Sponsored by:

The Black Pearl is on it's way to Pfaffenhausen

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 03:18 AM
-CD-
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Thanks Toby and thanks for supporting me throughout this process. Your opinion has been very valuable to me. Talk about "been there done that". In the end (as you see) I opted for the more "street friendly" alternative, which is RUF. I hope you forgive me (I still think Reinhold Schmirler is a good guy )
RS can make all engine layout you want!

RS and Ruf are very close and i think they worked out some engines for each other. Both are excellent engine builders!

But i think Ruf is complete on the 996/997 train and Prototype building and i think they are still one of the greatest aircooled worker, Mr. Lieb is a great guy and i´m the biggest Ruf Fan on planet but i think other guys like Schmirler and Co are a little better updated!

What do you pay for the R conversion and how many horses will be there?

And please post pics from the conversion!

Greetings Christian
Old 04-17-2010, 07:28 AM
TurboM3
Track Day

very nice P car.

what will be the new power?

When it is done, go and get it backhome. enjoy that beauty.
Old 04-17-2010, 02:22 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by -CD-
RS can make all engine layout you want!

RS and Ruf are very close and i think they worked out some engines for each other. Both are excellent engine builders!

But i think Ruf is complete on the 996/997 train and Prototype building and i think they are still one of the greatest aircooled worker, Mr. Lieb is a great guy and i´m the biggest Ruf Fan on planet but i think other guys like Schmirler and Co are a little better updated!

What do you pay for the R conversion and how many horses will be there?

And please post pics from the conversion!

Greetings Christian

Yes they are both top tier builders. I know you are a RUF-junkie too Christian . Lovely car you have by the way!

I went with RUF much for the mystique and the brand recognition that is RUF. So much history. Engineering at it's best. RUF cars are truly unique in their own way. RUF took something great and made it even better. Not many tuners can do that.

As for the price, PM sent.

Regarding the ponies, the RUF TurboR conversion as advertised is 490bhp. RUF are known to be very conservative with their numbers. There was a test on a TurboR in the UK (search old threads) where a TurboR engine was dynoed at 506bhp. So I'm guessing it will be around the 500bhp mark. I hope to get a dyno sheet on my engine on pickup date .

I asked my contact att RUF to take many pictures during the different stages of the conversion. I understand that they can't show everything, but I want the pictures also to prove why there has been new paint on some places on the car (RUF mirrors).

Now I just have to sit back and wait for 5 weeks... huummmmmm
Old 04-17-2010, 03:47 PM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Viggo, you say you hope to get a dyno of your new engine from Ruf ? Does that mean it is going on the engine dyno ?
Not sure why they would need to do that if you are having the "kit" installed ?
Old 04-17-2010, 05:17 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ My understanding is that they all go on the engine dyno in P'hausen for penultimate tuning. Paolo (pmf) witnessed his being done there. Described it as a "very brutal process". Final tuning is done by HP Lieb's butt dyno after an autobahn run.
Old 04-17-2010, 06:58 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bb993tt
^^ My understanding is that they all go on the engine dyno in P'hausen for penultimate tuning. Paolo (pmf) witnessed his being done there. Described it as a "very brutal process". Final tuning is done by HP Lieb's butt dyno after an autobahn run.
What he said
Old 04-18-2010, 04:11 AM
GeorgeK
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

Hi Viggo,
Sounds very promising. As things go, you'll have it before I have mine...
Old 04-18-2010, 05:08 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

I guess you mean "all" the engine built in house since obviously the ones done remotely (when the fly the techs out) do not get on the engine dyno.

The amount of these 490 kits they have fitted remotely makes me wonder what is to be gained by an engine dyno session (since it is not inexpensive to put the engine on the dyno, time, calibration etc it is a costly process) since the generic program is obviously pretty well resolved.

If there is an extra cost element for the engine dyno "work" surely one would want to make the most of this and have some "extra" componentry which needed "dialing in" - not sure what but if the heads are being rebuilt then the new (well new in 2006 ) thin stems valves which allow better cylinder filling would be a no brainer and really I would want some more modern iteration of the turbos they use ? Are they really still using the same hybrids from 1996/7 ? surely there must be some better but similar options which could then be honed on the engine dyno ?
This is what RS do and it seems (to me) to be the right thing to do if one is going through the time and expense of this ?
Old 04-18-2010, 12:11 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

Viggo, awesome project. Keep us updated and lots of pics please.
Old 04-18-2010, 01:42 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I guess you mean "all" the engine built in house since obviously the ones done remotely (when the fly the techs out) do not get on the engine dyno.
Correct. I was referring to those motors done in P'hausen. But I would "guess" that the dyno info is used to improve the brand, regardless of where the work is done.
Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

But I would "guess" that the dyno info is used to improve the brand, regardless of where the work is done.
I don't know what you mean here

I am guessing when Ruf are doing a proper in house rebuild as on Viggo's then the engine dyno run is simply part of the proffessional verification process just like Porsche do it - so Viggo won't actually be paying for the services of a programmer and the 490 map will be unchanged as long as the measured torque curve is within Ruf's tolerance ?

I just get the itch when the engine is out and on the dyno...... you have paid to get it on there and for just a little bit more......etc
Old 04-19-2010, 02:42 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TB993tt
I don't know what you mean here

I am guessing when Ruf are doing a proper in house rebuild as on Viggo's then the engine dyno run is simply part of the proffessional verification process just like Porsche do it - so Viggo won't actually be paying for the services of a programmer and the 490 map will be unchanged as long as the measured torque curve is within Ruf's tolerances
I'm making some guesses here too:

RUF still has an active R&D activity in Paffenhausen.
New products/software/tuning developed there are tested and evaluated on their engine dyno.
Those resulting new bits would be made available to "remote" locations.

Would having the work done remotely be as good as in P'hausen? Probably not because it wouldn't include the professional verification process you mention above. Nor would it it include the tuning process I mentioned. But having the dyno there is still better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:42 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

But having the dyno there is still better than a sharp stick in the eye.
The cost of getting the engine on said dyno is a sharp stick in the eye, hence why I was keen to know what was the "gain for the pain"
Old 04-21-2010, 05:09 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Update:

Talked to my contact at RUF today. Looks like we are doing some more stuff .

The drop links on mine were home made and RUF suggested me to go with the RUF sway bars. That way RUF would setup the suspension "just like the one we sell for the turboR since you already have the Bilstein shocks". So I went for it. The control arms were sloppy so they quoted me 800 euro for that. I told them no and that I would send them my Walrod bushings which are still on my shelf at home and pay for the labor costs . The clutch slave cylinder was toast so I'm getting that fixed. The cylinder heads were deemed "not good enough" so I'm getting brand new cylinder heads. And a new alignment ofcourse. It will cost much more than expected ofcourse but in the end the engine will be as good as new and I will have the RUF warranty to go with that. We are getting closer, three weeks to collection day ! I was also thinking about the "rigid shim kit" for the rear but maybe it's not neccessary. Can you do that later without screwing up the alignment setup by RUF?
Old 04-21-2010, 05:25 PM
-CD-
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vhanzon
I was also thinking about the "rigid shim kit" for the rear but maybe it's not neccessary. Can you do that later without screwing up the alignment setup by RUF?
Viggo, go for it now!

No time is better! Engine is out and you get new sway bars and a new setup
and you safe money and working time!

And you need 6 new heads with under 50tkm on clock? Wow!

Greetings Christian

Quick Reply: The Black Pearl is on it's way to Pfaffenhausen