Sponsored by:

The Black Pearl is on it's way to Pfaffenhausen

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 01:43 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats Viggo.
Details....I need details. What exactly are you having done?
Can they still do the RUF bumpers?
Old 04-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,200 Likes on 1,844 Posts

Originally Posted by vhanzon
Thanks Louis, I know you are not the biggest turbo fan but I'll give you a ride in the TurboR and I bet you'll change your mind! The moment I first drove a 993TT I was hooked.

Happy birthday buddy!
Hey, I LIKE turbos...N/A just suits my type of driving and environment better. I've had the priviledge of driving a friend's Turbo R and all I can say is WOW! Incredible machine. I'll still take you up on your offer though...

Happy birthday to you to buddy. Great present to yourself!
Old 04-14-2010, 03:42 PM
nicu
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

happy b.day and def do the shocks and tires
Old 04-14-2010, 05:48 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bb993tt
.. So let's just call it a little pay-back...
We call it OPM - Other Peoples Money . Fair enough..! I think those last sentences you wrote pretty much sums up what Rennlist is all about, appreciate it!

Originally Posted by ca993twin
Congrats Viggo, you will LOVE the result. Are you doing the Ruf suspension? What other Ruf bits are you doing?
Steve, finally I will join the club . Somehow I had the feeling you would as that very question . I ordered:

-Full TurboR conversion
-Engine revision (including new heads if neccessary)
-Aero mirrors (not the ones on yours but the ones on the CTR2)
-A pillar aero bits
-Tail pipes end kit
-Strut brace
-Mats
-Pedals
-Door sills
-Some new suspension components

That's it I think. I'm not doing the suspension since I have PSS9s on the car already. I'm not doing brakes since I just upgraded the rears to RS items and RUF claims the big reds are up for the task. I would have bought 18" RUF wheels (one piece) but they were out of stock. I think the 19" look just a tad bit big on the 993 (personal opinion). They look great but I like the 18"s better- So I am looking for a set of those. And the bumpers to complete the package ofcourse

Originally Posted by 993MAN
That's awesome Viggo, and happy birthday. (you make me feel really old being only 30! lol)
That car is going to be a stunner mate.
Sending a car of mine to RUF is just a dream.
5 weeks of no sleep though
What a b'day pressie!
Thanks Graham, yes it will be 5 looooong weeks indeed.. But as they say: good news travel slow.. You if anyone should know . Glad to see you back on the road btw .

Originally Posted by FisterD
Congrats Viggo.
Details....I need details. What exactly are you having done?
Can they still do the RUF bumpers?
Darin! Thanks man. See details above. The CTR2 bumpers are out of stock and has been for a few years. I was lucky enough to score a front bumper through one of my RL friends and I am waiting for another RLer to ship me his rear bumper, which should happen any day now! I'll keep my fingers crossed. The RUF bumpers and wheels really complete the package. All this is on the todo list for upcoming winter. All I want to do this summer is drive!

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
Hey, I LIKE turbos...N/A just suits my type of driving and environment better. I've had the priviledge of driving a friend's Turbo R and all I can say is WOW! Incredible machine. I'll still take you up on your offer though...

Happy birthday to you to buddy. Great present to yourself!
Ok so you figured out that it wasn't someone else giving it to me . That would have been even better though . Just come visit Stockholm already and we'll take the pearl for a ride

Originally Posted by nicu
happy b.day and def do the shocks and tires
Thanks nicu, that's coming from a real RUF fan. Fresh rubber it will be! I'm sticking with the PSS9s..
Old 04-14-2010, 06:42 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Viggo,

Re: the Ruf suspension... Not exactly apples-to-apples, but I had the PSS-9 on Waldo, and have the full Ruf suspension on Rufus. Rufus handles NIGHT and DAY better than Waldo ever did... albeit with different tires. For whatever that is worth.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:32 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Your set up sounds very similar to mine. I don't have the RUF bumpers (not there yet) or the mirrors. I am glad that you agree with me on the 18's. I debated and debated when I purchased my wheels a couple of years ago, and went with the 18s. Mark at RUF Dallas told me that the 18s must be out of production as they have not seen any in a long time.

Oh, and definitely get the RUF shifter. I really completes the visual package AND it feels fantastic.
Old 04-15-2010, 04:00 AM
Tour18
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Way to go. Remember us here and post pics as soon as possible...
Old 04-15-2010, 05:43 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 72 Posts

Congrats Viggo

Are you going twin plug ?
Old 04-15-2010, 05:28 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Viggo,

Re: the Ruf suspension... Not exactly apples-to-apples, but I had the PSS-9 on Waldo, and have the full Ruf suspension on Rufus. Rufus handles NIGHT and DAY better than Waldo ever did... albeit with different tires. For whatever that is worth.
I hear ya Steve. However I think I've done my fair bit of due diligence on this. The RUF suspension is nothing more than revalved Bilsteins paired with the RUF swaybars and rigid shim kit. There are many variables that affects how one perceives the suspension to be. The ROW 993TT sway bars are thicker than the US 993TT swaybars so already there is a big difference. I will also install the rigid shim kit as advised by RUF. If I'm not happy with the setup, I will replace the ROW TT sway bars with the RS swaybars, which are actually better than the RUF sways (more balanced at least for track driving). I'm not saying RUF makes bad stuff. Au contraire they make great stuff. However one has to realise that some of the items are just rebranded with the RUF logo and sold for twice the price. Examples of that are shocks (which are bilstein), seats (Koenig), etc. etc. Even RUF said there's not much point in replacing the shocks (FWIW).

I'm very much looking forward to join the RUF club. Too bad I live across the pond otherwise it would have been yet another RUF on your famous gatherings.. I would like to be there !

Originally Posted by Texas993
Your set up sounds very similar to mine. I don't have the RUF bumpers (not there yet) or the mirrors. I am glad that you agree with me on the 18's. I debated and debated when I purchased my wheels a couple of years ago, and went with the 18s. Mark at RUF Dallas told me that the 18s must be out of production as they have not seen any in a long time.

Oh, and definitely get the RUF shifter. I really completes the visual package AND it feels fantastic.
Patrick I thought long and hard before I made up mind on the 18's. They are indeed out of production but Im positive I will find a set soon. They do however only come in 10" wide rears, which is too narrow IMHO. With the sort of power these cars deliver, we could really use 315s tires in the rear. That means we need wider rears. I'm thinking of having a professional shop widen the rears from 10 to 11 or even 12 to accomodate the wider tires.

As for the shifter, I agree it's cool but I will pass. I have a complete TurboS interior. Everything in the "Exclusive" carbonfibre scheme. Shifter, e-brake, SW etc. With deviated stitching. So I'm leaving the interior alone for now

Originally Posted by Tour18
Way to go. Remember us here and post pics as soon as possible...
Will do. Probably in a separate thread .

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Congrats Viggo

Are you going twin plug ?
Thanks Toby and thanks for supporting me throughout this process. Your opinion has been very valuable to me. Talk about "been there done that". In the end (as you see) I opted for the more "street friendly" alternative, which is RUF. I hope you forgive me (I still think Reinhold Schmirler is a good guy ).

Old 04-15-2010, 05:52 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Awesome Viggo, can't wait to see it finished.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:56 PM
ca993twin
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Viggo,

Just as a thought... I thought that the Ruf suspension was revalved bilsteins, different rate springs, and their adjustable rear sway bar. Can you have Ruf revalve your PSS-9, and change the springs (if in fact the springs are different)? Sway bars can be "tweaked" later, as you have mentioned. When Don Thompson (911/Q45 on Rennlist) was looking into suspensions for his street/track Andial 3.8 turbo, he ended up with the Ruf suspension... he felt the extra money was well spent. He is VERY FAST at the track.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:27 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

Congrats Viggo. Making an already great car even greater
Old 04-16-2010, 05:38 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bradford
Awesome Viggo, can't wait to see it finished.
. Thanks buddy, PM sent.

Viggo,

Just as a thought... I thought that the Ruf suspension was revalved bilsteins, different rate springs, and their adjustable rear sway bar. Can you have Ruf revalve your PSS-9, and change the springs (if in fact the springs are different)? Sway bars can be "tweaked" later, as you have mentioned. When Don Thompson (911/Q45 on Rennlist) was looking into suspensions for his street/track Andial 3.8 turbo, he ended up with the Ruf suspension... he felt the extra money was well spent. He is VERY FAST at the track.
I'm guessing the RUF setup is probably better than what I have now. But for that kind of money.. I mean the PO did install the PSS9's which (if paired with the correct sways like ROW TT or RS sways) makes for a great setup. It would be very cost prohibitive to replace them with almost the same thing for twice the money (+ labor). But I hear you. I will try this setup first and see how it feels. Remember that RUF did setup the suspension on the TurboR to be more street oriented than track oriented. For dual purpose driving, I think the RUF suspension is probably the best choice. It will be a good opportunity now when the car is actually there to talk to RUF about the suspension. I just assumed (applying the reasoning above) that it isn't a worthwhile upgrade for me at the moment but I will look into it.

Thanks for helping me out Steve and as I said, very proud to be a member of the RUF club

Originally Posted by Cactus
Congrats Viggo. Making an already great car even greater
.. I saw you were having issues with your paintwork? Hope you got it sorted.. We still have to schedule that mini-meet this summer.. no dates booked yet though.. And the TurboR won't be there.. but could be great fun!
Old 04-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 233 Likes on 149 Posts

.. I saw you were having issues with your paintwork? Hope you got it sorted.. We still have to schedule that mini-meet this summer.. no dates booked yet though.. And the TurboR won't be there.. but could be great fun!
Looking forward to it!
Old 04-16-2010, 09:25 PM
kmy
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 60 Posts

NIce Viggo!!! YOu won't be disappointed!!

Quick Reply: The Black Pearl is on it's way to Pfaffenhausen