Notices
993 Turbo Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car won't Start. Does spare DME relay go in the Fuse Box??

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 06:16 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car won't Start. Does spare DME relay go in the Fuse Box??

Nothing when I turn the key after washing. I have a spare DME relay but can't see anything matching it in the fuse box at the front of the car.

Help!

Bp
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

under the hood...yes
Old 12-03-2010, 07:00 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Under the hood, near the firewall on the pass side
Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks, guys. Turned out to be a poor battery connection in the key fob! Still, I couldn't locate a similar part to the one I have in the fuse box, thus I suspect I may have the wrong DME.
Old 12-03-2010, 11:44 PM
911/Q45
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These came stock with a 944 part#, look at the diagram on the lid to find the right relay.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:14 AM
Felix
Addict
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Have a look at http://p-car.com/diy/relay/ for the location.
Old 12-04-2010, 08:14 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Bill P., I still recommend changing out your DME relay, regardless. It's not a matter of "if" it will fail someday, just a matter of "when". Then, I'd still recommend ordering another spare, and keeping it with the car.

I replaced my DME relay this summer, and have another back-up spare. But, my relay failed on the highway, in a huge rain storm. After a $250 tow to my mechanic, I learned where the relay goes. Wish I knew. I had the spare with me, just didn't know how to replace it in a rainstorm, in the dark, at 4:30 AM and no Owner's Manual (glove box was emptied the night before, because I was heading to a PCA DE Event at Blackhawk Farms).
Old 12-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

No HTwo O: for DE's I recommend that you simply lock your glove box...maybe throw your wallet in there as well so it is not pressing on your butt as your round each turn.
Bill P. I would not replace it until it fails...you can order from Pelican for about $20, dealer charges much more. keep the spare in your glove box beside your spare fob battery
since the problem was the fob battery, I assume the immobilizer was activated so the starter did not turn over...when dme fails car still turns over just doesn't fire.
Old 12-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Bill P.
Addict
Rennlist Member

This place rocks.

Thanks for all of the feedback everyone ( great pix too). Dan, interestingly, it wasn't the battery. It was the little metal connector to the battery that had somehow bent back and lost contact. I didn't have the right screwdriver handy so the guy at the hardware store replaced the battery for me. I noticed that he bent the connector toward the battery as he did so, noticing the connection was loose. I checked the old battery and it was good. Simple things....

Now I DO have the screwdriver WITH the DME and spare fob battery in the glove box.

Enjoy your weekend!
Old 12-05-2010, 08:39 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Turbodan
No HTwo O: for DE's I recommend that you simply lock your glove box...maybe throw your wallet in there as well so it is not pressing on your butt as your round each turn.
Bill P. I would not replace it until it fails...you can order from Pelican for about $20, dealer charges much more.
Turbodan, in order to pass Tech Inspection for the PCA, it is required to have all items removed from the interior storage areas. This is my understanding, at least.

And and OEM (in a Porsche box) DME relay is now over $85 from places like Sunset Porsche. They went up significantly mid-year. You can buy cheaper aftermarket relays but I would not recommend.

Lastly, I have NO money left, so no need for a wallet....and my GT3 seats keep me firmly planted.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:51 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
Turbodan, in order to pass Tech Inspection for the PCA, it is required to have all items removed from the interior storage areas. This is my understanding, at least.

And and OEM (in a Porsche box) DME relay is now over $85 from places like Sunset Porsche. They went up significantly mid-year. You can buy cheaper aftermarket relays but I would not recommend.

Lastly, I have NO money left, so no need for a wallet....and my GT3 seats keep me firmly planted.
$85 - r u serious? Mine failed this summer and I'm on the backup and need to get another.
Old 12-06-2010, 09:58 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
$85 - r u serious? Mine failed this summer and I'm on the backup and need to get another.
I was off a bit. Sorry.

I bought my first DME relay from Sunset Porsche in January for $29.31. After I used it this summer, I bought another back-up relay from Sunset for $58.59. Porsche had a big price increase this summer on parts. Each time shipping was about $5 and I had the part within 2-3 days. The Porsche part number is 993-615-22700.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 520 Likes on 389 Posts

No HTwo O: we have the same rule in PCA here but if you lock the glovebox you can keep stuff in it...logic is the box is locked so shouldn't open and stuff fly out hitting occupants. I find this a convenient place to store my valuables while on track.
+1 on the no money left .
I believe Pelican sells the OEM one for $18.
Old 12-06-2010, 05:10 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 273 Likes on 183 Posts

I bought the OEM DME relay for $27 from Pelican in the summer. Dealer up here wants $113!! The 993 part is quite a bit bigger than the original 944 part and is a tight fit under the cover. Streather recommends you change the part and use the 944 original as a spare becasue the new part is much better.......

Quick Reply: Car won't Start. Does spare DME relay go in the Fuse Box??