Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GT Wing, real or fake?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010 | 05:44 PM
TurboIXXI
Racer

Default GT Wing, real or fake?

Not affiliated with this ad , but i was looking for a legit gt2 wing a few weeks ago and found this today. I was wondering how experts were able to tell if this is real or a copy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsc...Q5fAccessories

also, are these wings even available brand new from the factory?
Old 01-26-2010 | 07:51 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

There is a sticker on the underside with the part number. If it's a real one that's a good price as they are not available through Porsche Motorsports.
Old 01-26-2010 | 11:31 PM
Tour18
Banned

I started to send him a question about the sticker. My serial number is 08175. Part Number 993 512 017 80 . When I had it painted black (it was silver) I was really afraid they would paint over or mess up the sticker. There must be two versions. My version has a much larger intercooler opening than the stock wing. I can only guess it is a race part for a larger intercooler. The stock intercooler shroud is useless as it does not come close to filling the space. Any information on these wings would be most appreciated. Here are pics of the two types of stickers I have seen. My sticker is the first type with a serial number. Funny, both of these stickers are on black wings to begin with.

Ray Joseph had a race GT2 with like 9 miles on it years ago. It had a brake cooling duct on each side that ran up and (when the deck was closed) aligned with holes fed by the scoop on each side of the wing. My wing has holes which would serve this brake cooling duct with collected air. I saying this without knowing for sure if that is what the ducts fed. Regretably I did not examine this detail of the engine bay adequately. If I am wrong in this observation, please enlighten me.

Also, my wing has wire screens on the side intakes.

It would be interesting to know if the serialized wings are constructed differently, inspected differently, meet any special standards, etc. Inquiring minds wanna' know... Also, any pics or sources for the rear brake cooling ducts for these wings would REALLY be appreciated.

Last edited by Tour18; 01-27-2010 at 02:03 AM.
Old 01-27-2010 | 12:25 PM
Jean
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

TurboIXXI

At this price it'd better be an original. You can contact some of the European racing teams who ran GT2s and might have used ones thrown around, I know Konrad Motorsports had one not too long ago. The only (main) difference between the plastic original and the FG replica ones is the weight, sometimes can be up to 10 times lighter. If you are getting the wing for looks only go for a replica one unless you want to keep everything oiriginal, functionality is the same.

Originally Posted by Tour18
Ray Joseph had a race GT2 with like 9 miles on it years ago. It had a brake cooling duct on each side that ran up and (when the deck was closed) aligned with holes fed by the scoop on each side of the wing. My wing has holes which would serve this brake cooling duct with collected air. I saying this without knowing for sure if that is what the ducts fed.
The scoops in the wing feed the intake/turbos with fresh air via a ducting hose.
Old 01-27-2010 | 02:26 PM
Tour18
Banned

Thanks Jean. Is there an air filter between the scoops and the turbo air intakes?
Old 01-27-2010 | 11:36 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

humm, that would look good on my car and no painting needed...
Old 01-28-2010 | 12:17 AM
TurboIXXI
Racer

Thanks for all the info, this is great to know.

Cheers!
Old 01-28-2010 | 02:42 AM
WHB Porsche
I'm Still Jenny
Rennlist Member

I've never seen an AR GT2 - and why would one be in Arizona?
Old 01-28-2010 | 09:14 AM
Tour18
Banned

If anyone has any pics of how the grill is installed on a factory GT2 wing I sure would appreciate it. I'm, embarrassed to say I glued mine in. The larger intercooler opening in the wing precluded the mounting points for our stock grill. No problems so far, but I'm too old to ever accept adhesives when nuts and bolts are still in prodution...
Old 01-28-2010 | 02:12 PM
pstoppani
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tour18
but I'm too old to ever accept adhesives when nuts and bolts are still in production...
Then you had better stay away from any serious sports car made since about 2005! I think my Lotus has but a handful of nuts and bolts in the entire chassis! Lots of orange glue though ...
Old 01-28-2010 | 08:43 PM
Tour18
Banned

It's ok when engineers do it. When I use adhesives of my own choosing, well I just son't feel real comfortable with that...LOL...

Quick Reply: GT Wing, real or fake?