GT2 mods started

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:19 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 410 Likes on 200 Posts

x 2 of what Simon above says.

I wish i had done (and may yet) a more substanitial cage - the speeds these cars can see.....

Simon.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM
fredcalero
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I will add the X on the back. Seems like the space back there serves no purpose anyways.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's one of the local cage builders with years of experience in building excellent roll bars and cages in Porsches and other race car types:
http://www.tcdesignfab.com/projects.php
There's several good examples there and I've attached some pics from that site to illustrate what I believe to be correct engineering.
Attached Images     
Old 08-03-2010, 02:49 AM
loucel930
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spartan, fredcalero,
nice job, Im doing the same to mine, remove the sunroof, full cage etc
spartan do you have pictures of the headliner, if you use one, I will be installing the RS kit and RS door panels from appbiz.
Old 08-03-2010, 09:47 AM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fredcalero
cage photos: no knee bar, no door bars.
Do the door bars. No reason to cage the car without them.
Old 08-03-2010, 12:32 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by loucel930
Spartan, fredcalero,
nice job, Im doing the same to mine, remove the sunroof, full cage etc
spartan do you have pictures of the headliner, if you use one, I will be installing the RS kit and RS door panels from appbiz.
I'll snap one later. Picked it up from 928leather and installed it myself. With the cage there is a cross bar on the roof so I didn't have to use any of the factory type support bars that keep the liner from saggin. Mine is simply stretched over the cage on the front and rear bar. Looks great and you can't even tell

You'll need to install it while all the windows are out fyi
Old 08-03-2010, 01:54 PM
loucel930
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spartan,
looking forward to see the pics
Thanks
Old 08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
fredcalero
Racer

yea, me too.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:37 PM
Essexmetal
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Guys,

You have to remember Fred's car is dual purpose. Door bars have a downside in that type of application. Besides having to climb over them they actually are dangerous in a street application when you are using stock inertia belts. Contact a bar verses a door panel and the load on your body part is very focused and will break some bones a lot quicker than contact with a door panel. If the worry is you need a bar to limit side intrusion the factory door beam is more than adequate. Door bars are necessary to tie a full cage together, aide in making the cage an integral chassis reinforcement and most of all stop side intrusion when you door consists of just a door skin instead of a full production door.

Without full restraints and a helmet, rollbars and cages are more dangerous to the occupants than a stock interior. Padded or not, contact with them can tear you up pretty bad.

Rick

Rick
Old 08-04-2010, 10:30 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Essexmetal
You have to remember Fred's car is dual purpose. Door bars have a downside in that type of application. Besides having to climb over them they actually are dangerous in a street application when you are using stock inertia belts.
Hence the reason to do modified door bars like Spartan's or Guns951's

"Stock inertia belts" locks as a result of rapid deceleration

My advice to do the door bars leans towards the track useage of his "dual purpose" car

However, I've learned a long long time ago, the "dual" goes out the door once you begin the slid down that slippery mod slope...
Old 08-05-2010, 12:47 AM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, once you put a cage in a car it is no longer suitable as a dual purpose car...
Old 08-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
Well, once you put a cage in a car it is no longer suitable as a dual purpose car...
To you maybe

For some of us and how we use our cars its just fine

Fred you do what you want to the car and drive it however you want. Just remember that your going die driving with the cage on the street and cone filters are the devil
Old 08-05-2010, 12:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's a great product that helps make a cage adequately streetable. Keep in mind, give or take a steering wheel airbag, if you crash in a 993 on the street and it gets to the point you're concerned about impacts on cabin trim, you're already likely to find yourself drinking lunch through a straw in the ICU for quite some time ... personally, I'm less worried about owner-operator pilot error on the track than about a ten wheeler cement truck driving straight over the top of me (as happened to a friend in a 512TR, but the engine took the hit, thankfully.)

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...roll-cage.html
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 AM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

I like Heigo cages as they are modular and can be removed whenever you want, I have had two already and would buy them again. They are FIA homologated. Buying from them if you dont speak German can be a challenge though.
Old 08-06-2010, 09:21 AM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Jean
I like Heigo cages as they are modular and can be removed whenever you want, I have had two already and would buy them again. They are FIA homologated. Buying from them if you dont speak German can be a challenge though.
Can yu provide contact information for the company? I was under the impression that they are out of business.

Jack

Quick Reply: GT2 mods started