Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take Me Back In Time

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
BigInJapan
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for sharing with us caregiver. I'm sorry your friend left us so young...

Great stories guys; I'd love to hear more. This thread makes me feel incredibly fortunate to be alive, healthy, and able to enjoy such a special car...and to be part of such a special community.

Ian
Old 01-12-2010, 11:18 PM
Robert Collins - 96 993TT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Amen to that, Ian...and caregiver.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:28 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JJayB
I'd been racing my'86 944 trubo for 8 years and when I read about the new 993 turbo, I had to have one...

As many of you know Blackie was recently sold to a new owner who will keep it in the tradition of tracking it as it was meant to be.
First your 994 TS was just a little tweaked! - but Blackie was/is awesome.

I can't believe you sold Blackie! I guess I should have run into you at the 76 station more often - last time I was in the GT2 and you were gassing blackie and awaiting the Black!

Whoever got Blackie got a fine piece - if he should surface again remember me!

JCM

Last edited by supercup; 01-13-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:45 AM
supercup
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

When the 993 TT came out I was on my 2nd Porsche, first was 89 -928 GT, 5 speed then the motor puked on the track and a few weeks later I was at the track in a 89- 944 TS with 1,800 miles on it. The prior owner used took exceptional care, more of a concourse guy. The week after I bought it I was the the track with the "linen" interior removed - the guy who inspected it for me was at the track and said "man if this guy saw this car at the track all taped up, interior out he would die on the spot"!

Anyway back to the 993 TT, my uncle got a yellow one and I was hoping to get one as well, but they were at the top of my price range for sure. I was at the dealer discussing an order at over sticker and they had a 96 Iris Blue 993 C4 with factory aero kit, sport seats, carbon etc. on the showroom floor and really wanted to move it, but I wanted a Turbo. A month later I owned the Iris Blue car and loved it. I alway regretted not stepping up for the Turbo.

Fast forward 2 years the C4 is spending most of its time at the track, has a Porsche Cup car suspension in place, roll bar etc.. but still is a real nice car. I go to the shop after a track weekend in 1999 and tell them well car weighs to much interior has got to go. Shop says "no" car is too nice - sell it, buy a Cup car - so 6 weeks later I have a 993 Cup on the way from Europe.

Since I missed the last Turbo allocation I got my deposit for the 996 TT in early - 2nd in line in San Diego. Well time comes to order the car and they tell me they have "no record" of my deposit and unless I can produce evidence tough luck and allocation is all sold out. I can't find the stuff so once again I am without a street Porsche and no closer to my desired Turbo.

So I go on a search and end up buying a midnight blue 993 TT, grey interior, sport seats, carbon - 6,000miles, original owner - sweet car - from Cleveland Ohio. I get is shipped out to S. California and it is beautiful.

While it was in transit I found my deposit records for the 996 TT. Call the dealer they apologize and say I can order the 996 the next day and have a car in 12 weeks. I go ahead and make the order.

993 arrives and is a fantastic car. My buddy comes over and drives it and says well you get the 996 and I will buy this one from you. I say ok - and 30 days later I no longer own a 993 Turbo. He still has it with 18,000 miles on it but won't let it go.

The search began a few years back for another 993 TT - but it has to be Iris Blue and have grey interior - I have come close - a beautiful one came up at Premier with 8,000 miles last year, but the interior was not what I was looking for (linen, with blue piping, blue dash and door panels, I am not a blue interior guy). I know it will come my way and when it does I can once again be a 993 TT owner!

JCM
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 AM
No HTwo O
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The great stories keep coming. Thanks for sharing, guys!

Lots of passion in these great tales. There are some strong common bonds in many of these journeys to the 993 Turbo ownership. We have much more in common than just our cars.
Old 01-13-2010, 07:45 PM
Dick in TN
Racer

At the time the new 993 TT was announced in '95 I was driving my third 911, starting with a '66 I bought in '72, then a bought new '78, and last an '86 bought in '88; all had been daily drivers. I wanted to buy the 993TT in it's last year of production, and by late summer/early fall of '96 we knew the '97 model year would be the last for North America. I was living in Vicksburg, MS then and in October went to the dealer in Jackson who told me they were told they would be getting one '97 Turbo, it wasn't sold and I could have it but they hadn't received the allocation and couldn't say when they would. That was a little too vague for me, as I knew Porsche had reduced their output of TT's and would be shifting to the TTs by late January '97.

I immediately started calling the larger dealers and after several misses found a car with a November/December build date available from Champion Motors in Pompano Beach due to a cancellation. Although Champion had this car on order there was still time for me to spec it the way I wanted it; I wired the $10,000 to lock it in.

I really agonized over choice of color, as I planned on keeping this car for a long time. I had owned a blue '66, a chocolate brown/cork '78 (ordered that color, never regretted it), and a silver '86. I was ready for another "you don't see this everywhere" color, had I not owned the silver '86 I probably would have ordered silver. It came down to Guards Red, Speed Yellow. and Arena Red, finally choosing AR. I sometimes wonder if I should have ordered another color but one look in my garage and I am happy again.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:13 PM
Dick in TN
Racer

On with my story, didn't mean to post quite yet but accidently hit enter.

I took my car to San Antonio Parade in '97, won my class in the autocross and got a second in Concours. That was the first time I autocrossed this car, although I had autocrossed the '78 and '86 a lot. I also went to the '05 Hershey Parade and won my class there, but other than these and maybe two or three other times at regional autocrosses, I don't autocross this car. I DE'd twice at Road Atlanta but decided I just had too high an investment to risk it. I had DE'd the '86 twice at RA also, every time at these DE's somebody hit a wall and I spun out once, didn't hit anything but took out the viscous coupling, that is bad enough.

I drive my car a little less than 4K miles a year and do all my own service on it, will probably keep it forever.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM
JJayB
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by supercup
First your 994 TS was just a little tweaked! - but Blackie was/is awesome.

I can't believe you sold Blackie! I guess I should have run into you at the 76 station more often - last time I was in the GT2 and you were gassing blackie and awaiting the Black!

Whoever got Blackie got a fine piece - if he should surface again remember me!

JCM
Jon,
Didn't know you were lurking on the boards. Blackie went to a good home.

Fwiw, Supercup and I met years ago racing in POC with 944 T's. Jon is an accomplished off shore powerboat racer and sports car guy. See you at the 76.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:25 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 313 Likes on 254 Posts

One year later, any more stories?
Old 01-04-2011, 01:01 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,425 Likes on 825 Posts

I was 13 when the 993TT came out. I remember reading an article about the Turbo S in car & driver or similar, and thinking what a beautiful car it was.

I got distracted by the more affordable 1995 BMW M3 and a heavily modified cobra for a while, but I knew I'd buy a 993TT at some point. Back in 2006, I was l--l close to buying a gorgeous low mile 1996 C4. Car drove great, but I couldn't pull the trigger at the time. For the next few years, I would look on ebay or autotrader every few months, but the prices were more than I wanted to spend for a "fun" car.

Finally, I made a thread on here in late october, early november 2009 about whether you could get a 993TT "driver" for less than $60k. That just so happened to coincide with my graduating from b-school, so I made it my graduation present to myself.

A rennlist member sent me a PM asking me to look at his car. Looked good, went through the standard buying process, and flew out to california to pick it up on December 2.

Drove it home and had it since. Hasn't been all smooth sailing, but once the car is right, I can't think of anything I'd want to replace it with.

Last edited by Quadcammer; 01-04-2011 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:10 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend of mine claims to have the very first 993TT imported into the US. I don't know if that's true or not, but it's his story and he's sticking to it. I'm sure it's a very early one, that's for sure. He was CEO of a company in Reno and PCNA was headquartered there then. He rubbed shoulders/played golf with the PCNA CEO, was a long-term Porsche guy and was able to take possession of a Guards Red over Cashmere car fairly early in '95.

For a wedding anniversary present later in the year my wife flew me up to Reno to get a ride in the car. I was absolutely blown away. This was in Nevada, remember. To make matters worse/better/whatever he let me DRIVE it and suddenly my '78 SC didn't seem so great anymore.

Fast forward a couple of years and he tells me he's going to get the first 996TT in the US (these things were important to him) and I could have right of first refusal on the 993. I immediately said yes and told my wife about it later. This was still a $100k+ car. As you all remember Porsche took a looong time introducing the 996TT, but he kept assuring me the car was mine. Long story short 996TT comes out, he gets the first (?) one in the US but the PCNA guys have convinced him to keep the 993, as it's the last of the air cooled turbos, investment/collectability, etc., etc., etc.

I'm devastated, but by now am thinking of myself as a 993TT owner ... so the search begins. Took me about a year to find the right one ... which became the RUF ... which is now owned by someone else.

But at least I still have blackie. My friend sold his company and is now a collector of Porsches (primarily race cars) with about 50 very fine examples.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:38 PM
V
Rennlist Member

Nice story B, I like it . Now go and get a few pictures of your friend's garage
Old 01-04-2011, 05:14 PM
bb993tt
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, it's more of a warehouse than of a garage Viggo. No wait, it IS a warehouse, which doubles as sort of a boys' club for his friends and him - big screen TV's, bar, game tables. I haven't been then in a few years (it's about 3000 miles from here) but the collection then included a 1958 Type 718 RSK Spyder, a 1960 Abarth Carrera (Sebring '62) a 904, a 906, a 1973 RSR (Le Mans '73), a 935 K3 and many others. And I'm sure it's been added to since I was there last. As they would say in the Michelin Green Books it's "worth a detour".
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM
UserA
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 82 Posts

This is the stupid thread that made me sell the C2S and buy the Turbo.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:25 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

This is a cool thread,lot of reminiscing... I got my 993TT in '97 traded my fourth porsche a monster
black '94 turbo that was the fastest car to date I had the cajones to drive 176MPH extended alligator
alley..
I was 39 years old my 965 had 50k miles and the TT was one year old 6k miles + cash and I still have
her today..thanks Bert

Quick Reply: Take Me Back In Time