Sponsored by:

Shameless Plug for UMW

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 04:29 PM
96_993TT
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shameless Plug for UMW

Hello Rennlisters... I'm posting a shameless plug for the UMW turbo oil return check valves. I installed these about 6 months ago after installing new turbos on my car and I have to say they do EXACTLY as they're advertised. No more smoke and I couldn't be happier. Kevin is a great asset and took the time to meet with me personally to go over the benefits of installing these on my car. This is a relatively inexpensive "upgrade" and a must for any 993TT owner. I'm sure there are other makes offered out there so I don't mean to leave the others out, but I'm only familiar with UMW. Anyhow, just musing over the upgrade and thought I'd share.

Thanks Kevin. Your a standup guy!

No affiliation, just a happy customer.
Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 PM
hal m
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I initially had some issues with some of the fittings and had some leaking. Kevin sent updated fittings and all has been dry since then
Old 06-14-2010, 09:40 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

I have them too and they seem to do a good job. I think it works well when fitted to new or near new turbos but if you're trying to fit them to your old turbos that have some corrosion, it could be quite difficult to thread/keep rust from falling into the fitting/bearings...
Old 06-16-2010, 09:21 PM
993Biturbo430
Intermediate

Default Lots of smoke again!

I had those valves installed a couple of years ago, and initially they stopped the smoking that I had on starting the engine after a couple of weeks' lay off. However the other day, when I started the car that had not run for a few weeks, there was a MASSIVE cloud of smoke, the worst that I have ever had.
The 550 sq ft garage was entirely filled with smoke. After I drove the car for a few miles, the exhaust stopped smoking. I have only put about 3,000 miles on the car since I installed Kevin's (996 TT if I remember well) oil lines and check valves, and my turbos were in very good condition when I did. The car has only about 35,000 miles. Any idea what could be the reason why the car is smoking again?
I do know that I have a small oil leak somewhere, and it drips on the right exhaust, because there is always a little bit of smoke coming from there at idle. But this would not cause so much fumes.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:50 PM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Check this thread..

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-turb...ut-long-2.html

I bet you the oil filter is failing. As a result you have filled your intake system with oil. Pull the turbocharger inlet/intake pipes and see how much oil you have.

I am manufacturing oil sump return lines that will prevent these issues. Since Andial stopped making them, I need to put them into production. This is for the cronic leakers/oil smokers..
Old 06-17-2010, 02:02 AM
993Biturbo430
Intermediate

Thank you for the advice, Kevin. Since getting that smoke 2 years ago, I have always used Porsche oil filters. How likely is it to be the turbo seals needing replacement? I don't think they've ever been replaced (the car is '97).
Where can I find info. on those oil sump return lines? How much time do it take to mount them?
Old 06-17-2010, 04:32 AM
Kevin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 336 Likes on 224 Posts

Undo the plugs to the sump tanks and also look for oil in the inlet pipes. I would spin a new filter on engine.

I haven't posted the thread yet about the return lines yet. I'm building them right now.

Quick Reply: Shameless Plug for UMW