Sponsored by:

Air:water intercooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:49 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I once had an Aquamist setup on a supercharged 99 M3 and pretty much hated it. There was always something leaking or not working. The aftermarket air2water intercooler was considerably more reliable. Hopefully Aquamist has improved the system in the 5 years since I had it...

I too had been told not to use it on our motors. Now I'm confused.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:14 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Not our first Rodeo......

LMAO!

Simon.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:54 AM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pstoppani
I once had an Aquamist setup on a supercharged 99 M3 and pretty much hated it. There was always something leaking or not working. The aftermarket air2water intercooler was considerably more reliable. Hopefully Aquamist has improved the system in the 5 years since I had it...

I too had been told not to use it on our motors. Now I'm confused.
They have improved dramatically but even 5 yrs ago they worked great. Install error, ****ty tune or a combo of both. Ran these kits for years. Track miles, blackstone oil reports, logging until we are green in the face. This stuff works and its NOT new technology by any means.

I feel like this is for a different post though and we are getting farther off topic. lol Changing the brain washing that has gone on around here is a long term process
Old 02-02-2010, 11:10 AM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I wonder if the rust "issue" might result from the system leaking/dribbling after the motor is off and cooled down. just speculation on my part, NO experience, direct or indirect
Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Spartan
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dbf73
I wonder if the rust "issue" might result from the system leaking/dribbling after the motor is off and cooled down. just speculation on my part, NO experience, direct or indirect
lol i don't even know what to say
Old 07-03-2010, 12:51 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Raptor
Interested in knowing experience/thoughts about air:water intercoolers. Anyone do it and regret it? or satisfied with the set-up?

Thanks for any help for the uneducated.
Sid-- Is this for your already amazing white cab? Would be an amazing modification, especially if you're going for a stealth/ sleeper effect, & keeping the stock, O.E.M. retractable spoiler! Gemballa did this back in the 993 hey-day. I contacted Heinz, IIRC, a couple years back, who said they're focusing on water-cooled 911s now.

If we meet in Monterey next month, I can hook you up with a RLer who personally knows Gemballa's wrench. Not only is that RLer want a stealth turbo installation, but he loves 993 cabs, & is considering a painted center console, like yours. Let's make this happen

More at Tm Moffatt's "If you could order a new 993 today..." thread, below:
Originally Posted by curve lover
Tim-- I mentioned the rare Gemballa Turbo option with the stealth intercoolers, I think the following photo is the general model. Turbo cab with stock, movable tail ... sweet!
I'd love to get some discussion going on this Gemballa water/air intercooler.
I don't think I've seen much mention of this on Rennlist. Anyone have experience with one of these?
More info in this link to the entire 2000 Gemballa PDF catalog. Per page 6, "500 hp BiTurbo, no rear spoiler required."
Old 07-03-2010, 01:03 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Hope you're enjoying a wonderful Indepence Day holiday weekend
Originally Posted by Raptor
Interested in knowing experience/thoughts about air:water intercoolers. Anyone do it and regret it? or satisfied with the set-up?
RLer poorb0yw (Princeton Wong) may be a great one to ask.

More discussion of his custom 993 & stealth intercooler installation on the "Speedster type 993 photo thread"
Oil & water cooling to a turbo:

Water tank filler cap location:

... 440 hp to the pavement!

Feature article behind what you see here: Princeton's Custom Turbo Porsche from Houston-Imports.com
Old 07-03-2010, 01:47 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

At the Dana Point Concours, Speedy was placed next to an AZ-owned narrow-body 993 with air:water intercoolers, as well as a twin-turbocharged 'stealthy' installation that retained the O.E.M. movable spoiler.

It was featured in Excellence Magazine's April 2006 issue.

Information on the build can be found on TurboKraft.com: "Mike's 1995 Carrera 2 Twin Turbo "Sleeper"."
I didn't get to meet the 993s' owner, Mike, but the guys there representing Turbo-Kraft seemed great, & passionate about performance Porsche modifications.

The water reservoirs were engineered into the front bumper.

^^ Photography copyright & courtesy of Chris Carroll, owner of Turbo-Kraft.

Last edited by curve lover; 10-27-2012 at 11:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-12-2010, 07:53 PM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Chris Carroll was VERY helpful when I was considering a stealth install. (Actually, more of my aversion to a whale tale than a need for stealth). Turbo Kraft seems like a great shop. Unfortunately, I have a tip and Steve Weiner said it wouldn't take the turbo. So, back to the modrawing board.

BTW, Jaeger knows all.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by 600RR

Jaeger knows all.

Not so fast ^^ I just try to learn from smart enthusiasts.

...Chris Carroll definitely qualifies

^^ Photography copyright & courtesy of Chris Carroll, owner of TurboKraft.com.

Quick Reply: Air:water intercooler