Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil refill questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011 | 12:56 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Default Oil refill questions

Ok, this is about the most basic question any air-cooled pcar owner can ask, but here goes anyway. I've spent the last few months doing (off and on):

New cam covers and gaskets
timing chain gaskets
New belts
port and polish heat exchangers
Check Valve kit
leakdown tests
CLEAN and detail everything

Now that I'm almost done, I need to *gasp* refill my oil. The last time I did this, I either did it too fast, added too much or something and made a big a$$ mess.

Now that everything is spotless again, I'm looking for pointers:

1) Anybody got a funnel they just love for these cars?
2) Assuming that the capacity is 12.15 qts, do you only add 10 to get it to register at the 1/3rd or 1/2 mark?
3) Is there a rate to filling these cars so they don't overflow? I just don't want to ruin all my hard work

Any thoughts (or insults) are appreciated!
Old 04-19-2011 | 01:02 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Scott, you've been very busy! Nice work. Wish I had your mad skill set.

When I bring my Turbo in for an oil change, I give the indy 10 quarts of Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50. He uses a very long funnel. They pour it very-very slowly. He has a clip, that holds the funnel to the uderside of the rear trunk lid. You can also wrap a shop rag around the filler neck area to potentially catch any over-spill. Slow & steady.
Old 04-19-2011 | 02:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Pull the coil wire.. Put in 6 quarts. Turn engine over (coil wire off) Put in two more quarts, crank engine again. Watch for oil pressure (above 2 bar).. Re-attach coil wire and start the engine. Check the dipstick.. Add as needed to get the oil below the 1st line. When the oil is hot, try to get the oil AT the 1st mark. Put some miles on the car.. Check the oil level.
Old 04-19-2011 | 02:57 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

After reading on here that you needed to pour in the oil very slowly, I was surprised at how quickly I could pour without issue.

Any old funnel should do.

the total oil capacity is probably about 13 quarts as I recall, but nearly 3 quarts of that is retained in the oil cooler up front, and the lines running there and back.

10 quarts put me about 3/4 of the way up the stick and thats where I left it.

I'd say 9.5 would put you about halfway or a little lower.
Old 04-19-2011 | 03:04 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kevin
Pull the coil wire.. Put in 6 quarts. Turn engine over (coil wire off) Put in two more quarts, crank engine again. Watch for oil pressure (above 2 bar).. Re-attach coil wire and start the engine. Check the dipstick.. Add as needed to get the oil below the 1st line. When the oil is hot, try to get the oil AT the 1st mark. Put some miles on the car.. Check the oil level.
Kevin,
it seems like this strategy is A) a bit overkill and B) possibly damaging as you are injecting a hell of a lot of fuel into the cylinders while cranking for long enough to get 2 bar of pressure. Wouldn't removing the DME relay be a better idea?

I added the 10 quarts, removed DME, cranked till I saw 1 bar, and fired it up. No lifter noise, no tensioner rattle, nothing.
Old 04-19-2011 | 03:17 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Scott, you've been very busy! Nice work. Wish I had your mad skill set.

When I bring my Turbo in for an oil change, I give the indy 10 quarts of Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50. He uses a very long funnel. They pour it very-very slowly. He has a clip, that holds the funnel to the uderside of the rear trunk lid. You can also wrap a shop rag around the filler neck area to potentially catch any over-spill. Slow & steady.
Thanks! I would say for me working on the cars is probably more than 50% of the enjoyment of ownership. I don't get a lot of opportunity to drive my 993TT (don't like being pretentious in front of customers), so working on it is a good bonding experience. I'll never be a Kevin, but I'm willing to screw up a few things to learn

I think I'm going to go with Red Line 10w40 this time. I talked to Dave at Red Line and that's their recommended pour for this motor. Hope it works out!
Old 04-19-2011 | 03:47 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by CincyScott
Thanks! I would say for me working on the cars is probably more than 50% of the enjoyment of ownership. I don't get a lot of opportunity to drive my 993TT (don't like being pretentious in front of customers), so working on it is a good bonding experience. I'll never be a Kevin, but I'm willing to screw up a few things to learn

I think I'm going to go with Red Line 10w40 this time. I talked to Dave at Red Line and that's their recommended pour for this motor. Hope it works out!
Suggest reading the oil threads first. Much debate on what to use but a poll indicated most use M1 15W-50, with most of the balance, using M1 V Twin 20W50. I'm a hedger so I mix 'em with 1/3 to 1/2 V Twin.
Old 04-19-2011 | 03:57 PM
CincyScott
Rennlist Member

I actually did a fair amount of research before coming to the RL conclusion. I may still go with their 15w50 pour, but they seem pretty confident that their experience with the air cooled race cars makes them think otherwise.

I just want as much wear protection as I can get and I think the API oils are dumbed down too much for what our cars need.

Open to opinions, but that's where I'm at currently.
Old 04-19-2011 | 05:10 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Run the 20W50 VTwin out of the bottle. Especially going into summer.
Old 04-19-2011 | 05:14 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Quad, I have done this for almost 30 years on every Porsche that I get my hands on. The extra fuel will get pushed out the exhaust valve.. I have never had a flame out when I start the engine>> NEVER...

You aren't going to get fuel wash down the cylinders. The mist will compress and push out the valve.

There are too many folks having problems over the winter/spring time oil change that overfill the engine. The 6 quarts will migrate and pressurize the engien oil galley. The next two quarts gets us to a 100% safe oil level that will NOT give us a overfill situation. Adding 6 quarts prevent the BURP from oil coming up the fill tube.

In the end, its you car and one can adapt to there plan of action. However, if you have already overfilled your engine once and have a cronic smoker, I would recommend the methods that I have mentioned, it works 100%.
Old 04-19-2011 | 06:18 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Scott, I am having great results in my 993 TT with the Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50. I took Kevin's recommendation last year. In 2010 I did just over 15,000 miles in the Turbo. I did 3 oil changes (5,000 mile intervals) last year. One (first) with the Mobil 1 Ext. Perf. 15W50 and 2 with the V-Twin. I have Blackstone used oil analysis for all 3 changes. My reports have all been very good, and improving as the V-Twin gets 100% into her veins.

I'd also say, that I ran Red Line 5W40 in my Boxster the past 3 years with excellent results. Also have Blackstone UOA's to support claim/feelings. So I think Red Line is a good product. I am now running Mobil 1's 5W50 (hard to find) in the Boxster and have yet to pull an oil sample. We'll see in the fall if I continue to use. I'm expecting good results.

Quick Reply: Oil refill questions