Sponsored by:

Dipstick/gauge readings

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 09:31 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Received 283 Likes on 192 Posts
Question Dipstick/gauge readings

If the oil is at the correct level, about 1/3 on the dipstick, the gauge usually reads in the red. Sometimes after an extended run it will read a bit higher. Anyone else experience this? Wondering if I should have the gauge looked at next time the car's in to improve gauge reliability.
Old 07-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Dave911G
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same here... exactly the same. My 911SC has always been that way as well. I've read a few threads about pulling the sender in the tank and bending it a little to get the float to register what the dipstick indicates. I don't think the problem is with the gauge. I always trust the dipstick and have decided to ignore the gauge.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:45 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,414 Likes on 816 Posts

I like to have oil level half way up the stick, and at that point, my gauge reads about 40%
Old 07-22-2010, 11:55 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My gauge and dip stick read the same. But, damn, the dip stick is very hard to read. Let alone pull out past the black intercooler gasket, and still obtain / preserve an accurate reading. The oil is very hot, the stick is very hot, and the oil for the most part is clean and not too colorful (dark) to even see on the stick.

Not to get too far off topic, why do some guys run the oil levels on the "low" side?
Old 07-22-2010, 12:48 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

fear of the overfill and subsequent mosquito fogger 993TT is my guess.
Old 07-22-2010, 01:41 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

No H2O why would you "need" to run the dipstick at the FULL mark?
Old 07-22-2010, 02:14 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Originally Posted by Kevin
No H2O why would you "need" to run the dipstick at the FULL mark?
I don't know. That's the question. Why select "low" or "full"? Why is one choice better (or worse) than the other?

I can see why low would be bad. By running low, you could run the risk of running below low, due to normal oil consumption. But why is full also bad. Full to me does not impy overfilled. It's not like our cars generate more oil and could cause a full car to become overfilled. Overfilled is overfilled (bad).

Properly filled fluids to me seems the right choice. The key being properly done at the right level.

Full, means the oil is hot-hot, car on level ground with engine running.

Last edited by No HTwo O; 07-22-2010 at 02:29 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 03:18 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Originally Posted by No HTwo O
I don't know. That's the question. Why select "low" or "full"? Why is one choice better (or worse) than the other?

I can see why low would be bad. By running low, you could run the risk of running below low, due to normal oil consumption. But why is full also bad. Full to me does not impy overfilled. It's not like our cars generate more oil and could cause a full car to become overfilled. Overfilled is overfilled (bad).

Properly filled fluids to me seems the right choice. The key being properly done at the right level.

Full, means the oil is hot-hot, car on level ground with engine running.
I think the point is that full on the dipstick is simply too much. Halfway on the gauge or below is correct.

With 11+ quarts in the system, I'd say that even if its a quart low, its better than being over full
Old 07-22-2010, 03:33 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Well, I like my stuff full. My beer mug full. My coffee cup full. My gas tank full, and my oil capacity full.

I don't spill any coffee or beer. I don't get gas running out of the filler nozzle onto the paint. And my car does not leak or smoke or use oil between changes (5,000 miles).

The oil is the life-blood in our cars. I'd like the most that can properly fit. It's easy enough to do. Why not do it.

Again, full is full. Overfilled is overfilled. How is full equal to being overfilled?
Old 07-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Well, I like my stuff full. My beer mug full. My coffee cup full. My gas tank full, and my oil capacity full.

I don't spill any coffee or beer. I don't get gas running out of the filler nozzle onto the paint. And my car does not leak or smoke or use oil between changes (5,000 miles).

The oil is the life-blood in our cars. I'd like the most that can properly fit. It's easy enough to do. Why not do it.

Again, full is full. Overfilled is overfilled. How is full equal to being overfilled?
Do what makes you happy. If you want the oil level at the full line, make it happen. People with more experience than most members combined disagree with that strategy, but only you know what will make you happy.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:17 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

I'd prefer mine full too but I get a bit of seepage at the IC hose joints. No smoke though. If I keep it below 1/2 on the dipstick, this problem is eliminated. It's just annoying seeing the damn gauge in the red all the time. I think with the huge amount of oil these cars hold, slipping down a bit - not that I'm advocating it, might not be too big an issue...
Old 07-22-2010, 05:22 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Ronnie, you could always experiment with bending the oil tank sender to see if you can bring the gauge up.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:27 PM
ScottMellor
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ronnie, I pulled my IC last night to do some work and noticed that the IC hoses were damp, but only where they are on the outside of the IC inlet tubes under the Breeze clamps.
The rest of the hoses and the IC itself were dry as a bone.
The Guap' does not smoke either.
Old 07-23-2010, 03:50 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

[QUOTE=ScottMellor;7755273]Ronnie, I pulled my IC last night to do some work and noticed that the IC hoses were damp, but only where they are on the outside of the IC inlet tubes under the Breeze clamps.
The rest of the hoses and the IC itself were dry as a bone.
The Guap' does not smoke either.[/QUOTE

Very interesting. I'll check mine inside. Since no smoke, I'm assuming similar limited oiling...
Old 07-23-2010, 03:52 PM
ronnie993tt
Race Car

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Ronnie, you could always experiment with bending the oil tank sender to see if you can bring the gauge up.
Thanks Quadcammer, I'll add this to the list of fixes when it's in next....

Quick Reply: Dipstick/gauge readings