Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliable service in Atlanta and smoking on startup

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2011 | 01:48 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Default Reliable service in Atlanta and smoking on startup

Well, after moving to atlanta two months ago, the shipping day for the porsche is finally upon us. The car is scheduled to be shipped tomorrow. I have not driven the car in 5 months or so, so asked my brother to stop by and make sure the car starts before the shipper arrives tomorrow.

Here's the deal: the car started smoking out of the right exhaust on startup and my brother said that after 3-4 minutes it was still smoking. He said it seemed to be running fine but the smoking continued. Frustrating that I could not be there to see what was going on myself.

Possible causes?
  • oil changed several months ago at dealer and not driven but a few miles since (not sure what filter was used)
  • car has been sitting for several months in our condo garage on an angled floor with left rear lower than the rest of the car
  • Car has only been driven 30 miles in the past 6 months since we have been in the process of moving.

Thoughts? I'll have the car down here in a few days and can check things out myself.

Finally, would welcome recommendations for a great, reliable, affordable(?) service place?

Happy New Year to you all....
Old 01-01-2011 | 04:13 PM
smshirk
Three Wheelin'

What side of town are you moving to? There are a lot of good P car mechanics here. Being in the same side of town is a big deal for most.
Old 01-01-2011 | 04:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

do a search on smoking. Its a very well covered topic.
Old 01-01-2011 | 04:29 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by smshirk
What side of town are you moving to? There are a lot of good P car mechanics here. Being in the same side of town is a big deal for most.
We're in Buckead although, at least for a while, the car will be stored in Norcross so anywhere in either area would be great. Thanks
Old 01-01-2011 | 04:34 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Motorwerksracing (Matt is owner, Porsche only) - Cumming, GA (Exit 13)
http://www.motorwerksracing.com/

Kinetic Race Shop (Buford, GA) - Off Exit 8 on 985 (they used to specialize only on Porsche) http://www.kssmotorsports.com/index_speedshop.aspx
Old 01-01-2011 | 04:45 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Can you pull your intercooler to see if you have oil?

This is the single most repeated subject over the 10 years that I have been on this forum..

With the car angled to the rear, basically the oil has migrated to your turbochargers.

You will have to clean the intake system. If this continues to occur you should install my oil sump tank lines.
Old 01-01-2011 | 04:48 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by cannon1000
Motorwerksracing (Matt is owner, Porsche only) - Cumming, GA (Exit 13)
http://www.motorwerksracing.com/

Kinetic Race Shop (Buford, GA) - Off Exit 8 on 985 (they used to specialize only on Porsche) http://www.kssmotorsports.com/index_speedshop.aspx
Thanks. Took a look at their sites and Motorwerks looks interesting. Thanks for the referral. Can anyone comment more on experiences at either?

Appreciate it.....
Old 01-01-2011 | 04:52 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by Kevin
Can you pull your intercooler to see if you have oil?

This is the single most repeated subject over the 10 years that I have been on this forum..

With the car angled to the rear, basically the oil has migrated to your turbochargers.

You will have to clean the intake system. If this continues to occur you should install my oil sump tank lines.
Thanks, Kevin. Until the car gets here I won't be able to do much. I'm hoping that starting, loading and unloading to get it here won't do damage? Is it hard to pull the intercooler? I'm not a mechanic but can be quite handy when I need to be.
Old 01-01-2011 | 07:11 PM
cannon1000
Three Wheelin'

Matt @ Motorwerks knows his stuff. He has a great rate and will not rip you off. He saved me a ton of money replacing my trans. mount. My only complaint is he is cash only. I just prefer paying by CC. I am very happy with him and he gives good advice.

KSS - I went there one time for an oil change....was NOT impressed, I think I got a 3rd rate guy. He did know what he was doing, but he forgot to hook up a cable which I did myself and forgot to put the air filter cover retaining bolt in, which I had to go back for. I get the impression "they" know what they are doing...but I didn't get all the warm and fuzzy's there. Rate was not competitive - I went there because they are 4 miles from my house and it was just an oil change.

Hennessy Porsche in Roswell is great. Their customer service is fantastic and you might even get a loaner, but you will be paying dealer prices.
Old 01-02-2011 | 08:41 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Steve, congrats on your move!

I'd stay away from Kinetic. There are better shops in your area. There was a Rennlist sponsor in the Atlanta area, but I don't remember the name. Sorry.
Old 01-02-2011 | 08:52 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Steve, congrats on your move!

I'd stay away from Kinetic. There are better shops in your area. There was a Rennlist sponsor in the Atlanta area, but I don't remember the name. Sorry.
Thanks. We miss Milwaukee but really like Atlanta so far....especially the weather. So far, sounds like Matt's shop may be the best choice. Appreciate your comments.
Old 01-03-2011 | 11:20 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Steve, what did you decide to do about storage/garage for the Turbo?
Old 01-03-2011 | 07:18 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Steve-

where in Milwaukee did u get your oil change?
Old 01-04-2011 | 01:45 PM
FranzBlamRacing
Former Vendor

We are in the Atlanta metro area, offer excellent rates, and years of experience, Steve. Feel free to call or stop by whenever you get a chance.

Thanks, and we look forward to meeting you.

-FBR
Old 01-04-2011 | 01:48 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by FranzBlamRacing
We are in the Atlanta metro area, offer excellent rates, and years of experience, Steve. Feel free to call or stop by whenever you get a chance.

Thanks, and we look forward to meeting you.

-FBR
Steve, this is the one that I was thinking about, but could not remember the name.

Quick Reply: Reliable service in Atlanta and smoking on startup