characteristics, stumbling at light throttle, poor performance, poor gas mileage etc can all be signs of a bad maf.

Before you replace it, try cleaning it with CRC Mass Air Sensor cleaner. If that doesn't help, skip right over suncoast, and purchase it here:

I just saved you $350
I've also seen where K&N filters (oil impregnated cotton) can do this, and cleaning the MAF often helps. I've not seen in on a Porsche, per se, but lots of other cars I've done work on. Hopefully, it's an easy fix.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

yeah, the oil from the K&N can get on the wire causing all sorts of issues.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just saved you $350
My wrench says I need one. Thanks for the lead - just bought one per your recommendation - ;saved some $$
Old 06-30-2011, 01:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

cool, hope it solves your problem.

good luck
Old 06-30-2011, 01:24 PM
Mike W
Addict
Rennlist Member

cool, hope it solves your problem.

good luck
thanks agian, by the way I used to live in Passaic and work in Clifton.

Quick Reply: Mass air snsor