Sponsored by:

Take Me Back In Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
DM993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sfbanchs
That may very well be the case but below vidoe definetely provides some motivation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr2y4yEhrtQ
They do make an amazing sound. That cannot be disputed. I have been very tempted to buy a 355 spyder for 45 - 50, rip it around for a summer and flip it in the Fall. How bad can you get hurt??
Old 01-10-2010, 04:21 PM
IamSMC
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Barney1
Great stories..I wish there was a way to get a copy of the window sticker...I have the build sheet form Porsche, but I want the sticker.
You can at any Porsche dealer.

But access is limited.

I was able to see mine when my buddy was working for a Porsche dealer.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When these cars came out in 1996-97, I was 26-27 y.o. My dream car was the 993tt, but I knew I couldn't afford a TT or even a 993 for that matter. Nonetherless, I had to have a 911, and a guards red/cashmere one at that! I had lambos, ferraris and 911's on my wall as a kid, but the 911 Turbo's hips always won me over.

I had a client selling his 1981 911SC perfect color combo. It was lowered and had a Gemballa side skirt/front air dam kit, which made the back look more like a widebody. I bought it with most of the records and adopted the mechanic relationship he had who has turned out to be one of my best friends and confidants in all things Porsche.

I then traded up to a 1996 993 cab to get closer to my dream of a 993tt. Same color combo but at fours year old it only had 11,000 miles on it and my friend was buying my 911SC to keep it in the family. I kept th 993 cab for 5 years until February of 2005.

In 2004, I had a great year in business and decided it was time to step up to the plate. At 34-35, I felt I was also old enough to get it and tell everyone my mid-life crisis came early. :-) My wife and I still laugh at the fact that I used to tell everyone my mid-life crisis started at age 27 with my first 911. My wife tells everyone there's only one girl that she gives me permission to run around with, and it's the car (Heidi).

Anyway, I searched and searched and searched and narrowed it down to Old Guy's BEAUTIFUL Midnight Blue 993tt that all kinds of cool stuff done to it, or Pete's Guards Red that only had 12,900 miles on it. Staying true to form, I could not give up Guards Red or the low mileage OR the unbelievable stuff Pete had done to the car.

So here's the cool 993tt history part: I live in Nashville, TN. The car was bought in Knoxville, TN, only 2 1/2 hours away. The original owner (whom I still want to find) rarely drove it. I think when Pete bought it in 2000, it only had 3,000 miles on it. Pete bought it and had it trucked to PA. He added 9,900 miles to the odo over 5 years. Never driven in any inclement weather or salt by the first two owners, so I lived up to that as well.

I bought the car of my dreams from Pete who lives just outside Philadelphia in February 2005. I also brought the car back home to it's original state (where it gets a chance to be driven more due to warmer climate). I have considered driving to the original dealer to ask for copies of everything they have, and then also trying to find the original owner to ask him about his purchase of the car. I have the original window sticker, the Porsche CofA, and every record for every service, part or aftermarket add-on ever done to the car by all three of us. Come to think of it, the Knoxville dealer probably doesn't have anything I don't already have.

I'm a happy man.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:03 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

These lovely ladies are Gretchen I and Gretchen II before Heidi came along.
Attached Images      
Old 01-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Pics of the third girlfriend, Heidi.
Attached Images     
Old 01-10-2010, 08:03 PM
TurboLaal
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was 17 when I first laid eyes on the 993 Turbo...I also knew that I had to have one! I remember telling people I worked with that it was my goal to have one before age 25, unfortunately for me the resale on the 993 Turbo was so good that it made it unfeasible for me till 2009, I got it on Friday March 13th...13 has always been my lucky number I guess I did go an roundabout way to getting it having and still owning a 98 Vette (purchased in 2001) a 93 Supra Turbo (purchased in 2003) and a 06' Lotus Exige (purchased in 2007) before bought the turbo. If I would have just waited and not purchased those other cars I almost could have made it! I am extremely happy with my 96' Arena Red 993 Turbo, my dream car...Everytime I bought one of those other cars I had a guilty feeling in the back of my mind and I secretly called my self a traitor...I am so fortunate that I can have all four of those cars in my stable. I often go out to my garage just to look at the 911, my favorite view is of course from the rear I am so smitten.

I also wish I could get a copy of my original window sticker?

Thanks for all the great stories!

Russ
Old 01-11-2010, 12:47 AM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Great story Russ. thanks for sharing. I could have made it a year or two earlier had I not bnought the first two 911's. but think of all the fun I would have missed from 1997-2003. The same goes for you...I am sure you've had fun along the way...and now you're here!!!
Old 01-11-2010, 02:26 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

1996, I'm a chief resident, one of the new cardiac surgeons just ordered a new blk on blk 993tt, white faced gauges and sport seats, for a minor premium. I've seen the car daily for the past 11 yrs and still am in awe. One day I'll own that car.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:30 PM
PramTT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Back in 1994 when Porsche came out with the 993, I was already drooling especially since almost everyday on my drive to work, I would frequently see this light blue(Candy Blue?) 993 coupe (with the basket case rear brake light). Later on that year Porsche released the Carrera 4 and I test drove both the 2wd and the awd at Circle Porsche in Long Beach. At that dealer they got a 1994 3.6 turbo with low mileage but with the wrong color (British racing green) but I fell in love with the wide rear look of the 911 turbo. Shortly after the Mags came out with the 993 turbo review and got my attention with the "Sell your Soul" comment. Went to pretty much all local Porsche dealer in SoCal and no more allocation except in Vasek Polak Porsche (where I bought my Audi a couple years earlier). They told me to put a deposit and choose the color (I chose Silver). Sometime in early April 1995 my salesman called me and said they got my car, went to the dealer same day and they got a black and a red 993 turbo. I asked him where is the Silver one?? He said you have to wait for the silver one but they are taking offer on the black and red one. Asking was $20k over. I asked for my deposit back and went home. Called around and a salesman from Circle told me that he know of a unallocated Black 993 turbo still on east coast port going to Hawaii dealer for MSRP.

Contacted the Hawaii dealer and agreed to send $10k deposit to change the destination dealer to Santa Barbara Porsche (same ownership as Hawaii dealer). Several days later got a call from Hawaii dealer sales manager that insisted that I sent him the full payment in cashier check in order for him to re-route the car to the Santa Barbara Porsche dealer. I decided not to go ahead paying in fully for a car sight unseen. Deal was off . . .

I was accepting the fact that I cannot get a 993 turbo at that time and called my salesman in Vasek Polak on why I have not received my deposit back. I also told him that I located a black 993 turbo going for MSRP. He asked me how much am I willing to pay for the 993turbo, I said no more than MSRP. He said I'll call you back. Within less than 10 minutes he called back and it is a deal at MSRP, the black one or the red one? I said the black one and that evening in April 1995 I drove my 993 turbo home . . . .

The new 997.2 turbo is really giving me the itch but yesterday after driving my almost 15 yr baby, the itch kinda subside . . . .
Old 01-11-2010, 04:36 PM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

^Great story, PramTT! Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:37 PM
9caregiver
Racer

Not mine but in my possession, my friend bought two 1997 turbo "S"s new, one yellow & one black. He cherished these and drove his Ferrari's & AMGs and just left these to admire. I had them on here for sale for a very short time as he passed away & I still have them here to care for and admire daily. The yellow one has 76 miles, the black one 179 miles. Shame he passed away before he ever had a chance to enjoy them. Life is short, get out and enjoy your family, friends and Porsche's.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:27 PM
Parnelli
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 9caregiver
Not mine but in my possession, my friend bought two 1997 turbo "S"s new, one yellow & one black. He cherished these and drove his Ferrari's & AMGs and just left these to admire. I had them on here for sale for a very short time as he passed away & I still have them here to care for and admire daily. The yellow one has 76 miles, the black one 179 miles. Shame he passed away before he ever had a chance to enjoy them. Life is short, get out and enjoy your family, friends and Porsche's.
Wow, PLEASE let us know if those 2 cars ever go for sale
Old 01-11-2010, 08:40 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9caregiver
you are kidding, right ...
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 296 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by beers4all
you are kidding, right ...
negative....
Old 01-12-2010, 08:56 AM
9caregiver
Racer

A shame is when you take your son to a museum & you hope to see a turbo "S" as it was delivered because you once owned one or it was one of your favorite P cars you lusted for and you can't find one. Mike was a great guy and drove his Ferrari's & other exotics regularly, he just chose to preserve these and talked about how cool it would be to see one end up in a museum some day. They were not bought as an investment, whatever these cars sold for when the day came would not change his lifestyle (wish I could say the same for me). The other waste/shame is that he was taken at 53 years old & left behind 3 beautiful daughters and a loving wife. I hang on this site & Pelican numerous times daily and as you see from my low post count sine April 2003 I do not say much. I just thought some of you would like to know these two rare turbo "S" car existed. I admit, it is a shame he never had a chance to really drive these before he left us. BTW, I just turned 125k on my 993....

Last edited by 9caregiver; 01-12-2010 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Take Me Back In Time