Porsche 993 gembala GTR600 Tech Problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 PM
q8_yig
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 993 gembala GTR600 Tech Problem

Gentlemen,

I purchased a 993 GTR600 6yrs ago and at the time of purchase i didn't know much about the 993's. Since i bought the car i have been experiencing a problem. The car shuts down between gear shifts (especially if the AC is ON) and the RPM jitters on Idle as if the car will turn off then back on (oil pressure gauge goes up and down).

At first i thought it was a simple problem, and now 5yrs later problem is not solved. I have taken it to 6 mechanics at first they thought it was related to the air mass sensors so i went ahead and changed them, then they said its diverter valve problem (and even though i thought its not related at all) i went and replaced it with a billet one.

And during my quest to solve my problem, i discovered that my car has a different setup than normal modified turbos, it has a twin Ignition setup (similar to the Andial if not an Andial) with twin ECU's under the seat. one stock looking and the other is not (i'll try to post a pic of it) and when we tried to re-tune the car (by RUF Bahrain) it was locked and they had no access to it at all.

Therefore i contacted Gembala them selves and at the time i spoke with The late Uwe Gembala (may god bless his soul) and he told me that the only way to solve this problem is to ship the car to Germany (which i thought was ridiculous).

Now 5 yrs later i got used to this problem and changed my way of driving in which i would press down the pedal between gearshifts, but still this problem is annoying me. Now im considering changing the ECU if so what ECU shalll i go with (Motec, etc)? and how can i tune the car?

any suggestions?

Yousef
Old 10-20-2010, 05:07 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Hi again Yousef

I know this was a few years ago and I might have got my facts wrong, but if my memory serves me right, I seem to recall that Ruf changed one of your ECUs (no idea which one) just to check and car ran well after that - I could be completetly and utterly wrong and could have confused your car for another car!!! I'm not technical in anyway, but might it be possible to swap one of your ECUs with another one just to see if that helps?

Cheers
Old 10-20-2010, 05:21 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Yousef

I deleted my first post by accident ! Is your car guards red, GT2 kit / wing, lots of carbon and what looked like an extra row of gauges in the interior?

Best regards
Old 10-20-2010, 06:05 AM
q8_yig
5th Gear

Zaid,

Yah that's my car, RUF did exactly what said, and this is how they discovered that it's an ECU problem.

regards,
Yousef
Old 10-20-2010, 06:17 AM
Ziad
Rennlist Member

Yousef

I thought it was your car! Good to see you on Rennlist!!!

How about sending just the ECU to Gemballa, maybe they can fix it and send it back?

Regards
Old 10-20-2010, 09:54 AM
q8_yig
5th Gear

Ziad,

Thanks,

I've proposed that to gembala but they told me u have to ship the car to Germany (which is ridiculous).

I'm really intersted in changing it to a standalone ECU something like motec but i really don't know who is the best man for this job.

I'm trying to research and it looks like many people did this setup previously.

regards,
Yousef
Old 10-20-2010, 10:10 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

You need to find out who did the ECU for your engine. I think in those days there were only a few people who worked on these motors. FWIW your motor is unlikely to have 600hp, 500-520 would be the maximum.
Regardless of the actual hp a good place to start would be contacting Herr Pietz (his website is below) he had Gunther Mandl working for him at the time and I "think" they also got involved in doing some engines for Gemballla.

http://www.t-t-p.de/english/index.php

The car in the link below was one of the "600hp" cars of the era and was a 993RS with the big EVO body (by Gemballa I think) and a 600hp engine which I know was done by Pietz. I assume Pietz "did" the engine for Gemablla.

The car in the vid now has a different engine but at the time of the vid it was a fixed boost boost job( I know this because in was in a shop I used having the turbos repaired following the test below during which it blew !) so it was obviously not using a proper Motronic 5.2 (993tt) setup - could be the same as yours ?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR0Vk...eature=related

I'd send them a photo of everything but TBH I think you are going to be struggling as there is little they can do "remotely". If it is the fixed boost setup then maybe someone like Todd Knighton can come up with something for you which works ?
Old 10-20-2010, 09:10 PM
rinlv1
Rennlist Member

Maybe this twin plug ecu can work... ?? Just throwing it out there.
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2010, 07:47 PM
q8_yig
5th Gear

Gentlemen,

Just drove the car after a 6month break, and i have a new problem.

The car if cutting off while the boost is in the range of 0-0.5 bar, but as soon as its over that range it works perfectly.

any ideas on what might be the problem ?

Yousef

Quick Reply: Porsche 993 gembala GTR600 Tech Problem